Notifications
Clear all

Shuttle

shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I figured I had to try making a spaceship for myself sooner or later.

Trying a simple shuttle design for Pioneer. One box and some bevels and extrudes later.

Tell me how it sucks so I can improve it / myself :

shutle1.jpg

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Why would you say that sucks ? It actually looks really good !

ReplyQuote
Fish
 Fish
(@fish)
Senior Chief Registered

looking good dude

are you going to hollow out the flight deck?

and don't forget to think about where maneuvering thrusters are going to go

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Oh, I like that. And we need one too 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Don't knock yourself, that's a good looking design 🙂

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Great, thanks will then "carry" on 🙂

looking good dude

are you going to hollow out the flight deck?

and don't forget to think about where maneuvering thrusters are going to go

I have made some landinggear compartments, maybe it should have a window along the side too?

Maneuvering thrusters, yes I need those too, thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

shadmar++

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

maybe it should have a window along the side too?

If I'm correct in assuming that the orange areas in the front represent glass, I think the question was are you going to make them transparent and put a cockpit inside? You know that's what we all want.

I'm wondering about the scale of the grid. Is that 1 meter/square? I'm thinking that would make it a bit too small. Or is that the idea?

Oh, and ditto to all the kudos!

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

Boxy design is good design. Old-school and cool.

Keep it up. For a first ever model it's quite awesome.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

A couple in the modelviewer before I start on thrusters. Not sure if interiors are an good idea. But it looks good tho. Anyone got a pilot ?

shuttle1.jpg

shuttle2.jpg

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I think no interiors. It adds complexity that we don't need. Make the windows opaque.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Are you saying that we can't put cockpits in the ships we design for Pioneer? That would put a bit of a damper on things.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Once you have a cockpit then invariably people want to see a pilot, or multiple people to match the number of crew, or blinky lights and other junk that add code complexity and lower the frame rate for no actual in-game benefit. So I think that the ships in the core game should take the easy route and have opaque windows.

Of course you're free to do as you like in mods.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Yeah, no interiors for the core ships. It's a can of worms: why do all the pilots look alike, why don't they move, why does this this abandoned ship still have someone in it etc...

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

Real future spaceships probably wouldn't have traditional cockpits anyway. And we don't need transparent cockpits, we've got a camera. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

Real future spaceships probably wouldn't have traditional cockpits anyway. And we don't need transparent cockpits, we've got a camera. 🙂

Of course   , we can delete nav lights because we have scanner to see alls ships around us , we can also delete landings gears because, in the future , all ships used sustent  levitation system, and finally we can delete trusher because with bionic proplusion there is no gaz emission . 😀

and after 1000 years of time gaming , all ships whas deleted, because we finally found the  G.U.T.S.( galactical universal teleport system )

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I personally don't mind them having visible cockpits, occupied or empty.

You could colour the texture of the cockpit "glass", use a high-specular map so it's very shiny so it's harder to see clearly what's inside like on the space shuttle or spacesuit helmet visors, and/or a mesh pattern for similar effect.

Don't be put off modelling them even if you don't use them in the end but DO make sure that they're only on the highest possible LOD.

Perhaps even one that you're unlikely to see ingame until you're an inch from the ship - a super-HI LOD level if you like. So make sure that they're not used in any of the lower LODs like the one you can actually see 99% of the time when you're outside the ship, but only when you zoom in to deliberately see it.

One other thing; the models might get resized at some point, any internals will get scaled with them, you'll be making a lot more work for yourself if you model everything for one size and then realise that the ship works better if it's larger/smaller. Suddenly you've got complicated internals to remake otherwise you'll end up with 30ft tall giants or 3ft tall midgets piloting your ship. So it is going to be less work for you to deal with ships without any internals.

That'd be my personal take on the matter only, I haven't discussed it with the others but it seems reasonable to me, the others issues can take a hike if people want to ask about them.

Andy

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

If a model's going into the core game and has to be simplified for whatever reason, there's nothing to stop there being a souped-up version in a mod that replaces it.

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

Of course   , we can delete nav lights because we have scanner to see alls ships around us , we can also delete landings gears because, in the future , all ships used sustent  levitation system, and finally we can delete trusher because with bionic proplusion there is no gaz emission . 😀

and after 1000 years of time gaming , all ships whas deleted, because we finally found the  G.U.T.S.( galactical universal teleport system )

Right! Why didn't I think of that? You really took that statement to its logical conclusion.

I was simply making a light-hearted comment; nobody is forcing you to not have cockpits on your ships. Pretty much every dev chimed in and said that it is perfectly possible to have ships with cockpits, they just don't want to make Pioneer more complex than need be. I'll bet if you came up with a working system for visible interiors and solutions to the problems listed by others; the devs would be more than happy to implement it.  Otherwise, it's added complexity and work for the people who build this game.

shadmar's awesomeness.

Love the model! Keep up the good work, shadmar!

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

be quiet , it's also a light-hearted comment from me , you have no the monopol .

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Ouch That was hard, animating 3 cylinders going down in a striaght line, without skinning, and line up correctly to the ship and landing platform...

I'm exhausted, but a bit wiser 🙂

lunar2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

oh i thought about that long ago,

i mean the "G.U.T.S".

yep, it kills any game to have superpowers, reasonability stands against style here as well.

that's why i like ships like a "Tie-Fighter", of course unrealsitic if i think how small the vessel is.

but a often copied and never again reached good and also simple design.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

shadmar, it starts to look well,

was it such a problem? i mean to animate the cylinders

"sleepwalking" for me (sorry)

ah... i should better make some stuff to study, it's not so complicated.

or am i envolved this long into it that i lost the ground?

was the LMR really so hindering to contribute?

or was it more what hinders myself often as well?

my hard head and the unwill to mess with something new or unknown.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Once you have a cockpit then invariably people want to see a pilot, or multiple people to match the number of crew, or blinky lights and other junk that add code complexity and lower the frame rate for no actual in-game benefit. So I think that the ships in the core game should take the easy route and have opaque windows.

and what?

yeah take the easy route and look shitty, have decals placed 10cm above surface no blinking lights and all turns to tard.

god, no he's not responsible for it, how could you be so uninspired or stands something else behind?

someone who can't do it, but likes to rule the style of pioneer?

i wrote again a lot of shit and i deleted it now.

i guess i said enough. really it makes no sense to argue.

but i feel the worst was when the uninspired ones moved in,

sorry, really sorry because for this i'm not responsible neither i could have stopped it.

the project starter is a different man, that's what i know also and i will never forget.

TomM, liked even the old pilot, he liked cockpits and blinking lights...

and i don't know what "pizzicato" extra i put on my ships.

of course he liked it much (and also feared it a bit) that i copied the FFE geometry.

but not only the geometry is what counts,

well DB put a pilot in the eagle an some other fighters, a simple blob and a "IXI" as a flightstick,

but it's present, and i see no reason why pioneer shouldn't have a pilot.

except personal dislike, or "i want to be leader, but i can't do this, so i have to find a way to get rid of it, then no one can critize me"

if you buy a equipment you notice this on your ship, reasonable or not, but cool, back in '93 and it's still something cool and special not everygame offers, even not today.

and now you come along and would like to get rid of all that,

telling this is to complex?

idiocracy!

i like to get TomM back, in one sort, it was cool to work with him, it's shit to work with you (but i do understand that it was growing over his head, i guess he never thought it would come this far, this as a positive aspect to the "evolution" in this game)

for once i outspoke my true thinking, well that's what i guess, think, feel.

i never forget this fact, he rarely stopped me from doing anything.

and if i guess that yours partially "destroyed" my models, well like i said, i must be a masochist to go on with people like you.

ReplyQuote