Notifications
Clear all

A Suggestion (stargazing)

Danvir
(@danvir)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I want to start by saying that I haven't contributed one iota to this project and understand that I'm not really in any place to make a suggestion but I just want to throw one out there.

I have no idea what the feasibility or difficulty of adding a feature like this is, but it would be neat to have the ability to "free look" when you land on a planet. To me, one of the coolest parts about this game is the star system/planetary simulation aspect and it's nice to land on a planet and watch the sky and alien moons moving about.

I picture the feature as a button or hotkey that allows the user to free look all angles with the mouse and zoom in/out. Perhaps the viewpoint would be from just above your ship or maybe not render the ship at all for a first person view?

I think this game is awesome so far and want to say thanks to everyone that contributes for making it possible.

NewtonianFreak
(@newtonianfreak)
Crewman Registered

Yes it sounds really nice and logical. I don't place all the "ability to get out of ship and walk around bases" suggestions high in my expectations list (really won't be disapointed if it never happens because it's a bent to a whole different kind of gameplay) but this simple thing would be fine.

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

I like freelook. I just love it. Especially in ArmA 2 since that game has 3D cockpits. One of the most immersive features a game can have. But we must stay realistic, Tom is the only programmer and I'm sure he does it for fun, not because he needs a burn-out.

But I wouldn't be sad if your wish would come through some day.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I really like this idea. I don't think it would be too hard to implement too (the camera).

The other stuff is much harder to add, but you never know 🙂

ReplyQuote
Danvir
(@danvir)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

A different camera mode is all it would really have to be. I wonder how difficult zoom would be to implement and if anything would have to be done with planet LODs when zooming.

It would be so cool to be able to land on a planet and zoom in at objects in the sky and at distant landscapes.

Here's a planet I landed on with a ton of moons and asteroids and of course the controllable 3rd person camera only exposes so much of the sky. This game begs for the ability to watch these moons and zoom in on asteroids as they go across the sky!

icemoons.jpg

If you've never landed on a planet/moon and sped up time I strongly recommend it. The moons with low orbital periods will give striking views of the different phases of their parent planets and will show retrograde motion from the other moons in the sky all within a couple of days.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Here's a planet I landed on with a ton of moons and asteroids and of course the controllable 3rd person camera only exposes so much of the sky.

Is that a ''Dead World which once housed it's own intricate ecosystem'' ? It just looks a lot like one, Ive spent so much bloody time flying round them 😆

I haven't found the code which deals with the camera yet, but if I stumble on it I'll see if I can make you a quick build without that restriction on the camera.

ReplyQuote