Notifications
Clear all

A30 GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY error

Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hey all,

anybody know if this is my laptop acting up or a problem with Alpha 30?

I can repeat this every time in pioneer-alpha30-freeze-7292d11-win32

I start out at Earth and fly fairly low around the buildings for a minute or two then the game crashed with a out of memory error.

Requested AA mode: 2x, actual: 4x

Error: OpenGL error(s) during frame:

GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY

Robn. you mentioned

GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY

That's your culprit. You've got every model in the world in your game, and we try to load them all into graphics memory at boot - we have no stuff to load/unload stuff. Probably not much you can do right now except remove a few models.

I had this in Alpha 30 with no mods or extras included. The install was purely as it was downloaded. So when you say manually remove a few models you mean what exactly? And why is it doing it now and never before. Is it directly linked to the amount of memory I have installed?

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY

Is this a problem anybody else can replicate?

In the other thread I said it was because you had too many mods filling your graphics memory. Can you replicate this with stock alpha30-freeze (no mods)?

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

Sorry Robn, we are on reply overlap.

Yes this is pioneer-alpha30-freeze-7292d11-win32 downloaded from the twitter page.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

vuzz, i have no mods installed.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

The web gets the winter blues?

Nope after a bit more fiddling it's nothing to do with missing textures. I have to turn my gfx settings down and then it does not crash. Kind of annoying with a 2GB gfx and 8GB Ram available.

Downloading the new version now walterar but I am not optimistic that is will solve the problem.

Vuzz, please read the next bit carefully. The problem is not with the mods. They work fine apart from that missing texture.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Maybe we can see something in config.ini opengl.txt stderr.txt stdout.txt

What video card do you have?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Ok, I was under the impression from the other thread that you had mods installed.

Anyway, its good that turning down the settings at least lets you play, but it would be nice to find the cause. Can you please locate the opengl.txt file from your Docs/Pioneer dir and post it somewhere (pastebin.com would be great).

If you feel like it, it would be good if you could experiment with different terrain and city detail settings and let us know which ones work and which don't.

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

I had the same issue with A29:  https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/1741

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I had the same issue with A29:  https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/1741

Yeah. Were you able to gather any more information?

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

Hi Robn, in the other thread I edited my post with more information but you and vuzz had posted while I was doing that so you maybe missed the bit where I said I had tried it as well without any mods.

I'll post my logs and specs etc when I get home. I'll try pastebin but I will also upload to me skydrive as i have never used pastebin.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Ahh. I don't usually read edited posts because there's nothing that says they've changed, so I don't know about them.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

Sorry it took a couple of days...

here is my opengl.txt http://pastebin.com/wcnNj9Qy

here is the error log http://pastebin.com/uPKFCMSe

and the stdout.txt http://pastebin.com/9XhtTmAn

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

It's an Intel HD 4000 GPU with shared memory, if I understand correctly it should have up to ~1.7GB available which is a LOT more than I do on my 470GTX so you should be ok. However, Intels OpenGL drivers are a bit weak or it could be configured to use less than that maximum.

I found this page that tells you how to find out what the maximum available is.

Can you also make sure that the "Compress Textures" option is on in the options screen as that should reduce the memory footprint.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

it also has an Nvidia GeForce GT-640m 2GB installed.  so how would I get it to use that instead?

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

You're going to have to do some Googling for that one as I don't have a laptop to test with, it's not something we can do from the Pioneer end unless nVidia added us to their driver profiles... actually I do know a couple of guys at nVidia... hmmm 😀 

Ok seriously though we're not going to be able to fix it, you'll have to either add it to the nVidia control panel profiles, or set the 3D settings to use it the nVidia GPU for all 3D content.

That "should" make it always switch to the nVidia GPU if it's got their Optimus technology when you launch something using DirectX or OpenGL.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Topic starter  

right, thanks. I'll try that the next time I have a mo.

Compressing textures using the onboard seems to buy me a little more time. and reducing the planet textures and building details also help but it still does crash. However this only seems to be when flying low on the planet. I'll try some not earth planets to see if the same happens.

EDIT:

it was far simpler than I thought. In the settings for Nvidia there is " add with graphics processer to menu" which allows me to right click and choose which gfx card to use. I had no idea that it defaultes to the built in gfx.

Thanks Fluffyfreak, so far, every setting on max and no crash.

2nd EDIT:

I notice now that the built on gfx was using opengl 4.0.0 and the Nvidia  is using 4.3.0

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@MetaMartian

Yeah nVidia, for all the sh*t Torvalds gives them are one of the most progressive when it comes to OpenGL so that usually when a new standard/version is released it's already supported in the beta drivers and release drivers shortly afterwards 🙂 AMD shouldn't be too far behind but I won't be holding breath for Intel to get their act together!

@Vuzz

Cheers 🙂

ReplyQuote