Notifications
Clear all

Alpha 19 released

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

The Pioneer development team are pleased to announce the release of Pioneer Alpha 19. Featured this month is the sidereal camera (a camera that remains stationary relative to your ship) and a detailed heightmap for the Moon. Use them together for great screenshots! Full changelog and builds for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are available from the download page.

New features

[*:9651qo93]Sidereal camera, an external camera that holds its position relative to the stars. Great for screenshots! (#932)

[*:9651qo93]Moon height map. Now looks like the real thing! (#936)

[*:9651qo93]Lua-based body name generator. Planets and starports now have much more interesting/varied names (#896, #926)

[*:9651qo93]Joystick deadzone support (#870)

Minor changes and tweaks

[*:9651qo93]Roll keys now work while using mouse control (#904, #850, #278, #914, #919)

[*:9651qo93]Camera quick-switch using Shift+1-4 in the main view (#932)

[*:9651qo93]Sector view now shows line from current to target system (#843, #845)

[*:9651qo93]Optimised nearby system lookups for scripts. Significantly improves game startup time (#937)

[*:9651qo93]Various TradeShips optimisiations and fixes (#917)

Fixes

[*:9651qo93]Ensure bulletin board is created before ship docks with station (#899)

[*:9651qo93]Don't propogate mouse wheel events in one view to other views (#903, #225)

[*:9651qo93]Show distance to dock on target square when docking clearance is granted (#902)

[*:9651qo93]Fix crashes if Lua Space, Timer or UI methods are called before the game loads (#885, #911)

[*:9651qo93]Fix background star jitter (#910)

[*:9651qo93]Fix "rough landing" sound being played globally (#925, #895, #865)

[*:9651qo93]Reduce the number of nearby system searches done by scripts (#927)

[*:9651qo93]Fixed HDR screen flicker (#928)

[*:9651qo93]Fixed autopilot hangs related to gravpoint frames and small bodies (#935, #921)

[*:9651qo93]Fixed crash where missile objects were destroyed while other objects were holding a reference to them (#922, #735)

Script changes

[*:9651qo93]Removed NameGen.PlanetName and replaced with NameGen.BodyName (#896)

[*:9651qo93]Added EventQueue.DebugTimer to enable event function call timing for debugging purposes (#898)

[*:9651qo93]Added Ship.shipType attribute to get ship type (#912)

Internal changes

[*:9651qo93]New Texture class and subclasses to manage all kinds of GL texture creation and use (#892, #900, #901)

[*:9651qo93]Simplified autotools build system by using pkg-config for all dependencies (#909, #353)

[*:9651qo93]Additional debug checks to ensure that bodies are not removed or destroyed during destruction of another body (#922)

Zephyros
(@zephyros)
Petty Officer Registered

wow i mean the moon wow It really does look much better now and not the cartoony style it had before

and for the joystick dead zone (knees on the floor and hands together) thank you!! 😀

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Now you've all got an awesome camera and a nice Moon I expect to see a lot of awesome screenshots 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Ooooh goody! I will let the Frontier Forum know about this right away. I think this will be a popular release robn, even a certain well known Astronomy magazine here in the UK has contacted me about Pioneer. Brianetta has the details in a PM 😉

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Ooooh goody! I will let the Frontier Forum know about this right away. I think this will be a popular release robn, even a certain well known Astronomy magazine here in the UK has contacted me about Pioneer. Brianetta has the details in a PM 😉

And a non-computing mag is about to be introduced to the headache of GPL distribution. (-:

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

the awesome graphics of this solar system simulator and content free exploration game just got more awesome ill take a few screenshots any news on actual content though ?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Its all in the changelog - that's why I post them.

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

For the benefit of us 64-bit Linux people: how does one compile the latest version? The command used to be:

Code:
git checkout alpha18

...which still works, but

Code:
git checkout alpha19

produces the error

Code:
error: pathspec 'alpha19' did not match any file(s) known to git.

By the way, the package libglut3-dev is now obsolete and has been replaced by freeglut3-dev. The Wiki http://pioneerspacesim.net/wiki/index.php?title=Compiling_pioneer doesn't show this yet.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

emajogi wrote:
For the benefit of us 64-bit Linux people: how does one compile the latest version? The command used to be:

Code:
git checkout alpha18

...which still works, but

Code:
git checkout alpha19

produces the error

Code:
error: pathspec 'alpha19' did not match any file(s) known to git.

By the way, the package libglut3-dev is now obsolete and has been replaced by freeglut3-dev. The Wiki http://pioneerspacesim.net/wiki/index.php?title=Compiling_pioneer doesn't show this yet.

Do git fetch origin or git remote update first. After that, git tag should list the available tags. Then you can checkout.

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

Alas! The latest alpha isn't there.

Code:
>git tag
alpha10
alpha11
alpha12
alpha13
alpha14
alpha15
alpha16
alpha17
alpha18
alpha9

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Interesting. git branch -a should at least show remotes/origin/alpha19-freeze. It's state is equivalent to the release.

It's also possible that you need to do git fetch origin --tags before the tags show. (this assumes "origin" points to the official pioneerspacesim repository - if you started by cloning it, it does)

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

To update your tags:

Code:
git fetch --tags

Having said that...

If you have the Git repo checked out, why in all of Space would you want to stick with a tagged release? It's out of date already! Master is almost always stable (and when it isn't, you're less than an hour from a fix, by my records) and has features that others won't get to test until the next alpha release.

Since you've gone to the effort of checking our the repo, why not reap the reward?

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

Luomu wrote:
Interesting. git branch -a should at least show remotes/origin/alpha19-freeze. It's state is equivalent to the release.

Nope, it's not there.

Code:
$ git fetch origin --tags
$ git branch -a
* (no branch)
master
remotes/origin/3dgalaxy-textured
remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
remotes/origin/async-system-cache
remotes/origin/city-tags
remotes/origin/disable-collision-mesh
remotes/origin/fancy-system-info
remotes/origin/game-log
remotes/origin/gui-core-refactor
remotes/origin/gwen-ui
remotes/origin/lua-constants
remotes/origin/lua-overhaul
remotes/origin/lua-refactor
remotes/origin/master
remotes/origin/name-populated-bodies
remotes/origin/new-laser-smoke-textures
remotes/origin/new-lua-custom-systems
remotes/origin/planet-mass-fix
remotes/origin/plasma
remotes/origin/renderer
remotes/origin/rocket-ui
remotes/origin/separate-system-cache
remotes/origin/thread-manager
remotes/origin/view-manager

I tried the other suggested commands to update tags, with the same results. (Never mind though; Brianetta's suggestion to use 'git checkout master' works just fine.)

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Emajogi, the problem here is that you are tracking robn as upstream, not pioneerspacesim. Rob doesn't have the alpha tags in his repo. His master is bang up to date, though, since he's the merge monkey.

ReplyQuote
bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered

Time to fly back out from Sol again! I'll check out the moon on my way.

Wait a minute. Just found out my savegames work. Legit.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
bchimself wrote:
Wait a minute. Just found out my savegames work. Legit.

I was supposed to do a savefile bump, but forgot. There's an outside chance you'll get some corruption/weirdness, but you'll probably be fine.

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
Emajogi, the problem here is that you are tracking robn as upstream, not pioneerspacesim. Rob doesn't have the alpha tags in his repo. His master is bang up to date, though, since he's the merge monkey.

How do I change that?

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

emajogi wrote:

How do I change that?

You need to add the Pioneer spacesim as a new remote.

git remote add Pioneer URL

http://gitref.org/remotes/

You can also change the 'origin' remote to contain the correct address, but I don't recall the command.

Welcome back 🙂 Any new tunes on the horizon for Pioneer? Also on another completely unrelated note, I found out that the crackling I experienced while passing your last track through the audio compressors was likely caused by my terrible soundcard.

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

s2odan wrote:
Welcome back 🙂 Any new tunes on the horizon for Pioneer?

Oh, lots and lots!

I'm still, however, no closer to finding a solution to the main stumbling block, which is that everything I write sounds like MIDI. I have no idea what software everyone else in the world is using but, whatever it is, they're not letting me in on the secret.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

emajogi wrote:
I'm still, however, no closer to finding a solution to the main stumbling block, which is that everything I write sounds like MIDI.

❓ What software are you using?

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

emajogi wrote:
I'm still, however, no closer to finding a solution to the main stumbling block, which is that everything I write sounds like MIDI. I have no idea what software everyone else in the world is using but, whatever it is, they're not letting me in on the secret.

These days I still use Reason 5.0, but I combine it with AbletonLive which has VST capability and my Roland Juno-G keyboard, which opens up a lot of doors 🙂

This is a good VST synth, I've had some fun with it:

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cgbp/Pr ... RP1.20-20E

Another VST, this one is quite unique and has a cool long lasting demo 😉

http://soniccharge.com/synplant

They can run through Ableton, or something like this: http://ardour.org/ (free)

Everyone else I know is on a combination of the following software:

Logic, AbletonLive, FruityLoops, REason. With lots of tasty VSTs thrown in too.

Recently I downloaded the MaxMSP trial and let me tell you that thing is absolutely amazing 🙂 Its very expensive though if you get hooked, I don't know what I'll do when my trial runs out :O

ReplyQuote