Clear all

Alpha 29 released

Page 1 / 2

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

The Pioneer development team are pleased to announce the release of Pioneer Alpha 29. This month we have a rewrite of the infoview, including per-mission screens and player name/face customisations. Also we have over a hundred new factions with varying government types, and sector map updates to view them. Full changelog and builds for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux (32 & 64-bit) are available from the download page.

New features

• InfoView (F3) rewrite. Now has player name/face customisation and per-mission info screens (#1633, #1785)
  • Economical autopilot. Trades fuel for time (#1582)
  • Your ship's automatic rotation damping can now be turned off (#1570, #1156)
  • Almost 100 new factions with varying government types (#1621, #1620, #1675, #1761, #1771)
  • Zoom out the sector view to see a faction map (#1754, #1764, #1761, #1796, #1784)
  • modelviewer can now dump models to Wavefront-format files (#1763)

Minor changes and tweaks

• Cargo scooping now only requires a collision against the ship rather than a specific part of it (#1674)
  • Refueling now handled by Lua script (#1649)
  • Fixed navigation lights on Courier, Trader, Meteor, Natrix (#1710, #1711)
  • Added transparent backgrounds to planet icons to avoid some visual glitches (#1572)
  • Don't clear hyperspace target when the current system is selected in the Sector View (#1662)
  • Improved scanner draw performance

Fixes

• Workaround shader glitches for planets with zero temperature (#1712)
  • Pioneer should not be marked as "Not Responding" on startup in Windows (MSVC builds only) (#1743)
  • Fixed flight log crash after visiting 1000 stations
  • Barnard's Star is now a member of the Federation (#1620)
  • Reduce use of random number generator in sector generation. Fixes super giant distribution and makes it go a little faster (#1765)

Script changes

• Custom Systems: Faction allegiance can now be set for custom systems (#1621)
  • Factions: More than one government type with weighting can now be specified for a Faction (#1621)
  • Factions: A radius attribute is available on the Faction object (#1660)
  • debug.deprecated function to warn when a deprecated function is used (#1718)

UI changes

• Gradient container to provide a linear gradient background (#1682)
  • Expand container to force a widget to fill available space (#1685)
  • SmallButton widget (#1722)
  • Icon widget (#1737)
  • TabGroup controller
  • Label exposes SetText to Lua (#1690)
  • Box containers no longer take expand/fill flags (#1665)
  • Margin can now apply a margin to a single side or direction (#1747)
  • Grid can now have nil entries and has a ClearCell method (#1723, #1738)
  • Functions taking a widget can now take a table with a 'widget' field (#1723, #1738)
  • Widget.SetFontSize has been replaced with SetFont to select both type (normal
  • or heading) and size (#1684)
  • UI constructors for 'Single' widgets take an optional final argument specifying the inner widget (#1723, #1738)
  • MouseMove event also receives relative mouse travel (#1767)
  • Improved UI sliders/scrollbars (#1720)
  • UI elements can now be disabled (#1749, #1721)
  • More flexible UI widget size control (#1746)

Internal changes

• Wrapper to allow new UI to provide views for the old GUI system (#1691, #1755, #1756, #1759)
  • Fix the LuaObject the Check/GetFromLua, which were swapped round (#1730)
  • Models moved to data/lmrmodels to make space for new model system (#1762)
  • Code cleanup in StarSystem (making several members private) (#1773)

emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

Alas, the 64-bit Linux binary doesn't work on my Linux Mint box. (Sad face )

ra@Rockhopper ~/Local/Code/pioneer $ ./pioneer
./pioneer: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ra@Rockhopper ~/Local/Code/pioneer $ sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2 libfreetype6 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libglew1.5 zlib1g libvorbisfile3 libasound2
[sudo] password for ra:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libglew1.5-dev' for regex 'libglew1.5'
Note, selecting 'libglew-dev' instead of 'libglew1.5-dev'
libasound2 is already the newest version.
libfreetype6 is already the newest version.
libglew-dev is already the newest version.
libsigc++-2.0-0c2a is already the newest version.
libvorbisfile3 is already the newest version.
zlib1g is already the newest version.
libsdl-image1.2 is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer requiredi386 libgomp1:i386
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 110 not upgraded.
ra@Rockhopper ~/Local/Code/pioneer $ ./pioneer
./pioneer: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Note, selecting 'libglew1.5-dev' for regex 'libglew1.5'
Note, selecting 'libglew-dev' instead of 'libglew1.5-dev'

Yeah, looks like you don't have a libglew1.5 package. Does your distribution have a repository of older libs for compatibility?

I build against 1.5 because its what's available in Ubuntu 10, which is what seems to be about the baseline for our users. Its a fairly common package; a lot of commercial Linux games rely on it too. It might be time to start using a newer version, not sure. Alternatively, maybe I need to start building it locally and bundling it.

Anyway, see if you can find an older one, or build things yourself. It works pretty well 🙂

ReplyQuote
Skodyn
(@skodyn)
Senior Chief Registered

Just downloaded alpha 29, looking forward to seeing what I've missed in the past few months

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered

Way to go robn. Although I'm from the Oolite community I follow this game with every step. I love it.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Oolite is awesome.

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

Kudos for the latest release...and thanx for all the hard work.

Now time to space.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

Great release, nice work. 🙂

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

I just had to comment on the awesome Faction MAp. Worlds of awesome. Especially the toggle function.

Makes for some serious StarChart studying.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

@philbywizz

... it doesn't had to be that quick...

thanks

i will try it tomorrow, now it's time to greet the sandman.

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

* Internal changes changelog ommission

Beside the notification of "models" directory name change to lmrmodels should be added:

pioneerdatasub_models" directory renamed to "00_sub_models" and moved to pioneer-alpha29-win32datalmrmodels directory.

All have a Merry Xmas   

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Not really an omission. I didn't say "models dir has been renamed". I said "models have been moved". All of them.

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

NP robn, it was the only dir outside the models directory I noticed was moved/renamed and is of some importance for mods.

ReplyQuote
ataribaby
(@ataribaby)
Crewman Registered

Hmm, Just tried Lave start in 29 version. Flew to Zaonce, manualy flew to Station and requested land. Cleared to bay 1. When i entered station etrance tunel nothing happens. I cant land and dock there.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@AtariBaby,

Several things to make sure you're doing,

1. you must be flying very slowly as you enter the station for it to take control of your ship, less than 30m/s.
  2. you're landing gear must be down.

It might be worth starting on Earth at first as this is the easier beginning, or buy an autopilot until you get used to Pioneer. It's like Frontier but different! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

@ataribaby

i can't reproduce this, i even flew from Lave to Zaonce, docked manually, "all systems are go!" ;).

perhaps you was a little to fast?

the collision mesh to detect your ship is a quad (2 tris), i'm not sure if it fills the whole tube, in certain situations when i aproached a station very uncommon, means to far left or right or the ship was bad aligned i also couldn't dock, but that's quite long ago since this happened the last time to me.

or one of the rare "unknown" things has happened.

anyway it worked well for me, first test flight i made with a stock alpha29.

and comrades, Landing Gear mustn't be down as this clip shows well.

---

it's always a good idea to countertest a error or glitch, sometimes rare exceptional errors happen, if they didn't appear a second time, forget them.

but if you found one is repetive, might it will happen from time to time without a noteable reason, then it's worth to report them to the issue tracker.

or even here if you aren't sure, also i like a echo of other players to see if they have the same problem, before i post something to the issue tracker.

ReplyQuote
Loki999
(@loki999)
Master Chief Registered

@ataribaby

have yu  equit the auto pilot on the ship in Lavestation ?

in thesepoint of depart of the game  itsno equip on the cobra MK III , because its like a "hardlevel game".

and have you   put your landing gear down ?

Haha, Vuzz, that's two posts i've just read of yours that barely make sense.  Have you been drinking?

ReplyQuote
ataribaby
(@ataribaby)
Crewman Registered

I had gear down. I go to try again. I have save game just outside station after i approached it manualy as no auto pilot is available on Lave.

ReplyQuote
ataribaby
(@ataribaby)
Crewman Registered

Here is my video. First try was unsucessful, gear down, sure. At second try docking was finaly registered. Dunno what i made wrong.

ReplyQuote
funkybibimap
(@funkybibimap)
Crewman Registered

Hello all,

this is my first post and want to thank all the people who helped so far with the development of Pioneer. I've been a fan of Elite II since I stumbled upon it in a games compilation in the end of the 90s. More than once I dreamed of starting a modern remake of the game, thinking about what could be fixed/improved, but never made it real. You guys did it, and undoubtedly well. I hope the game will keep improving while keeping the Elite II spirit of Newtonian physics and open-endedness.

I'd like to make a few comments about that new release:

• InfoView (F3) rewrite: I miss the possibility of switching between screens with F3, I think it's not very ergonomic to have to cross all the screen with the mouse to click on the tabs
  • Zoom out the sector view to see a faction map: awesome! I'm not sure it's consistent with the discovery of hyperspace flight only 400 years before the beginning of the game, but then background story can just be rewritten
  • Economical autopilot: is there any way to switch that off? I got stuck at 15000km/s while travelling in a ternary system (more than 380 AU to cross) even though I had prepared extra fuel
  • Refueling now handled by Lua script: how to refuel now? Again, during my travel in the ternary system, I was unable to refuel with the interface, even when my tank got empty

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

• InfoView (F3) rewrite: I miss the possibility of switching between screens with F3, I think it's not very ergonomic to have to cross all the screen with the mouse to click on the tabs
  • Zoom out the sector view to see a faction map: awesome! I'm not sure it's consistent with the discovery of hyperspace flight only 400 years before the beginning of the game, but then background story can just be rewritten
  • Economical autopilot: is there any way to switch that off? I got stuck at 15000km/s while travelling in a ternary system (more than 380 AU to cross) even though I had prepared extra fuel
  • Refueling now handled by Lua script: how to refuel now? Again, during my travel in the ternary system, I was unable to refuel with the interface, even when my tank got empty

• It's on the list. We aren't planning to deprive you of keyboard shortcuts. We just don't have the keyboard support finished just yet.
  • Speak for yourself - I can travel thousands of light years in a year of game time. In four centuries, we could easily have spread that much.
  • Not at the moment; once we have extended the new UI to the main flight screen, we'll be able to provide greater control.
  • Refuelling works as it did before. You need water in your hold, and then you can use the refuel button on the cargo screen. It just looks different.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

Economical autopilot: is there any way to switch that off? I got stuck at 15000km/s while travelling in a ternary system (more than 380 AU to cross) even though I had prepared extra fuel

You could also just turn off autopilot, and maually accelerate til you've burnt 45-40% of your fuel. Then turn on autopilot. You should then have fumes when you arrive.

ReplyQuote
funkybibimap
(@funkybibimap)
Crewman Registered

• Refuelling works as it did before. You need water in your hold, and then you can use the refuel button on the cargo screen. It just looks different.

Water!? I thought I needed hydrogen, no wonder it did not work... Does it mean that the thrusters are powered by hydrogen + oxygen, obtained from electrolysis?

You could also just turn off autopilot, and maually accelerate til you've burnt 45-40% of your fuel. Then turn on autopilot. You should then have fumes when you arrive.

What I will do when I need it is to fly manually to half the distance with a constant acceleration, then switch to automatic pilot and let it do the deceleration job. Which makes me think that we don't exactly know when the autopilot is going to throttle.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

hey, loki he's french, i can't speak a word french and i had 3 years french lessons at school, do i need to tell more?

---

"Economical autopilot:"

i never liked that idea...

...please leave it up to the pilot if he likes to burn his fuel with a autopilot flight, or likes to interrupt it to save fuel, or likes to fly in computer speed control mode.

imho, the autopilot should act as "stupid" as possible, it's the same problem to me as advanced armour is, it kills fun, pioneer should be a game no?

this is the part where the sim should be more game, things that keep the player from acting and thinking make the game probably (with a high chance) boring. regardless of what would be possible with todays technology already and not to think of 3200.

often the reply is you have the alternative to fly manually, never heard of that mankind is lazy by nature?

"if i offer a help it will be used".

not many players will give up the autopilot for fun, especially not if they are new to this sort of game.

that's why i liked the old way we had once, you had to dock manually always, i do really miss that and a switch to manual, sorry no one would do such. but you have to, if there is no other possibilty, you can't be "lazy" then.

if you like to do me a favor, program a faulty autopilot with many leaks and things i can't foresee...

btw, you need both, hydrogene for the hyperdrive and water for the "impulse drive"...

in general i didn't think it's a bad idea.

---

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Water!? I thought I needed hydrogen, no wonder it did not work... Does it mean that the thrusters are powered by hydrogen + oxygen, obtained from electrolysis?

No. Using electrolysis to store energy chemically, and then burning them together again to release that energy, would be very inefficient indeed.

Water is used as a reaction mass because, of all the fluids commonly available in the universe, it's one of the densest and safest. While we haven't stated as fact exactly how the water is thrown out of the thruster nozzles, I think it's probably a safe assumption that it's heated to a plasma and accelerated electrically.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2