Notifications
Clear all

Alpha 8, and a new lead programmer

Page 2 / 6

shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

Ay-ay-ay repo #3. 🙂

I shouldn't complain, after all you guys do all the work.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

If you click on 'Commits'' up the top, it will let you see all the changes made.

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

I know, it's just difficult to track who did what in which order when things aren't in the same place.

Just ignore my rants, I'm compulsive that way.

ReplyQuote
jaj22
(@jaj22)
Petty Officer Registered

The changes in my repository are very incomplete AI and combat interface test code at the moment. I strongly recommend that you don't try to merge it into anything yet.

The current AI combat function (use the test location) is a human-style pure evasion pattern using 66% maximum thrust. With a bit of practise you can hit the damn thing reasonably often, although I did double the dimensions of the Eagle. There's also a commented-out AI that just kills you at 500m while evading in a superhuman manner with the auxiliary thrusters.

The eventual goal is to make combat somewhat interesting and not too frustrating while having the AIs act as human as possible, rather than the usual method of fudging the AI code to give the player a target.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Hi jaj22.

I just checked out your fork of pioneer, its very cool stuff. Evasion AI evades rather well ;), but not perfectly allowing you some time to get a few shots in. Seems just about perfect for traders, or a fleeing ship?

Did you nerf the gun? I swear I blasted the hell out of that eagle 🙂

Edit//

I just tried the commented out AI. Now that is chalenging, The AI constantly presents a minimal aspect so the target is very small.

I was able to get nose to nose with the AI but the few shots that should have landed seemed to pass through him.

Nose to nose:

[attachment=488:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-01-30 21-55-37-33.jpg]

🙂

ReplyQuote
jaj22
(@jaj22)
Petty Officer Registered

Yeah, the guns are nerfed temporarily for testing purposes because you died too quickly against the evil AI.

ReplyQuote
UncleBob
(@unclebob)
Master Chief Registered

Stepping down after having carried the project so far seems like quite a decision. I hope that Tomm will still be one of the major players in the developement, though (although working in a project you were leader of can be a lot harder than leaving the project for good...).

The feature list sounds like some excellent and long awaited updates were made, I'll downlad as soon as the month's over... I'm over limit already. 😡

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

I still think Epsilon Eridani g looks too lemony. Stderr tells me that "picked terrain 9, colortype 8 for Epsilon Eridani g" but right after that mentions "glError: invalid operation caught at ..\..\src\WorldView.cpp:314" x2, and then it's filled till the end with "glError: invalid operation caught at ..\..\src\Render.cpp:350"

Also, stdout is full of "AI: Crud. thrusters insufficient"

I assume that's why the autopilot made a pancake of me against the planet instead of landing me nicely. 🙂

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

I've found a language error. on autopilot screen is "Fly to vacinity of..." but it should be "fly to vicinity of".

And one question: why I have reversed pitch control? When I pull ship goes down, when I push, ships goes up. Why?

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

OSH wrote:
I've found a language error. on autopilot screen is "Fly to vacinity of..." but it should be "fly to vicinity of".

And one question: why I have reversed pitch control? When I pull ship goes down, when I push, ships goes up. Why?

mystery.gif

I think that's how the controls originally worked in FE2 IIRC.

Actually the answer is just a couple of threads below: pioneer-f35/joystick-control-pitch-back-front-t1714.html

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
UncleBob wrote:
Stepping down after having carried the project so far seems like quite a decision. I hope that Tomm will still be one of the major players in the developement, though (although working in a project you were leader of can be a lot harder than leaving the project for good...).

The development needs to enter a different stage, and I'm not the person to do that. Focus needs to move on to gameplay and balance, and I can't see the wood for the trees having been neck deep in the code for 2.5 years.

Looks like alpha 8 was a bit of a brown paper bag release (yep, time to hand over to someone else all right!) Thanks Dan, for fixing up those glitches I introduced. I'm going to be reviewing and merging from other people's branches before they go to John. He is too busy coding new stuff and I know the codebase pretty well. I might even code some stuff myself 😉

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

Ok, it works now. Thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Thanks Dan, for fixing up those glitches I introduced. I'm going to be reviewing and merging from other people's branches before they go to John. He is too busy coding new stuff and I know the codebase pretty well. I might even code some stuff myself 😉

Your welcome. I'm sure you won't be able to keep away 🙂 Pioneer is a cool project, and you have done a lot of good work with it. You should be proud, seriously, its awesome 😀

ReplyQuote
UncleBob
(@unclebob)
Master Chief Registered

Quote:
The development needs to enter a different stage, and I'm not the person to do that. Focus needs to move on to gameplay and balance, and I can't see the wood for the trees having been neck deep in the code for 2.5 years.

I know a wealth of professional project leaders that aren't half as sensible (although not neccesserily software related, but that doesn't make much of a difference). Time will show if I'll get it right when our social developement project gets into a next stage (should still be some years, but It doesn't hurt to be mentally prepared).

As such, thanks a lot for your work, dibs on your decision and I hope you'll still have a lot of fun with pioneers in the time to come!

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

keep any contirbutions coming its looking good

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Today I got this comment on my youtube video (which has over 10.000 views now by the way, yay!):

"So in trying to play the newest release and familiarize myself with the keys i discharged my weapons and the police killed me. I started over with teh same wanted level and now every launch i'm greeted with police lazers ? can this be reset ?"

Can anyone confirm this?

B.T.W., s20dan, I think the planets already look awesome but I'll keep an eye on things which may need improvement and let you know about it 😀 .

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered

That seems to be a bug:

Today I entered the Tiwaay-System in Sector 4,2. It has two stars, one of them being a red giant star with 6,8 solar masses. Instead of filling the whole system with its bright light, there seems to be no light at all in the system. I almost crashed into on of the planets because it is completely black. I attached a screenshot to show what i mean:

[attachment=498:no_light.JPG]

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

If John Jordan makes an account on SSC can someone or he himself notify me so I can give him the Pioneer Developer rank for the forums. Thx.

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

Darkone wrote:
If John Jordan makes an account on SSC can someone or he himself notify me so I can give him the Pioneer Developer rank for the forums. Thx.

He already posted in this thread as jaj22

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thanks I will make the change 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Don't forget about moi. 😉

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
That seems to be a bug:

Today I entered the Tiwaay-System in Sector 4,2. It has two stars, one of them being a red giant star with 6,8 solar masses. Instead of filling the whole system with its bright light, there seems to be no light at all in the system. I almost crashed into on of the planets because it is completely black. I attached a screenshot to show what i mean:

Yes I should have fixed that too in the 8.11fix, its just no luminosity settings for the star.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
I still think Epsilon Eridani g looks too lemony. Stderr tells me that "picked terrain 9, colortype 8 for Epsilon Eridani g"

That planet is a frozen world, mostly dirty-white ice. The sun is yellow-orange. So what would be white under our sun, becomes yellow.

If thats not what you mean then post a pic so we can see.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

white world , water world depends on strenght of sunlight and if it melts the ice or not

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

Perhaps, but I still feel like making lemonade.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6