Notifications
Clear all

 


I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4
 

Alpha 8, and a new lead programmer

Page 4 / 6

freegamer
(@freegamer)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 15
 

Has it been tested on Windows 64bit? There was some bugging out in the UI (in the options, the 'controls' lettering and the background strip behind it were vibrating in funny colours).

Also I couldn't work out what to do. I was staring at a blurry logo. I presumed this was a landing bay or something similar. I could not work out how to move the ship, if the controls were actually working.

Is there a tutorial anywhere?


ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 1188
 

There's no tutorial yet, other than the readme. You start out in a docking bay. To take off press F4, then 1 to request launch.


ReplyQuote
RedRiver
(@redriver)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 32
 

I have 64 bit and it seems to work fine so far...


ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 171
 
freegamer wrote:
Has it been tested on Windows 64bit? There was some bugging out in the UI (in the options, the 'controls' lettering and the background strip behind it were vibrating in funny colours).

Also I couldn't work out what to do. I was staring at a blurry logo. I presumed this was a landing bay or something similar. I could not work out how to move the ship, if the controls were actually working.

Is there a tutorial anywhere?

I'm using win7 64bit and have the same glitch though I attributed it to my ati card. What graphics card are you using?


ReplyQuote
jaj22
(@jaj22)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 13
 

I have the same glitch on XP 32-bit. It's probably caused by that part of the screen not being written in that view, so you get whatever garbage is in the recycled back buffers. Depending on the low-level buffering scheme your card/drivers use, you may or may not see it.


ReplyQuote
freegamer
(@freegamer)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 15
 
Marcel wrote:
There's no tutorial yet, other than the readme. You start out in a docking bay. To take off press F4, then 1 to request launch.

How is a new player supposed to discover this?

Some kind of basic intro/help would be trivial to implement. Just a text overlay explaining how the UI / command basics that can be toggled with an F-key. It would make the game 10x more accessible.


ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 204
 
Gudadantza wrote:
freegamer wrote:
Marcel wrote:
There's no tutorial yet, other than the readme. You start out in a docking bay. To take off press F4, then 1 to request launch.

How is a new player supposed to discover this?

Some kind of basic intro/help would be trivial to implement. Just a text overlay explaining how the UI / command basics that can be toggled with an F-key. It would make the game 10x more accessible.

This is alpha.

In a near future we´ll have a lot of material, a lot of stuff.

I consider the tutorials and the online help/ingame help something "future related" not the most important thing to do.

this is gonna be better than frontier.

One day I was said about that. And I believe it.

Hi, Freegamer. Welcome to the site, and to the beauty that is Pioneer!

As Gudadantza says, this software is very early in its development. A lot of features haven't even been implemented yet - a tutorial being one of them. However, the game is based very heavily on Elite 2: Frontier. If you read this...

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=679

You should get an idea of how to control your ship and get into space as Pioneer's interface is almost identical, albeit with a few modern tweaks.

But you're also right - there should be something to help new players get into the game, even at this stage, most suitably a text file that can be distributed with the Alpha. Happily this is an area I can help with (it frustrates me no end that I can't code or produce 3D models!). I'll see what I can whip up. Getting help coded into the game probably won't happen for a little while yet (they're still building the actual game) although if you press escape to get to the settings you do have access to a list of keyboard commands.


ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 1815
 

awesome, i must have been away for lightyears...


ReplyQuote
m4r35n357
(@m4r35n357)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 36
 
potsmoke66 wrote:
awesome, i must have been away for lightyears...

Obligatory Simpson's quote:

Kang: This is the best musical I've sene in lightyears

Kodos: Light years measure distance, not time!

Enjoy, Ian 😉


ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 1815
 

...HI

de97.png

btw, i like that new ssc banner

2011-02-06_143412.jpg


ReplyQuote
Ross128
(@ross128)
Crewman Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 5
 

Hallo, new here (even if im following the game and the forums from almost the start). I like very much this project and i hope it will become a great new (and a lot better) frontier game.

I still have some problems with my portable computer, it has some random CTD, and some times the planets seems to disappear. But i've faith in future alphas, eager awaiting the next one.

this was just to show my admiration for Tomm and other guys involved in the game... keep up the good work!


ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 111
 
m4r35n357 wrote:

Obligatory Simpson's quote:

Kang: This is the best musical I've sene in lightyears

Kodos: Light years measure distance, not time!

Someone should have told Kodos that distance is time.


ReplyQuote
pgargon
(@pgargon)
Crewman Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 2
 

I have a problem with alpha 8.xx. I can´t jump in another system. I have fuel but the game say no fuel. see the picture.[attachment=518:Pioneer001.jpg]

[attachment=519:Pioneer002.jpg]

Can you help me? 😀


ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 54
 

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a massive increase in game crashes in this new alpha? On my machine, where alpha 7 worked fine, i can't play longer than 5 minutes before the game will crash down again. Every alpha was quite unstable (which is perfectily fine since it is alpha) but this one really is the leader in that category.

same with anyone else?


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 1035
 
pgargon wrote:
I have a problem with alpha 8.xx. I can´t jump in another system. I have fuel but the game say no fuel. see the picture.

Its not saying "no fuel". Its saying "this will take 1t of fuel". That jump will work fine.

That said, there is a bug in alpha 8 where you will always see "insufficent fuel" if you're not carrying enough fuel to reach the maximum distance your ship can jump, even if you're not trying to jump that far. This will be fixed in the repository and will be in alpha 9. For now just make sure you've always got a full tank of fuel.


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 1035
 
mathee wrote:
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a massive increase in game crashes in this new alpha? On my machine, where alpha 7 worked fine, i can't play longer than 5 minutes before the game will crash down again. Every alpha was quite unstable (which is perfectily fine since it is alpha) but this one really is the leader in that category.

same with anyone else?

I never played before alpha 8 so I don't know how much has changed. If you can record what you were doing when the crash happened, that helps a lot to track it down. If they can be reproduced reliably then they're usually pretty simple to fix.

Fyi, I've fixed two crashers since alpha 8, the major one being that the game dies if you fire a missile, and I'm aware of a third that I haven't pinned down yet (something to do with leaving a system after combat - I think one of the ships isn't being cleaned up properly). Alpha 9 should be a bit more stable.


ReplyQuote
highlander
(@highlander)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 24
 
robn wrote:
pgargon wrote:
I have a problem with alpha 8.xx. I can´t jump in another system. I have fuel but the game say no fuel. see the picture.

Its not saying "no fuel". Its saying "this will take 1t of fuel". That jump will work fine.

I got this problem last night. I started in Sol and jumped to another system (I can't recall which one it is, unfortunately) but when I got there, I realized there weren't any settlements in it. I then tried to jump straight back to Sol. I had exactly enough hydrogen fuel left in my cargo hold (5 tonnes) to jump back to Sol, and the map said I had enough fuel (5 tonnes required). I had the Sol system selected on the galactic map, but nothing happened when I clicked the hyperspace button, or pressed F7 (or whatever the key is for jumping).

It also wouldn't let me jump to any other systems where I needed even less fuel.

Is it possible that you can't jump, then immediately jump again (i.e. without first flying to a space station/starport and docking)?


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 1035
 
highlander wrote:
I got this problem last night. I started in Sol and jumped to another system (I can't recall which one it is, unfortunately) but when I got there, I realized there weren't any settlements in it. I then tried to jump straight back to Sol. I had exactly enough hydrogen fuel left in my cargo hold (5 tonnes) to jump back to Sol, and the map said I had enough fuel (5 tonnes required). I had the Sol system selected on the galactic map, but nothing happened when I clicked the hyperspace button, or pressed F7 (or whatever the key is for jumping).

See what I wrote in the same post you quoted:

robn wrote:
That said, there is a bug in alpha 8 where you will always see "insufficent fuel" if you're not carrying enough fuel to reach the maximum distance your ship can jump, even if you're not trying to jump that far. This will be fixed in the repository and will be in alpha 9. For now just make sure you've always got a full tank of fuel.

ReplyQuote
highlander
(@highlander)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 24
 

Ah, whoops 😳


ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 1815
 

i discovered a zmall issue

max_hypercloud_analyser = 0, (developers wiki)

or

max_hypercloud_analyzer = 0, ?

both seems to have no effect and i can buy the item, set to 0 or not.


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 1035
 

I can't find either in the source or on the wiki. What are you trying to do?


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 1035
 

Ahh, found it on the wiki, 'max_hypercloud_analysers' under http://pioneerspacesim.net/wiki/index.php?title=3D_Modelling#Defining_ship_types_for_models . I'll go digging through the code to see what I can find.

Edit: Found it. Looks like 'max_hypercloud' is what you want. The complete list is in the code here:

https://github.com/tomm/pioneer/blob/master/src/ShipType.cpp#L64 .

I'll leave it to you to test and update the wiki page as appropriate.


ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 1815
 

so i will have to check all models again...

well.. don't mind

i do some mistakes usually to in every update for my models, what a heck...


ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 129
Topic starter  

Oops, sorry I've fixed the wiki now. The correct attributes are all singular not plural (max_missile not max_missiles):

max_cargo, max_engine, max_laser, max_missile, max_ecm, max_scanner, max_radarmapper, max_hypercloud, max_hullautorepair, max_energybooster, max_atmoshield, max_fuelscoop, max_lasercooler, max_cargolifesupport, max_autopilot

Due to masses of spam on the wiki I have disabled account signup and anonymous edits. If you want an account to edit with then email me tomm@riseup.net


ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 1815
 

and you did that quick,

half an hour ago... 😉

but didn't matters.

spam in the wiki?

---

yeah, i was stumbling over the max_hypercloud_analyser, all model (sets) i uploaded now use it wrong if so.

but next bigger change i will have to fix them anyway.

wenn ich dich schon mal beim zopf hab'...

does the LOD stay that way? it's no big thing, only that i have to find a new spec for many ships.

surprisingly it's about 10 times "scaled down" what was before 1,10,20,100 becomes now 1,2,5,10 else the LOD4 won't show up or only in the modelviewer when you zoom into the object.

i know i could (should) scale the bounding radius up, but that makes the ships very tiny in preview or outside camera view.

a good example is the "pioneer" ad in mushroom station, in the actual state of alpha8 it shows the texture for lowest LOD only.

additionally it seems we have some texture mip-mapping, could that be?

it looks like and in combination with the not appearing LOD they get real crappy sometimes.

after all a good improvement and the game runs more fluid.

it's not that i like to see that changed, i only like to know if that stays, for a while at least.

well, before i go and change all textures... (steps i did are often to big now, 1024x1024, next is maybe 256x256, then down to 128x128, that worked really nice before)

nice ships can be done without texture even.

2011-02-09_023308.jpg


ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6