Notifications
Clear all

Alpha29 mod by shadmar (vem1)

shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just my code ramblings over the few past posts in an win32 exe if someone want's to test it out.

All this are for my education purpose only so please don't bug the issue tracker or the original pioneer dev team with anything found in this (thanks)

All the great stuff from from alpha29 plus :

- Shiny suns and a fake flare.

- More color variety in background stars.

- Gas Giants have big "atmospheres".. or gas on top or something.

- "Thinner" atmosphere. Light also scatters. You can see very far.

- Planet lighting is extended beyond the dot product by 10% so the sun can set before it gets dark.

- Specular reflection off water.

- Scoop water off planets with water/ice (just by landing on them and waiting). -abit hairy..

- Twice the fire rate.

- Closer starport approch on planets.

- Buldings are more dull, not "glowing".

- Exhaust trail in atmosphere.

- Glowing volcanic planets. Thanks to Ae_2222

Source if someone wants to compile for other os than windows : https://github.com/shadmar/pioneer/tree/pioneer_a29_vem1

1. Download the original alpha29 win32 from the pioneer website : http://pioneerspacesim.net/download

2. Unzip the attched file below replacing files.

StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

Cheers, Mate. Will try ASP!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

sounds promising, will try it as soon as i'm back in "ulisbach".

let's hope the boss is playing nice and we havn't so much snowfall as we had the last two weeks and i will have more time for pioneer.

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

Just gave this a try, water reflection from orbit looks very realistic indeed. Sun flare and diffusion look great and seem to have a nice transition from surface to orbit.

The vapor trails make a nice effect. My only 'micro' gripe is that they seem to end a bit abruptly (at least on my set-up) - Any possibility that they might be diffused or dimmed down somewhat near their trailing end?

A superb job Shadmar - you made my Xmas 'brighter' literally. 

ReplyQuote
Loki999
(@loki999)
Master Chief Registered

Tried it out, really great stuff.  No problems encountered.

Looked good even on my less powerful rig, although i think there was a small drop in FPS, but that's understandable.

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

Love it so far...it really tickles the imagination.

Just a little bit less colourful star-backraound would be nice too.

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

Beautiful. It's amazing how much a difference these changes make. Atmosphere looks much cleaner and I love the city lighting changes.

I couldn't get the .dll files to work with alpha 30 dev, however, using just the shader files makes a large difference. Thanks shadmar for all your hardwork.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

The vaportrail should ideally have one for each thruster, this was just a quick experiment. It could use some more work too on the hard edged end.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

Shadmar, looking again (WOW)  I think Vuzz is right about the trail being in reverse. Also is it possible to enable/eliminate the sun's flare effect on atmosphere worlds using the altimeter as a switch. Unless I'm in a cockpit view lens flare seems out of place - in space. Atmospheres can give an excuse for some lens flare appearance. Diffusion effects are the more likely fare, dust clouds and light warping black holes not withstanding 😉

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

I think maybe Vuzz is referring to the fuzzing out of the terminator. Probably comes with the territory of diffusing the light source -  

(not that some tuning might not improve the existing config)

Stark terminator shadows can be really spectacular - some method to have the range and benefits of both on atmosphere worlds would be desirable - Not sure how this can be done without introducing moving cloud layers though.

ReplyQuote