Notifications
Clear all

An introduction and an announcement of future of pioneer tweets

impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi!

First I should introduce myself to those who don't already know me. I'm part of the pioneer dev-team, and if you've been by #pioneer (irc) anytime during the past two years we've most likely talked. I haven't signed up here until now, since I've felt content with other channels used for development.

Introduction

For those curious, some of my contributions that are most noticeable on the player side would be the Trade analyzer/econ improv, Advanced Radar Mapper, Second Hand BBS advert,  an improved money format, the reputation system, and the more rare News BBS event, plus some other stuff.

Twitter is alive!

I've now shouldered @pioneerspacesim and intend to use this as our channel towards the rest of the world. Unlike the (broken) bot/buildscript, every build will not be tweeted, but rather, tweets will go out when noteworthy things happen that players will feel upgrade-worthy or great progress to the project, such as our recent addition of Chinese, or new/updated ships such as the Lunar shuttle, major bugs fixed, or the recent return of Mac OSX builds.

Please help us make Twitter nicer looking

I was thinking we aught to have a nicer twitter header picture, some examples here. The problem with the pioneer screen shots page is there are too many to choose from! Some suggestions/guidelines for a header:

• Since we're showing Pioneer, it should be without any mods, so just vanilla Pioneer
  • Something scenic, that looks good in 3:1, twitter recommends 1500x500 pixels.
  • No text or coordinates from screen dump.
  • Perhaps not any space stations since we're, hopefully about to throw them out.
  • If using a ship perahps a nice one from Mandarava-Csepel line showing ships unique to pioneer, and in line with future direction

(Looking at some nice examples some play with simple geometrical forms, others with symmetry, some have a minimalistic approach.)

So in summary, if you happen to have some nice looking 3:1 scaled pioneer screen shots or art feel free to share it here.

Thanks for showing interest!

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi impaktor

Welcome to the SSC.    I dont use twitter myself but glad to see any means of spreading the good news about Pioneer around the net. Also, thank you for your wonderful work you have contributed to the project. I will of course keep plodding away with my monthly Mod DB updates but a twitter feed will be a welcome addition. I will give it a plug in my next update.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@impaktor One of the dev that has most worked lately on adding content to the Pioneer engine. 

Welcome to the true historic birthplace of Pioneer. Here you will find the real players.

They are (we are) something frugal to write but read. 

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

Thanks for the warm welcome, and kind words. I don't want to steal credit from the devs who do the really heavy lifting, and considering the recent (temporary?) departure of both robn and johnbartholomew, most falls on fluffyfreak nowadays.

So back to the screenshot hunt: I've gone through the Wanted: new screenshots thread, seen very many nice screen shots, and among them here are some images I think could be used as twitter header:

By Luomu: I wonder what ship that is? It most certainly isn't in the current Pioneer since that post is from 2011, but might be OK if you cant really see the ship model. If I rescale it to 1500x500 it looks like so:

earth2.png

I guess this could be redone, perhaps another ship, and maybe a different planet? Rings? More alien?

These by Tichy have a nice symmetry I like.

Then in another post I took a liking to this one (although Eagle fighter, and navigation text is sub optimal for usage)
oI2Ou.png

This post by Rhonijin has, alas too low resolution, this very nice one:
post-2895-0-36177700-1363404986.png

I also found this by fluffyfreak nice, but resolution is a bit too low.
post-1192-0-89093100-1369162818.png

Here are a few by By DraQ, in particular, I liked this one
1sfo7k.jpg

Well, that was just some suggestions of what I imagine for the twitter page.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I like the last one best.

The other ship in the first picture is the Eagle.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Some more random screenshots 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Damn it resizes them down, well i have the originals.

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

OK, using the thumbnails from your post, and cropping+rotating and flipping them (lower left corner aught to be clean), this is what I got:

post_1192_0_27779000_1416757457.png

post_1192_0_41089400_1416757465.png

post_1192_0_67884500_1416757469.png

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

Pardon for necro-posting, but this thread seemed appropriate to remind players to check our twitter account, where we've started posting more frequently again, for example some screen shots and videos teasing many of the recent improvements we've made, on code, models, ships, and balance:

https://twitter.com/pioneerspacesim/

We've seen amazing progress on the code since the February release, much thanks to sturnclaw/Web-eWorks who's become one of the major coders on the project over the past 1-2 years. Just today we merged "Wanted commodity" BBS advert for commodity that is sold out, offering twice the price, just like in Frontier, and yesterday we got the radar into Lua code. My personal favourite of recent improvements is showing the background stars in the system view display, (demonstrated in video on our twitter account above).

Recently, we made some changes in github, so we now have new builds every time new features is added or suggested. Here's the master builds for windows and linux (at bottom of page); however, you (currently) need a github account download.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by impaktor

ReplyQuote