Clear all

Buildings

Page 2 / 3

KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Quote:
I will be working on procedural building layout soon

That sounds like a dream coming true. I just love procedural stuff in games 😀 . Can't wait to see it action.

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

Ross128 wrote:
i like very much the second globular building, as already sayd it is a nice retro-style touch

who remember the landscape destroyed by the planet in Star-Maidens? (look at 1:21)

Nice. I dig the retro style too, and those models made by Grey look great in game. Having the building placed on platforms may solve the issue of not having roads or a base for the building. Maybe we use flying cars in the future. 😀

ReplyQuote
greyoxide
(@greyoxide)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
Taquito wrote:
Ross128 wrote:
i like very much the second globular building, as already sayd it is a nice retro-style touch

who remember the landscape destroyed by the planet in Star-Maidens? (look at 1:21)

Nice. I dig the retro style too, and those models made by Grey look great in game. Having the building placed on platforms may solve the issue of not having roads or a base for the building. Maybe we use flying cars in the future. 😀

How is the terrain generated? Is it just Perlin noise on a global scale? It seems like the cities are procedurally confined to a specific region, why cant we use a heightmap to define an exception to the Noise algorithm for that area?

Otherwise all of the buildings have to be made to look sort of temporary, like the could take off and fly with you at any moment.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

why should they? isn't it great that a city can overlap a crater wall occasionally, or build on a cliffs edge.

we will have to find the architectural solutions for it, that's all.

idea, make a building that looks like a bulb with the small part as only part overground, the rest will be only visible at special occasions when the slope is high enough.

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
why should they? isn't it great that a city can overlap a crater wall occasionally, or build on a cliffs edge.

we will have to find the architectural solutions for it, that's all.

idea, make a building that looks like a bulb with the small part as only part overground, the rest will be only visible at special occasions when the slope is high enough.

the city renderer can get the level of the terrain under a building, so I could make it draw a platform and raise the building up to the required height so that none of it is under the surface (currently the centroid of the underside of the building is at height 0, and the sides will be either below or above the ground.

I'll experiment with this. I suggest that city models with 'foundations' should have them removed from the model. They don't render right with shaders disabled and we can do this better automatically.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
the city renderer can get the level of the terrain under a building, so I could make it draw a platform and raise the building up to the required height so that none of it is under the surface (currently the centroid of the underside of the building is at height 0, and the sides will be either below or above the ground.

Cool idea, having 'basements' can totally fuck things up, it gets really confusing on an asteroid, a bit like waching a hyper-cube rotate 😉 Where is that ground... oops... dead.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
I'll experiment with this. I suggest that city models with 'foundations' should have them removed from the model. They don't render right with shaders disabled and we can do this better automatically.

one's dislike is another ones advantage, or vice versa.

do we have to respect that such extreme? only a few have no support for shaders.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

so this will endup on the junkyard?

[attachment=556:2011-02-18_180138.jpg]

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Whats that? It looks like a warp-core from a ship 🙂 Ok maybe I've been watching too much star-trek 🙂

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:

[attachment=0]2011-02-18_180138.jpg[/attachment]

I was trying to do same thing based on Greyoxide models. Something similar to the Arcology but with buildings on top and with an entry for flying cars. 😀

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

another building

[attachment=560:2011-02-19_011906.jpg][attachment=561:2011-02-19_031726.jpg]

[attachment=2]coil_bld_(2011-02-19).zip[/attachment]

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

lsat one looks interesting how a bit longer horizontally

ReplyQuote
Coolhand
(@coolhand)
Master Chief Registered

Taquito wrote:
potsmoke66 wrote:

[attachment=0]2011-02-18_180138.jpg[/attachment]

I was trying to do same thing based on Greyoxide models. Something similar to the Arcology but with buildings on top and with an entry for flying cars. 😀

[hsimg] [/hsimg]/div>

reminds me of the jetsons house sorta.

bad way to do windows though, no? i mean by insetting every poly around there you turn 2 triangles into 10.

just a general comment but whats with all the round 60's style buildings as well... really unnecessarily upping the triangle count... I mean if youre having hundreds of them in a city perhaps it would be better to base them on something simpler.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

yes, i suggest to simply overlay them, something i have to do for my octaeder buildings (combo), the windows are inlet (the first model was a scripted one), but it's useless.

for all later buildings i overlayed either quads sized as the window or i used the "whole" quad and applied a cut out texture containing many windows.

to avoid z depth conflict you can set later the zbias in the script, to proper overlay one face on another.

make two or three groups of windows which you later can enlighten at different timepoints, you only have to change the material in the script, that costs nothing.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i made a short demo from my last building because it shows how you can use the LOD.

the building i used for the lowest visible LOD is the same as the collision mesh (pink).

watch also how the polycount changes, the windows turn to opaque and all what is inside the dome is left away.

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

Got it. I'm trying to do another one. Sorry, I'm barely new at 3d modeling and I'm kinda of stuck with the uv mapping and textures. I'm not sure If I'm doing it right. 😐 The Idea of the Jetsons Building was more for a apartment complex rather than a home. Single homes are not that practical with high population, or I guess It could with new planets.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i have made a few new buildings, but maybe need to rework my archology, before i post them.

[attachment=565:2011-02-24_021555.jpg]

i try to use the LOD more intensive for my buildings (if possible), that's why i revisited all city3k buildings.

[attachment=566:2011-02-24_024152.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

well, some might to like some additional buildings, 😉

buildings_p66_2011-02-24.zip

it includes the previous coil building and the two above presented buildings, though you might delete the old coil_bld folder if you downloaded it allready.

intentionally i made them to place inside the dome of the archo, but they work as well outside.

like i said the whole city3k will be renewed, they will come anyway with the new version of it, because the models are needed by the archology.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

imo it would look boring if all buildings were settled on leveled ground

[attachment=567:2011-02-24_071714.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

woot! Can't wait to see the new city models! 😀 The new textures by potsmoke and the textures in Grey Models seems to work very well in the game. Here's some nice concepts:

2j2hhg5.gif

Like how the buildings seem to intersect with some sort of pipelines:

2w6dod2.jpg

Houses on top of each other perhaps:

r2m1zl.jpg

zvy1dc.jpg

Cyberpunk, my favorite style 😀 With neon colored windows:

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

mm4idd.jpg

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

the buildings are a good idea, now just need different styles and perhaps different bases etc

ReplyQuote
freegamer
(@freegamer)
Petty Officer Registered

The cities would look a lot, lot better if there were roads and other flatter areas of land. At the moment it looks like somebody used a pepper shaker to scatter them over the surface just before the player arrived. They don't look like they are in a 'used' area of land, but just temporary appendages.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i don't know, i like it, it's ment to be that way.

at least you have three types of buildings which use different areas in the city, the rest is random.

there was road tiles and such in frontier/ffe i know, but it was like when you set shaders off in pioneer the surface was transparent for objects like ships or buildings. flat tiles of roads or parks would be seen no matter if above or below surface.

further and one can see that on the pictures taquito posted, it's a question of style, to me at least.

i repeat if i could separate cities on habitable planets from such that are hostile, i would have used skyscrapers and other more common buildings. but imo skyscrapers look stupid on a moon.

there are some limit's in such a game and cities can never have dimensions of real cities, that would go to far i guess.

allready it's hard to get more bigger buildings placed, because with the size they get rare and because they use some more space as they are sized you get a city with only a few buildings.

but buildings are really easy to model and to write the script to bind it into pioneer is no big thing.

go on, try yourself.

what one could do is to cheat the scale of the buildings, you wouldn't recognize in a normal gameplay if all buildings would have only half of the "real" size as long as all are scaled the same (but in a massively oversized spaceport).

this would result in a "bigger" looking city, because more buildings get placed on the same space.

ReplyQuote
freegamer
(@freegamer)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm not suggesting that cities should be massive (although, given the dynamic nature of Pioneer, it's not beyond the realms of impossibility; flatten the land to reduce terrain computation overhead and have more buildings).

I'm saying that settlements - even the smallest - have some form of roads, and buildings - even tiny ones - very rarely just jut out of unmodified terrain. Because of this, the current buildings in Pioneer look totally out of place. They look like they do not belong where they are because there's no evidence of integration with the landscape.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
They look like they do not belong where they are because there's no evidence of integration with the landscape

strangewisely exactly this i like. 😉

and i guess realism shouldn't go to far with something secondary like cities.

well, it's to imagine that road tiles could be placed, but simply seeded? would look still artificial, displaced.

so you would have to connect building and road tiles and then powerlines, we have powerlines in frontier but how to place them in a reasonable way? and so on....

you see what i mean, it get's to far, this is pioneer not sim city

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3