Notifications
Clear all

Can install, but won't run

taotoo
(@taotoo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Game installs fine.

When I try and run it, I get lots of screen flickering (feels like windows is disabling desktop composition etc.), then an error message and half-frozen pc.

Win7

Intel x3100 / GM965

I really want to get this going.

RedRiver
(@redriver)
Petty Officer Registered

you need a better video card that support shaders 3 or so...

ReplyQuote
taotoo
(@taotoo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks very much for your reply RedRiver.

Unfortunately it's a laptop (albeit only a couple of years old), so it looks like I'm going to miss out on this one.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

All is perhaps not lost taotoo. Maybe Tomm and the others might provide a way to disable the shaders within the exe. Remember it is still early days for Pioneer. I still don't think we have seen what the final finished version is going to be like, only a hint of what might, could be, so don't give up hope!

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Cant you just disable the shaders in the .ini file?

ReplyQuote
taotoo
(@taotoo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Geraldine and s20dan, between you you've cracked it. Thanks very much for getting me up and running!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

so you managed it to find the .ini and disabled shaders? that's ok 😀

if you find the (etreme) large basement's of the buildings then annoying

there is a simple way to remove them.

this just in case you use my new city look at all

to save some power additional you can switch the arco's rotation off, if you open the script lookout for "arco_01"

(at the very bottom)

you will find this passage

Code:
--arco_lift_1(lod)

--[[
call_model('arco01_rot', v(0,0,0), v(1,0,0), v(0,1,0),1)
texture(nil)
use_material('dome')

sphere_slice(12*lod,4*lod,0,.3*math.pi, Matrix.translate(v(0,340,0)) * Matrix.scale(v(305,305,305)))
--]]
if lod == 1 then
texture(nil)
sphere_slice(12*lod,4*lod,0,.3*math.pi, Matrix.translate(v(0,340,0)) * Matrix.scale(v(305,305,305)))
end

end,

dynamic = function(lod)
if lod > 1 then
local rot = math.pi*get_arg(3)/12
call_model('arco01_rot', v(0,0,0), v(math.cos(rot),0,math.sin(rot)), v(0,1,0),1)

texture(nil)
use_material('dome')
end
end

})

you see it's only disabled (or enabled, depends on how you look at)

it's only a bit of typing get it the other way like this,

Code:
--arco_lift_1(lod)

---[[
texture(nil)
use_material('dome')

--]]
--[[
if lod == 1 then
texture(nil)
end
--]]
end--[[,

dynamic = function(lod)
if lod > 1 then
local rot = math.pi*get_arg(3)/12
call_model('arco01_rot', v(0,0,0), v(math.cos(rot),0,math.sin(rot)), v(0,1,0),1)

texture(nil)
use_material('dome')
end
end
--]]
})

other gamers, having maybe some system resources free still, i can only encourage to open the original scripts and look for things you can enhance.

forget the "lift", the arco's still under construction, but the workers are under strike actually 😆

adverts have most removed of animated textures but still could be enabled

vice versa you can disable/enable some animated textures for the factory3k models in a similar way

i don't like to explain all in detail here, find out yourself.

further if you look close you can make the small lake in the dome animated with also such a simple edit.

the size of models and models i disabled i wouldn't change, because it's nicely trimmed to show still one arco for most cities down to "high", but feel free to experiment with that, a little change of size or adding/removing a building can change the whole appearance of the cities.

changing groups of enlightened windows i removed completely, i guess, but i think i should make two kinds of cities in future. one lower graded and one using all the nice animated stuff.

but since animations are not so important, you won't see or recognize in a common gameplay, i removed most.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

taotoo wrote:
Geraldine and s20dan, between you you've cracked it. Thanks very much for getting me up and running!

Great! Glad your up and running, but the credit goes to S20dan; the ini file, of course! 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

taotoo wrote:

Your welcome. Kill a few pirates for me 😉

ReplyQuote
taotoo
(@taotoo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
potsmoke66 wrote:
so you managed it to find the .ini and disabled shaders? that's ok 😀

Hi Potsmoke - yes found the ini file and now it's running well. Framerates are good too. Having lots of fun just flying around and looking out the window. Looks like there's lots of good info in your post, thanks for that - I'll go through it more thoroughly, but have a little more flying around to do first....

ReplyQuote