Notifications
Clear all

Compiled revision 710 and running on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty

Rattan
(@rattan)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Looks good. No problems other than usual newbie stuff that amounts to getting used to interfaces, controls, and procedures.

Deciding factor for me on downloading it was seeing the youtube vid (

... r_embedded). I first heard of Pioneer on the Oolite forum a little under a month ago, so this is kind of a de-lurk. I updated tonight after seeing the Alpha 5 announcement.

My question (every newb has a question, don't they?) would be "Is there joystick capability in this game?"

h54
 h54
(@h54)
Crewman Registered

Did you compile or did you get the binaries to run? I'm running 11.04 64-bit and cant seem to resolve the dependencies needed for the game to run.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Dead thread is alive!

If you're compiling yourself, then everything will just work on 64-bit. If you're using an alpha or nightly build, which are 32-bit builds, you'll need the various 32-bit compat libraries for your platform. I can't comment on exactly what's required as I don't us a 64-bit Linux here, but do some searching - its a very common question.

ReplyQuote
h54
 h54
(@h54)
Crewman Registered

robn wrote:
Dead thread is alive!

If you're compiling yourself, then everything will just work on 64-bit. If you're using an alpha or nightly build, which are 32-bit builds, you'll need the various 32-bit compat libraries for your platform. I can't comment on exactly what's required as I don't us a 64-bit Linux here, but do some searching - its a very common question.

Thanks for the response! I have the 32 bit compatibility libraries installed (ia32-libs) and used getlibs to install the other missing libraries but something still isn't right. I'll just try to compile it. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

The compiling guide on the wiki, http://pioneerspacesim.net/wiki/index.p ... ng_pioneer, no longer works.

One of the dependencies listed on the page is no longer available (or has been updated, or is deprecated - I'm not sure which. Too much of a technophobe to work it out.)

sudo apt-get install libsigc++-2.0-dev libglut3-dev libglew1.5-dev libsdl1.2-dev libvorbis-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev dh-autoreconf git libfreetype6-dev

I compiled and ran Alpha13 just fine on my Linux Mint box which has the dependencies I downloaded, in order to install Alpha12.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

In Ubuntu 10.10, I ran the foolowing command:

Code:
dpkg -l libsigc++-2.0-dev libglut3-dev libglew1.5-dev libsdl1.2-dev libvorbis-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev dh-autoreconf git libfreetype6-dev

and saw the following results:

Code:
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================================
ii dh-autoreconf 2 debhelper add-on to call autoreconf and clean up after the build
ii git 1:1.7.1-1.1ubuntu0.1 fast, scalable, distributed revision control system
ii libfreetype6-dev 2.4.2-2ubuntu0.2 FreeType 2 font engine, development files
ii libglew1.5-dev 1.5.2-0ubuntu1 The OpenGL Extension Wrangler - development environment
ii libglut3-dev 3.7-25 development libraries and headers for GLUT
ii libsdl-image1.2-dev 1.2.10-2 development files for SDL 1.2 image loading libray
ii libsdl1.2-dev 1.2.14-6ubuntu3 Simple DirectMedia Layer development files
ii libsigc++-2.0-dev 2.2.4.2-1 type-safe Signal Framework for C++ - development files
ii libvorbis-dev 1.3.1-1 The Vorbis General Audio Compression Codec (development files)

Putting aside the reasons or whatever, which of these packages were you unable to install?

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

This is the output from my netbook, running Linux Mint XFCE (Katya). If the output isn't helpful, I can post the output from my other boxes later this weekend.

Quote:
dpkg -l libsigc++-2.0-dev libglut3-dev libglew1.5-dev libsdl1.2-dev libvorbis-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev dh-autoreconf git libfreetype6-dev

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold

| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend

|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

||/ Name Version Description

+++-==============-==============-============================================

ii git 1:1.7.5.4-1 fast, scalable, distributed revision control

No packages found matching libsigc++-2.0-dev.

No packages found matching libglut3-dev.

No packages found matching libglew1.5-dev.

No packages found matching libsdl1.2-dev.

No packages found matching libvorbis-dev.

No packages found matching libsdl-image1.2-dev.

No packages found matching dh-autoreconf.

No packages found matching libfreetype6-dev.

By the way, I haven't noticed any problems under Ubuntu 10.10, only under 11.04 and distros based on it (such as Katya). I am not planning to run Pioneer on my netbook; this just happens to be the computer I have with me.

I did the usual Linux 'check that your software sources are all ticked' process; I couldn't see any software sources, besides Source Code and the like, which should be ticked but aren't.

ReplyQuote