Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/pull/1973

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Crew on board your ship will slowly improve. Basically, each week when they get paid they get another point to allocate to their skill sheet. This is allocated to their best skills first, unless they're getting very high, in which case they will start to round their skills out.

Now why did that make me laugh?

Seriously, this looks really good.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)
Warrant Officer Registered

this could open up some interesting mission possibilities....like employing a crew member to sneak onboard another vessel and sabotage it's hyperdrive so you can chase it down and blow it up.

nice ideas.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Oh been looking forward to this branch getting in 🙂

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Do test it, play with it, let me know what's broken. I've been working on that pretty much solo, which means that it'll be full of the sort of problems that I can't see.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

given the snow situation, i'm hoping no one else can make it into the office tomorrow so i plan to play all day...shame i only live 5mins from the office.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

If you have problems with the mafia, or the union, let me know. I have some "amici". 

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Nice Brian

My crewmember just blew up a Lynx bulkship which is not good for me.

POLICE shows up, I change target, but now he says there is no body else able to fly this ship.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Anyway when it works a 102 per week paid crew shoots better than me 🙂

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Find a pilot. It'll say "Pilot" on their photo. They're much better at taking over than a similarly qualified all-rounder.

Also, as they gain experience, they'll be able to take the controls more reliably.

For me, the most valuable asset is an engineer. Given metal alloys, they can repair the hull. Also, if you don't manage to get your engine serviced, they can save your hyperdrive before it fails. They're not perfect (a full service from a reputable company is certain to help) but three or more highly qualified engineers means that you could probably cross the galaxy without needing to service your engine.

By the way, *you* have an engineering stat. It's only 15 by default (which is pretty rubbish, the same as a $10 per week crew member) and it doesn't improve over time, but there's always a chance that you can save your own hyperdrive or repair your own hull. There's room here for a "training course" bulletin board ad, which will boost your stats a little in exchange for some cash.

Oh yes, nearly forgot - if you or your crew bodge a hull repair, they can do more harm than good.

If you want to cheat yourself some random (and almost certainly better) stats, you can use this in the Lua console:

PersistentCharacters.player:RollNew(true)

If you want to make all of your crew totally amazing at piloting, such that they'll always be able to take on an order to destroy your target, use this one:

for crew in Game.player:EachCrewMember() do crew.piloting = 65 end

65 is as good as a skill gets, as long as it's an unmodified test. Your crew roll a virtual 4d16, which is impossible to roll over.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Ok I didn't know. I take it their skill is tested for every task. Ok makes sense.

I will give this a testspin. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Maybe if possible giving commands to crew should be done more easily if you could use the same UI as when you control autopilot. (haven't really checked if that is possible at all from lua)

Going F3, then clik the tab is abit jerky if you want to have easy/fast access to your crew commands, I don't know.. Just my opinion.

Otherwise I think this will greatly enrich the gameplay especially for bigger vessels, this could also be expanded for future surface/mining operations, quite some possibilities.

This also inspired me to improving the pirates in the game.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

There is no new UI on anything but the main menu and F3 screen yet.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

There is no new UI on anything but the main menu and F3 screen yet.

I'm being somewhat tardy on that. It is coming, I'm just in the middle of about ten work branches at the moment 🙂

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

My engineer has saved me a lot of money in repairs of hull. Still can not do some things but is very nice and cooks well.

crew-20130123-104407.png

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

That whole screen needs a lot of work.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

I need to learn how to compile pioneer. I'm feeling left out.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

The only reason it needs to be recompiled for crew is so that the minimum and maximum crew numbers can be read from the ship defs. Everything else is pure Lua. (-:

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"...the minimum and maximum crew numbers can be read from the ship defs..."

Have you thought other solutions?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

The ship def is the right place for this information. Originally, there was a Lua table with the crew values in it. You can see the work that took place between 4b49097 and f71c2df.

So yes, we thought of other solutions, and even used one - but right from the start we always knew it was temporary.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

I was thinking of crew cabins.

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

I absolutely love this concept and can't wait to see this once in the master.  It makes piloting large ships that much more interesting and opens up alot of gameplay options. This is one of the biggest gameplay additions for a while.

@Metamartian; and anyone else curious. Took me a bit to figure it out. But to compile this (for windows at least, thats what I'm using) I used Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express with SP1. The service pack is necessary otherwise it will fail to build. You can download it for free here:  http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads .

Then you will need to download the Pioneer third-party packages available here:  https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer-thirdparty .  And place the contents into the main Pioneer folder. (Make sure to rename the 'Source' folder in the thirdparty download to 'src', so it will overwrite the one included with Pioneer).  

You then open up Pioneer.vcxproj with 2010 Express. Located at PioneerMainFolder/win32/vc2010/pioneer.vcxproj, and build as either a debug or release version. Not sure if it matters; someone with more experience will know.

And there you go. That's how you compile this branch of Pioneer on windows as told by someone who just figured out how to do so about 5 minutes ago. 

EDIT: Actually, ignore all that (it might work, but it's the incorrect way to do it). Just go here and read it:  https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/blob/master/COMPILING.txt

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

I was thinking of crew cabins.

Simple. An Eagle has one crew cabin (yours). A viper has two, but the ship only requires one to fly. That's how it works. The cabins are there, permanently, just as they are on a sea-going vessel.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

hi , nobody's of you can't make a patch for that ?

like a mods for example ? thanks 

The tourist on holidays

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

So what's the simplest way to use this, given that I don't have github on here, is anyone able to put the crew files into a .zip so I can compile them into Alpha 30?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3