Notifications
Clear all

Crew.

Page 2 / 3

Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Not that simple. You need to recompile Pioneer itself.

You can download the latest source code from Github as a zip file, although installing Git on your computer will let you keep that source up to date without re-downloading everything each time.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

So all I need is the latest source code and VC 2010, i.e. everything's in the source code already?

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

WARNING: Don't download the "pioneer-thirdparty" into the "pioneer" folder.

Download it NEXT TOO it.

So your folder would looks something like this:

• C:
  • C:pioneer
  • C:pioneer-thirdparty

The solution should be setup with a relative path, you can also use the Visual Studio 2012 Express Edition which is free and can be downloaded.

I just checked and it looks like the bloody wiki is out of date and doesn't mention any of this 🙁

I personally have something that looks like this on my HDD, as an EXAMPLE ONLY:

• D:
  • D:Code
  • D:Codepioneer
  • D:Codepioneer-alt
  • D:Codepioneer-terrain
  • D:Codepioneer-thirdparty

Where "pioneer-alt" and "pioneer-terrain" are just different branches of my own codebase to save me from checking them out all the item as I switched around a lot.

The "pioneer-thirdparty" is always in the same place though which makes it a lot easier to develop with 🙂

Hope that helps.

Andy

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I just checked and it looks like the bloody wiki is out of date and doesn't mention any of this 🙁

I hope you updated it.

Edit: Actually, never mind. I've just scrapped that section and replaced it with a link to the COMPILING.txt file that's included in the repository (and is more up-to-date).

John B

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Cool, I'm at work so can't really do too much, just compiling right now 🙂

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

It is the first time  i see that players have to compile to try something again.

To compile it is for dev.  usually, you are on strike?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

So all I need is the latest source code and VC 2010, i.e. everything's in the source code already?

No, you'll have to get the source code on my Kroo branch.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

It is the first time  i see that players have to compile to try something again.

Welcome to the world of free, open source software. Since this feature isn't in any alpha or nightly build, and I can't build it for you unless you happen to have a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 machine, this is how it works. You either build it yourself, or you wait until it's completely finished and included in the master branch.

If this was a commercial game, even an indie one, you wouldn't have the opportunity to try it at all. It would simply be a line in the "features coming soon" list.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

I wanted to test how it worked and changed my viper by an eagle.

As I suspected, Lisa is still here. 

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Here is a patch if you run windows to test crew, unzip on top of one of the latest nightlies.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

Walterar say:

As I suspected, Lisa is still here.

She has to be lying in a basket near your feets  🙂

how it's beautiful the love!

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

WARNING: Don't download the "pioneer-thirdparty" into the "pioneer" folder.

Download it NEXT TOO it.

So your folder would looks something like this:

• C:
  • C:pioneer
  • C:pioneer-thirdparty

Ah ok. Figured I was doing something wrong somehow.  Out of curiosity, what is the problem with putting pioneer-thirdparty in the main folder?  It's worked for me everytime I've done it. Not disputing that it is the wrong way to do it just wondering what's the reasoning behind it and potential problems.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

I've tried it and I like it, however I got no idea what you're planning, so if I say stuff you're already working on, ignore my ideas.

Here goes:

Obviously, the bigger ships can have more crew, but would it be possible to destroy a ship and (say) capture its crew, then use them in your own ship as captive crew? That to my mind would cut down on wages a lot but have its own issues (keeping them in line springs to mind, somehow I doubt a crew of pirates want to work on my ship)

Secondly, is it possible to trade empty space for crew cabins? Say I got a ship with 100t free space and I get 10 cabins at (for instance) 2t each, that'd be 20t of space taken up by extra crew. Conversely, I could sell those to free up space.

Are the above doable?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Probably, although getting it all working stably and properly is the first goal. Now the weekend's here, that might even happen.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

i have a question  about integrating some news ships, in these case i must just def max and min crew in ships lua ? 

i mean there is nothing must added in src for an added ship ? 

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

It's worked fine in the 20 minutes I played, is there a table that's easily readable of what ship has what min/max crew? I tried reading the lua but on my small screen it just winds up giving me a headache, I'll try again on my bigger screen

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Open the console (with the backtick (`) key) and type:

ShipType.GetShipTypes("SHIP", function (s) print(string.format("%s min %d max %d",s.name,s.minCrew,s.maxCrew)) end)

The output will probably roll off your screen, but it will also go to stdout.txt.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah ok. Figured I was doing something wrong somehow.  Out of curiosity, what is the problem with putting pioneer-thirdparty in the main folder?  It's worked for me everytime I've done it. Not disputing that it is the wrong way to do it just wondering what's the reasoning behind it and potential problems.

If you're just downloading the sourcecode as a zip/tar then it's probably ok, not as convenient as you have to copy it into each copy of the pioneer sourcecode you ever grab, but it should work.

However if you've actually using GitHub to fetch the source then you've got two repositories on top of each other, which means that each one can see the others files but they're not checked in. So if you clean one of the repositories to get rid of unused files, it will actually remove ones that are supposed to be in the other. Then of course you might also have conflicts with similarly named files in the same folders, or changes in on repository breaking the other etc.

Also my example of having two copies of pioneer checked out is only what i'm down too at the moment, on my main development PC I have 6! 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

i have a question  about integrating some news ships, in these case i must just def max and min crew in ships lua ? 

i mean there is nothing must added in src for an added ship ? 

You don' need to change any source to add a new ship. it's all done through Lua. That's how we support mods with other ships etc.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

thanks for the answer fluffy.

that's fine , going to test that

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

I like the fact my 65 piloting crew (after 14 hours) can fly and land anywhere at all. Oh and attack anything that is a target.

However, I can't find a decent engineer or navigator

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

No, no source code changes are needed for new ships.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

Either I'm gaming the system or getting very lucky with the crew randomizing.

Started at Earth, got a 60 pilot

Went to Mars, 65 engineer

To the Moon, 60 navigation

Then to the stationa round Earth, 65 sensors.

I like this crew a lot, I like it. Yeah, they may cost a lot, but they are worth it. And all that in a Caribou I'm slowly turning into a spacebound fortress

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

You got quite lucky. Then again, you probably know how to look for crew properly.

Sol has so many crew going that you can generally find everybody you'd ever need. A combination of very high population and an extraordinary number of starports (22 in total) gives you 330 potential crew members to choose from. More, if you game the system by hiring and then promptly firing unskilled crew.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3