Notifications
Clear all

Elite IV (a.k.a Dangerous

Page 4 / 4

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Yes but it's kind of a deal breaker for me, i'm less interested in shooting things than I am in exploring things.

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

I agree with the comments re: seamless landings. It means the skunkworks were closer to 'skunk scent vapor works (tm)' . Shame.

As we all know, a decent SLP engine takes a lot of work - look at Pioneer & I-Novae. If they even had it at alpha they'd be showing what they've got before Xmas. They showed those shitty gas cloud alpha where the textures popped on and off. So show me a planet surface David!! Otherwise they are yet to start work on it & we're not likely to see that function roll out for at least 12-16 months from launch . As Fluffy said, he's said it's been coming a long time.

It's not a deal breaker , I'll back his promise that it will come based on the fact he did it better than anyone and did it first back in the day. But I've dropped my pledge level. Goodbye 'Trumpet Terminal'

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

Things are getting interesting. The KS campaign is getting to the last stretch of the road, with 16 days left.

I hope they show some jaw-dropping stuff soon otherwise i doubt the Backing will hit the goal.

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

It was about time to provide an update to the KS fund raising process. A linear extrapolation still gives about £950k (same as 13 days ago), but I guess we'll now start to see an increase in the rate of pledged amounts.

untitl10.png

ReplyQuote
lionheart
(@lionheart)
Petty Officer Registered

It was about time to provide an update to the KS fund raising process. A linear extrapolation still gives about £950k (same as 13 days ago), but I guess we'll now start to see an increase in the rate of pledged amounts.

untitl10.png

Well its already at £983,000 with 8 days to go, so hopefully the upward trend will continue and it will be funded. I worry that if the KS fails, Braben won't see it as the fault of the poor Kickstarter, but as "evidence" that there is no demand for a new version of Elite.

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

I worry that if the KS fails, Braben won't see it as the fault of the poor Kickstarter, but as "evidence" that there is no demand for a new version of Elite.

This is absurd.

If he really does shift the blame for a failure to the market or the people (who have been waitng decades), then there is no helping him.

As an 'professional' game-maker, he sould be painfully aware how poor his KS pitch was by todays standart.

For god's sake, just look at how Josh from 'Limit Theory', as an noob in the game-making industry still managed a decent Pitch.

And Braben who has a mutlimiliion $ company and more than 200 people at his disposal could not.

People, so it seems, have forgotten how Elite's KS page looked 40 day ago.

Every Game-related site on the NET pointed this out.

There is simply no excuse, for that cheap attempt at money grubbing.

One thing that annoyed me, was the fact that they didn't even elaborate how the money will be used.

Many devs on KS have at least posted a breakdown of their financial plan for a project.

And he is asking for frakking 1524787.50 Euros.

Yao Ming's famous face comes to mind.

ReplyQuote
lionheart
(@lionheart)
Petty Officer Registered

This is absurd.

It is absurd, but it's the sort of language he was using at the start of the pitch. Like you said, that a young guy with no experience could work out Kickstarter more easily than the head of a studio with hundreds of employees and decades of experience is pretty embarrassing, yet that's exactly what happened.

In some ways it might be good for them to be given a bloody nose, and to spend 6 months coming up with a pitch of the quality that Star Citizen managed. But like I said I'm concerned that Braben would simply drop the project entirely. 

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

Looks indeed the fund raising rate is increasing quite a lot and the target is more and more likely to be met. GBP 250K are still missing, but the average amount per day over the last 6 days was GBP 28K, and still on an increasing trend.

untitl12.png

ReplyQuote
Dalkeith
(@dalkeith)
Senior Chief Registered

At the end of the day funding anything is a risk.

As for money grabbing KS is not just a funding tool its actually as much about marketing as anything else. Its the best marketing device I've seen.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Yes, history of the videogame industry is being written (or made? or changed?).

2012 will be remembered as the year that the traditional funding model was challenged. But, as Dalkeith said, not only funding, but also the way the games are marketed and also made.

Lets see where this will lead us...

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

And today was a great day so far for Elite KS.

There were other days with good funding - pre the 25th - but today has a much more solid base, as the money came mostly from a large number of pledges (new and upgrades), not from a few high level one (e.g. writers pledge) that can be trolls/witdrawn with great impact before the end.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Elite KS is probably the comment recordist. Some trolls aroud - guess I'll play the innocent for a while 😀

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

3 days to go, just 20'000 backers and about £85k are missing.

Over the last 10 days the average amount was about £30k per day which is slightly above the required amount per day until the end of the fundraising period.

untitl13.png

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

Probably alot waiting too see if this is close to success before pledgeing.

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

It is funded now 😉

ReplyQuote
Dalkeith
(@dalkeith)
Senior Chief Registered

Don't know what happened today - after ticking over with just pretty much a heart beat - it closed to the finish in a day.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Don't know what happened today

Really?

It's the ol' Breadbin's birthday!

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Really?