Notifications
Clear all

Fuel.

Page 2 / 3

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I also think that the strength of the the local gravity field should affect one's ability to jump. When you enter a system the star's gravity would terminate your hyperspace tunnel at a distance related to its mass, and for intra-system jumps the mass of a planet would do the same thing. One should have to climb out of a gravity well a bit before a jump could occur. Jumping out of a gravity well should be possible at a much closer distance to it than where you end up when you jump into it.

ReplyQuote
Uruboros
(@uruboros)
Senior Chief Registered

OK Marcel. mi piace questo. quindi anche le navi potrebbero generare un campo magnetico di disturbo. per i salti interplanetari, esiste il film "jumper". simpatico film su come utilizzare le tecniche di fuga /inseguimento. per quanto riguarda i consumi.... non ho molto da dire, mi piace. l'indicatore forse è troppo grande. in frontier esistevano delle piccole luci sulla destra dello scanner. Io in frontier non badavo a spese per il carburante, però in pioneer è diverso, per come sono le cose ora, vedo che il tonnellaggio lordo è importante.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Brianetta wrote:
I filled an Adder up with water and took off. Reached C with 9t to spare in the hold. So there you have it, there's no ship unable to reach the speed of light.

So, the Adder could (in theory) reach Epsilon Eridani in about a decade... but wouldn't be able to slow down when it got there!

Five years deccelerating, perhaps?

It can be firstly done by lowering solar sails... and then retrothruster in the middle of the travel , Another thing proving that science wants to give the monopoly of space to the Navy... and let Air force as local police 😀

Greetings.

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered

Brianetta wrote:

See, that would be believable if we had a really good idea of what minimum velocity meant. When you start the game, you're already travelling at 30km/s relative to the system, and you're parked on a pad.

I think it would make sense if it was the velocity in relation to your target system. in order to make things not too complicated this should be the same speed that your ship has in relation to the barycenter of the system you are currently in. So why not profit by these 30km/s? keep it simple

i think this is the most practical approach since pioneer does not simulate a "real" seemless galaxy.

however, would be nice if it was necessary to point your ship into the right direction... should be possible though to get the right angle from the galaxy map, or is this too complicated to realise?

regarding the minimum velocity itself: i would make a function dependent of 3 variables:

1: "accumulated total mass of all celestial bodys within your current system"

2: "ship's distance to barycenter"

3: "certain factor for tweaking/balancing"

just my thoughts on it..? 🙂

greetings

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

We were talking about jumps within the same system. Interstellar jumps aren't a problem.

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered

ah sh*t. should've read the whole story - never mind 😆

ReplyQuote
cliveindy
(@cliveindy)
Crewman Registered

cliveindy

If you jump inside a system the gravity well of the main body would affect the results, in the same way as jumping into the system from another star system.

How about some form of interplanetary drive booster with x2? x4? acceleration, it would use huge amounts of fuel, and an advanced autopilot to overtake a ship and match speed. It could do damage to your hull using it as well.

You would find and track the ship by analysing its sub atomic particle trail with a "Quantum string analyser".

Oh, one other thought, why would pirates want to destroy a ship. The ship is a high value item, they would disable it, forcing the crew to abandon-ship and then make off with it .That would require some new types of weapons.

Sorry just brain storming.

bad habit.

regards cliveindy

ReplyQuote
Azimech
(@azimech)
Senior Chief Registered

Brianetta wrote:
There is one tank. It is internal. It does affect performance - and empty tank is lighter than a full one.

External tanks should probably arrive at the same time in the future as external cargo pods. If ever.

External pods ... wonderful idea! I feel they should be expensive and easy to damage in combat.

ReplyQuote
Azimech
(@azimech)
Senior Chief Registered

Gudadantza wrote:
And I consider jumps should have safety rules too.

For example. Jump not available into gravitational field of n object, Jump is available from a safe distance from a ship or station, The ship must have a minimum velocity to jump etc....

Excuse should be the electromagnetic turbulence, etc...

And the reason should be limit the abuse or extreme use of jumps to do everything.

Greetings.

With those kind of rules you might be able to make a multiplayer game out of Pioneer. Yes I know, will not happen.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

The pirates' motive is your cargo. They kill you, they scoop your cargo out of space. So your ship cost a lot of money; why should they care? They didn't pay for it.

ReplyQuote
cliveindy
(@cliveindy)
Crewman Registered

cliveindy

Good point. That capturing, to complex for the lone pilot.

It was just a few musings around the in system jumps. Which seems to me remove something of the space flight part of things.

I would have no problem flying out to the jump in point, to make a jump out of the system, same gravity well value and more opportunity for interception.

but that's me, other may find that long winded.

The more idea put forward the better and then something new may suddenly form in someone mind.

cliveindy

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  
cliveindy wrote:
That capturing, to complex for the lone pilot.

We should leave that to the X universe for now. (-:

ReplyQuote
Azimech
(@azimech)
Senior Chief Registered

Brianetta wrote:
The pirates' motive is your cargo. They kill you, they scoop your cargo out of space. So your ship cost a lot of money; why should they care? They didn't pay for it.

If I were a pirate I would primarily be interested in the ships' subsystems and materials. A ship would have large amounts of copper, gold, titanium, aluminium and probably some very exotic and very expensive alloys embedded in it's structures. Tow it home, melt the thing down and sell everything. After that I would take a look at the cargo.

(But maybe that's just the way my mind works. If I need a part for my car, I buy wreck of the same type, strip that one down and stash all the parts. Much cheaper.)

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

I think that for most things that benefit you there should be a payoff relative to its value. If you need to catch another ship up then there should some price to pay. Maybe that it first costs alot of money, then there may be a risk of malfuntion which could result in... something. Or you could receive "notoriety" just for owning such a device because it implies your intentions are bad. Also the value of the device would attract the attention of pirates. If you're needing to catch up with other ships fast then it begs the question why? Unlikely to be for a friendly chat is it? Perhaps such a device is only available on the black market. Finding a way to catch up another ship isn't the problem in my eyes, fitting it into the idea of Pioneer is key.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Azimech wrote:
If I were a pirate I would primarily be interested in the ships' subsystems and materials. A ship would have large amounts of copper, gold, titanium, aluminium and probably some very exotic and very expensive alloys embedded in it's structures. Tow it home, melt the thing down and sell everything. After that I would take a look at the cargo.

I don't know about melting a spaceship, but they might be indeed interested in capturing a good ship. However, ships cannot dock with each other in Pioneer (yet...) so it is out of the scope right now.

One feasible thing I would however like to see is pirates turning tail when they are doing badly. In way too many games attackers or pirates only care about killing you and not their own lives.

ReplyQuote
Uruboros
(@uruboros)
Senior Chief Registered

i pirati difendono i siti minerari. la presenza di pirati indica che da qualche parte nel sistema c'è una miniera molto fornita in metalli preziosi ..... può essere un ipotesi?

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

can't we have something more dirty?

perhaps a secretion of a baby cancer from "idontknow"

ok, water if you're really serious about that...

or what about multiple fueled, i like to burn my slaves in case of a accident 😈

efficiency could be bound to whatever rule, hydrogene would have simply a bad efficency, compared to water (i'm thinking about 1:3).

since most creatures are mainly water they could have the same value as water (a bit a expensive fuel).

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

You have a twisted mind. I like that. 😆

I think that most of the mass of a ton of slaves is the cryogenic container they are in because you don't need cargo bay life support to carry them.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

A tonne is a tonne. If you can fluidise it (preferably into a hot plasma) it doesn't really matter which atoms are present. It's just easier to store and pipe water around - it's already a dense fluid. Forcing the bodies of slaves through plumbing is not for the faint-hearted.

ReplyQuote
Uruboros
(@uruboros)
Senior Chief Registered

Brianetta wrote:
A tonne is a tonne. If you can fluidise it (preferably into a hot plasma) it doesn't really matter which atoms are present. It's just easier to store and pipe water around - it's already a dense fluid. Forcing the bodies of slaves through plumbing is not for the faint-hearted.

Quindi 1 t di pesce è uguale! costa meno! e fà meno male al cuore!

ReplyQuote
Uruboros
(@uruboros)
Senior Chief Registered

Brianetta wrote:

Quindi 1 t di pesce è uguale! costa meno! e fà meno male al cuore!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

immerhin ist er sehr konsequent

i guess i have to dig out my universal translator,

bruck_01.jpg

or start to learn 1200 languages (perfect, just like Karl May) 😆

there are obviously wrong things in this picture...

any ideas?

one is such offens that it could exist under no condition and shouldn't have happened to a artist like Johnny Bruck.

but was on the other hand a typical style of those days.

it has nothing to do with fuel, sorry.

but with conditions on planets which have a dense (breathable) atmosphere (you can see that by the bright blue sky).

it's not that this guy still wearing his helmet and has nothing to do with exoterrestrial lifeforms.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Does the choice of water as propellant is "politically incorrect"? 😯

I managed ASP 80.4G me with beer! 💡

Greetings. 😆

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Gernot: I'm guessing it's the unweathered craters on the ground. I'm going to come to the artist's defence here: Perhaps the turtlizard there made them, and they are actually going to be egg clutches.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

"your explanation is quite comprehensible"

[/hr]

http://www.archive.org/download/fjasban ... 16_vbr.m3u

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3