Notifications
Clear all

Help with playing pioneer on OS X

flyingfetus
(@flyingfetus)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everybody

Im having trouble compiling the new mac os x builds. When i say trouble, i mean i don't know what I'm doing at all. I've read Readme file with instructions to how to compile and such, but I'm completely lost. I do not have any experience with coding. On a side note i do have xcode installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Sorry for being such a noob)

Thanks

XB7
 XB7
(@xb7)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi Super,

Did you use MacPorts for importing the libraries?  The XCode project file that comes with the Pioneer source points to MacPorts directories for the libraries not already present in Xcode.  You'll also need to be sure you've installed the universal version of the required libraries noted in the COMPILING.txt file because the XCode project forces a 32 bit compilation.

An easy fix for this is to edit your file: /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf and remove the comment "#" on the line containing "+universal".  Next run "sudo port upgrade --force installed" to update installed libraries with their universal equivalents.

Some of the libraries in the XCode project might not exist on your system because MacPorts installed newer versions.  On your Project Navigator click on the arrow to the left of Pioneer to expand the contents.  Next expand Frameworks and SubLibraries.  There should only be three or four items in red.  Select each of the items in red and change their File Name under the Identity and Type to the versions you currently have on your system.

Also, the src groups are a bit outdated.  You'll need to right click on the yellow src folder under the previously expanded Pioneer folder in Project Navigator and delete it.  Next right click and select Add files to "Pioneer".  In the directory look up select your Pioneer/src directory.  Uncheck Copy Items into Destination and select Create groups for any added files.  Expand the newly created src group and delete win32.

Clean your project, rebuild it and post your errors here.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I do note you say "compiling the new mac os x builds". That suggests some confusion. The files available from http://pioneerspacesim.net/download are already built - you can just download them and run them (and if you can't, that might be a bug!). For building from source you need to go and get the source code.

If you're really trying to build from source then that can be tougher, and XB7's advice will be useful to you. But if you don't have any code experience then there's really no need to compile from source.

ReplyQuote
XB7
 XB7
(@xb7)
Petty Officer Registered

Yeah, I'd take Robn's advice.  It isn't for the faint of heart.  I'm still working through the process myself.

ReplyQuote
flyingfetus
(@flyingfetus)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick and helpfull responses everyone, I've downloaded the right one and im now playing again

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

🙁

any improvements on the mac build, though that poor my is able to play it without having to compile it?

erm, no

besides, no wonder i downloaded first the wrong (alpha33) build

[attachment=2253:Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-22 um 17.05.38.jpg]

[attachment=2254:Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-22 um 17.05.58.jpg]

a bit confusing, no?

---

@robn

no real "bug".

Last login: Sun Sep 22 1706 on ttys000

/Users/mecy/Downloads/pioneer-201309.48-osx/pioneer ; exit;

macbook-pro:~ mecy$ /Users/mecy/Downloads/pioneer-201309.48-osx/pioneer ; exit;

/Users/mecy/Downloads/pioneer-201309.48-osx/pioneer: line 11: ./pioneer.osx: Bad CPU type in executable

logout

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

PLEASE i need some help to get it working

started again a try to compile it myself, but i said my OS X is in a messed up condition, not my fault we bought it used.

actually Xcode refuses to install the needed libraries.

Last login: Mon Sep 23 0240 on ttys000

macbook-pro:~ mecy$ sudo port install assimp

Password:

Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.

---> Computing dependencies for assimpError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?

macbook-pro:~ mecy$

the "developer" folder is properly located, so i quite don't understand right now what's wrong

compiling a source on the mac seems to be a sort of mystery, it's damned uncomfortable to how it's done with MSVC.

also the incompatibility of OS's and processor type has cost me a ot of nerves in the past.

but i will give a s about that, if someone could help me with a (for me) working OS X release

i guess some will remember that i own this machine:

Modellname:    MacBook Pro

Modell-Identifizierung:    MacBookPro1,1

Prozessortyp:    Intel Core Duo

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit:    2 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren:    1

Gesamtzahl der Kerne:    2

L2-Cache:    2 MB

Speicher:    2 GB

Busgeschwindigkeit:    667 MHz

Boot-ROM-Version:    MBP11.0055.B08

SMC-Version (System):    1.2f10

Seriennummer (System):    SystemSerialNumb

Hardware-UUID:    00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB971E6F

with a (messed up as i feel): OS X 10.6.8

any help is welcome, (actually even a hammer to trash that rotten machine).

no, but someone might have a idea prob. what's wrong with it, i'm not sure, but as user account is "Karin Schrader" (my mom) registered.

but as you can see the terminal starts with a user "mecy", that could be common, i simply don't know since i still feel like a fish on the sand with the mac.

we have unfortunately no original software neither any documentation.

like i said once my mother bought it from a comrade of her.

besides we had for me working builds up to alpha33, any later won't run,

why this had to be changed is also a riddle to me.

but maybe like the last time i need someone else who will argue before something happens.

it seems i'm just not welcome or good enough or whatsoever.

just stupid f gernot, thx

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Gernot, I think it is very difficult to find an expert in Mac for the simple fact that Apple has always been a very expensive and closed.

You should try on some forum that system technician. I found this on Google, see if it's any: https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

And not 

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

sad, it didn't exists a exploding smiley.

yes i thought about such, but preferably i will choose a german forum before a english one,

it's still easier to follow a advice in your own language.

besides to find a solution could take some time and i fear it will lead in anyway to the conclusion that i need to reinstall the OS.

i would have done it already last year when i recognized that certain things aren't in a condition as they should be.

partwisely it has been fixed since then, last year i wasn't even able to install Xcode, now i'm one step further at least...

might would mean also that i have to upgrade to a newer OS since 10.6 is obsolate.

on the other hand it's my moms macbook and to receive and send e-mails or browse a little in the web it's still good enough.

thus i simply would be happy if one could compile it for me in the way it was done up to alpha33.

whatsoever, that i (we) own a mac with a i386 will be finally the reason for this incompatibility.

from my pov it would be better one could help me in this way, before i turn everything headover on the macbook,

even if that would workout well, it's still the last option to choose from.

all this will be anyway past if i have web at home, i own a PC and there everything runs fine

and compiling a source is only a few clicks away and won't cost me as much nerves as right now.

but actually the situation at home is even worse, i didn't even have power, yep they shut off power.

they can't even wait 30days (while some workers can easy wait 3months for their salary?) for the money and simply shut off power, after you have to pay a extra fee

(to the debt i payed already, but a little to late) to have it switched on.

no power, no telephone, no web (yes, your'e right the vegetables in the fridge start certainly to smell funny).

do i live in a "banana republic" (sorry)?

no, but in one of the most capitalistic countries of the world,

which companies a partwisely responsible for starving (starving? they simply die of thirst) ppl in the so called 3rd world.

and in fact i just wait until switzerland turned to greece,

the bill only hasn't written yet, but it will be written soon.

since i'm a craftsman i fear the actual situation more as the future,

i know that i could live from my work as long as there is need for buildings or clothes.

and i would live even better without "nestlé" or "UBS" i.e.

but fortunately they can't take my humor

ReplyQuote