Notifications
Clear all

how do you use a Fuel Scoop

DevinJAM
(@devinjam)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

hey i had to restart my game cause i ended up in a alliance area that is marked in white with a load of systems that are unexplored.      anyways this time around i plan on exploring the left of the map,  enjoy the Sol federation for a few first.

but now the question.  how do you use a fuel scoop, i got as close as i can to jupeter even trying to figure out how it works. but i honestly dont know the first thing on how to use it.  i have it on my ship, i would like to use it.

NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Warrant Officer Registered

I would start on a smaller Gas Giant first, Neptune or Uranus...

The instruments are a bit wonkly still, we're working on it... so bear with us 🙂

For the orbital data screen... hit F2 to bring up the navigation menu, then his F6 to switch to the the orbit data sub-screen, use the + and - at the top right to zoom the view (hold shift to zoom faster) and click to center on whatever celestial body you are nearest to... right click and drag to rotate the view around. When you get the view close enough, your position will be displayed by a small red square, and your projected course will show as a red line / arc / ellipse... again, it's wonky... but it works and is getting better 🙂

OK, now get into a low orbit around the Gas Giant and start decelerating, face straight ahead and use reverse thrust in bursts, checking the orbit data screen regularly so you can see the trajectory curve downwards until it touches the surface. When your speed is low enough that you will just barely crash into the planet, relax and speed up time until you are almost there (wait for the horizon to go almost flat, but not quite) and then... I guess just wing it, keep an eye on all the numbers and check the orbital data regularly... the atmospheres are still pretty squashed and you will only have a couple vertical kilometres to manuver in. The scoop will engage automatically if you are facing forward and flying fast enough in dense enough atmo... basically just engage the main drive and go like hell 😉

Once the hold is full you can (hopefully!) either climb back to orbit or (for now, hyperdrive is subject to change) jump from where you are 🙂

Ps. When you start the descent from low orbit, start it from the dark side of the planet so you reach the surface o nthe day side...

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

A helpful thing: in manual flight mode, if you press F2 while holding any thruster key, the game will consider you are still thrusting, so you can see your orbit changing, and if you press F1 anytime, it will cut your engines. Useful for adjusting you trajectory.

ReplyQuote
DevinJAM
(@devinjam)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

my f keys dont work. i have a hp laptop and for whaever reason i get like the hp help menu, for f1 f2 is to dim the light on the screen etc etc.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Try holding the [fn] too, usually that works on laptops. Or you can use the mouse.

There should be some settings to switch them to proper f function and access the brightness and such with the [fn] key. Personally I hate when manufacturers do this.

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

Can I use fuel scoop to scoop fuel for military hyperdrive?

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Warrant Officer Registered

No, military drives use special fuel and leave radioactive waste behind, you can join the Pilot's Fuel Cooperative under the BBS on most (all?) cities and stations to get a discount but there is no way to resupply in the field with a military drive.

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

Thank you for answer 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cosm1cGam3r
(@cosm1cgam3r)
Petty Officer Registered

I would start on a smaller Gas Giant first, Neptune or Uranus...

The instruments are a bit wonkly still, we're working on it... so bear with us 🙂

For the orbital data screen... hit F2 to bring up the navigation menu, then his F6 to switch to the the orbit data sub-screen, use the + and - at the top right to zoom the view (hold shift to zoom faster) and click to center on whatever celestial body you are nearest to... right click and drag to rotate the view around. When you get the view close enough, your position will be displayed by a small red square, and your projected course will show as a red line / arc / ellipse... again, it's wonky... but it works and is getting better 🙂

OK, now get into a low orbit around the Gas Giant and start decelerating, face straight ahead and use reverse thrust in bursts, checking the orbit data screen regularly so you can see the trajectory curve downwards until it touches the surface. When your speed is low enough that you will just barely crash into the planet, relax and speed up time until you are almost there (wait for the horizon to go almost flat, but not quite) and then... I guess just wing it, keep an eye on all the numbers and check the orbital data regularly... the atmospheres are still pretty squashed and you will only have a couple vertical kilometres to manuver in. The scoop will engage automatically if you are facing forward and flying fast enough in dense enough atmo... basically just engage the main drive and go like hell 😉

Once the hold is full you can (hopefully!) either climb back to orbit or (for now, hyperdrive is subject to change) jump from where you are 🙂

Ps. When you start the descent from low orbit, start it from the dark side of the planet so you reach the surface o nthe day side...

I wonder (I didnt try it with scoping equipment) if the same result would be of scoping fuel just by landing on gas giant xD

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

No you have to be travelling fast enough, at high speed, for the fuel scoop to work 🙂

ReplyQuote