Ray
(@ray)
Petty Officer Registered

Done !

Thanks for watching everyone 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Nice! 🙂

For me, it's not important to be credited, but if you care, the nickname is enough.

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

Nice work. But somehow, compared to the old video

the new promo video doesn't capture and reproduce the atmosphere and spirit of the game imo. At least it doesn't make me want to install the game.

IMO the promo video is way too short. Fighting is probably not the central aspect of the game (it is most likely exploration) and as such the promo video shouldn't start with the sequence related to fighting. Moreover fighting scenes aren't that impressive because of the realism put in Pioneer (e.g. pixel-sized enemy ships due to the distance). The trading sequence looks more like a sequence related to exploration and doesn't even show a single trading screen. Finally I would like to see much more on exploration (currently only 12 seconds, i.e. 20% of the total video length) as well as on the many other features of the game not shown here (maps, ships, cities, specific missions, etc).

Sorry if this feedback sounds a bit harsh and I don't want to offend anyone. I'm just providing here my "end-user" feedback, and I wouldn't be able to create such a nice video myself.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Maybe a longer, slower and more descriptive video could be better. I was expecting more slow sequences of explorations and some view of the interface. Mainly because exploring is the thing that I do most and, at the moment, I don't see Pioneer as a fast paced space combat simulation... I feel it more contemplative like Tarkovskij's Solaris or Stalker with their minutes long cuts, than Star Wars or even Babylon 5. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Petty Officer Registered

Exploration is my favorite part of any game 🙂 and it would be great to make video just on the exploration, but no way it will fit to 1 minute and, being long, it most probably will not look like a promo video - mostly like in-game footage. Anyway for slow-paced scenes some content have to be re-filmed without camera shakes / jumps.

I understand all your points, but you can't fit 3 hours in 60 seconds 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I know that, often, I keep over-correcting my trajectories 😀 I tried to be as smooth as possible when piloting with the keyboard (by keeping the shift key pressed, to attenuate the rolling dampers), but with the camera movements I couldn't do much.

Anyway, if you want me to re-record some scene that you liked, but were too shaky, just ask me. I could use an analog joystick that maybe would allow me to turn more "softly".

ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Petty Officer Registered

Anyway, if you want me to re-record some scene that you liked, but were too shaky, just ask me. I could use an analog joystick that maybe would allow me to turn more "softly".

Well, according to quantity of feedback / comments, promo-video isn't something what Pioneer really needs...

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I don't know. The users of this board are people who alredy know pioneer, so their interest in a promo video is relative.

A promo video is aimed at people that doesn't alredy know pioneer. 😉

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Read the first post. Promo video is one of the requirements to get us onto Desura. Of course, it doesn't have to be good, but if we're going to do something might as well do it right.

ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Petty Officer Registered

Read the first post. Promo video is one of the requirements to get us onto Desura. Of course, it doesn't have to be good, but if we're going to do something might as well do it right.

I know that.

Anyway, not a problem, thanks for watching 🙂

ReplyQuote
flyingfetus
(@flyingfetus)
Petty Officer Registered

Im making my own trailer just for fun, would it be okay if i used some music from a guy named Jonn Serrie, or should i just stick to the core game music?

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

How that guy's music licenced?

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

It's taken my poor iMac 2007 4 days and 150gb of space. But I now have all the recorded rushes in Apple Pro-Res HQ. Which means I can start cutting in FCP. 

I'm directing a 4 minute video next Monday due on Friday... But THEN I get x2 glorious weeks of holidays (some of which I'll spend with my wife and daughter)

the promo I promised months ago is coming. 

Can someone upload the Pioneer logo as an .EPS or Adobe Illustrator file for me please in the interim so I can use it for the packshot resolve.

my continued apologies for the lengthy delay - getting the vids into a workable edit format took longer and more drive space than I had anticipated and work got busier than I #life gets in the way

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

You can find it in the Github repository in svg format. I think Final Cut might be able to import it, but if not, you can convert it with Illustrator. Or with Inkscape, you can export it to pdf, and since .ai files are practically pdf's, so you just need to change the file extension to ai and you should be set (this method worked between Inkscape and ToonBoom for me).

We are using Orbiteer and Titillium fonts mostly for in-game texts and stuff, if that helps. You can find the former in the game's font directory, and the whole Titillium family on their official page.

Enjoy your holiday!

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

You can find [Orbiteer] in the game's font directory

Orbiteer is our local modification of another font, Orbitron:

http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Orbitron

We added a few missing non-Latin1 glyphs to better support translations. But the website, for example, uses Orbitron directly.

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

Great stuff. Will download the font and yep .SVG goes straight into AI.

ReplyQuote
flyingfetus
(@flyingfetus)
Petty Officer Registered

I made my own attempt at a video of pioneer, but it didn't turn out too well

I also forgot to add transitions to some parts, so it might be a bit choppy, and i couldn't get the ending to look right.

If you guys want me to take it off youtube, make it private etc, just notify me and il do it right away.

And also thanks Tichy for all the great clips you recorded.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I think it's nice! With some refinements it could be very good. 🙂

In the docking scene there's an Eagle LRF. This isn't an official ship anymore. It comes from Scout+ mod. Maybe it could be an occasion to say that the game is extendable with user made mods. 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@SuperNewTable

Don't knock your efforts, I really like it, some great shots in there!

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

Holidays! Yay. I've logged all of Tichy's video records tonight and I think there's some AMAZING shots in there to work with that will work very well to create an atmospheric trailer for this game... in particular your coverage of that eclipse event from multiple angles is just brilliant. And some of the classic shots like jupiter rising and space docking work very well.

I'll tinker away on an edit over the next week -- starting to think about music/

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

@ superNewtable

i have that when i try to read " private video " ...

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

Watch this full screen for full glory

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

Editor's Notes for 'Pioneer Trailer 01 - Eclipse'

That was a lot of fun to cut that together and thanks again first and foremost to the dev team for creating such a classy game - it really just keeps getting better and better. But also to Tichy for taking the time out to record so many minutes of game-play.  I've written up notes below for you to consider and to share my decision making process in creating this trailer.

Campaign Concept

I thought we could do a couple of trailers and treat them as a campaign, so that's what I've started with. The thought being that you'd do a couple of trailers that sell in the atmosphere of the game and illicit emotion from your audience - and then follow this up with a third trailer that is more of a straight sell. This is a common practice for marketing/broadcast promotions (which I do as my day job). You do what's known as an 'image spot' (which this first trailer would be) and then follow it up with a 'retail' spot...  I think the scope of the game is large enough for another atmospheric trailer and then the retail could 'laundry list' what you can do in the game (which I suspect is perhaps what SuperNewtable was doing? Can't see cause it's private) 

Creative Approach to 'Eclipse'

The footage Tichy captured of that eclipse event is astounding - it's in game!!!! So amazing, so I really wanted to create a trailer that put front and centre the celestial beauty that is to be found in every corner of the Pioneer galaxy. Knowing that was my starting point I focussed around exploring different aspects of light and dark within the game - starting in the shadows before drinking in the glory of star-rise and coming fully into the light, before descending again into the eclipse.  Making use of the many angles of this cosmic event set to grandiose music and the having a fast burst of HUD footage to drive home its a game. That's where my head was at. 

Cinescope/2.35:1 Aspect Ratio Cropping

With the non HUD stuff I made the call to further elevate the drama of it by cropping it to 2.35:1 aspect ratio - it's the language of film and people instantly recognise that framing shape... and to be honest: 2.35:1 aspect ratio  could make a monkey taking a dump look epic.

Wagner

I know there was a preference to use in-game music ... It's a bit too midi for a trailer. Sorry, it's great for game... but  you really want to use the music to create the atmosphere and drive the emotion/excitement..  I spent a bit of time auditioning different pieces of music but once I'd settled on the eclipse theme for this first trailer, the darkness and then the austerity of Seigfried's Death just worked so well. It's got the same vibe as Zarathustra but doesn't say 2001! 

Tampering with the In-Game Footage

Apart from cropping the non-hud footage I did very little to the footage - I graded it a bit lifting the colours up (the dark in this game is very dark) but that's pretty much it. Except for that star-rise shot (23secs) - I added a lens-flare to that particular shot just to sell the star-rise a bit more strongly. I also went through and blacked out the little white pixels that popped in and out as a bug with that shot. Oh and I removed a yellow star in the red planet towards the front of the trailer so that the star-rise was the first blast of light we see as the full orchestra kicks in... I can remove the lens-flare if you feel strongly about it but I think it holds true to: "should show the game, but not necessarily be the game" . 

Any HUD footage is just left as is.

Shot Replacements

The shot orbiting Europa is a great shot with the red glow on the horizon but the textures pop in... Is there a way to get this shot again where the textures won't pop?

The closing shot of the ringed planet is a bit wonky-- what I like about it is zooming up to it-- but then it just goes a bit wonky (I think it's the autopilot).. it'd be nice to zoom up and then just pan slowly with the ringed planet in the frame if that makes sense. Or something like that.

That's all I can think of for now

I hope you like it. There's scope for improvement here - and of course this is a first pass, so we can improve it - or keep this one with minor tweaks and do another one. 

thanks again for a great game and also to tichy for recording the game play. 

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I fucking love that 😀

ReplyQuote
Helioth
(@helioth)
Petty Officer Registered

Wow.

Congrats.

*Wonderful* scenes in that promo video, very nice transitions synchronized with the music...

Now that makes me want to install and play the game...

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5