Clear all

Logo art for Pioneer

Page 1 / 2

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I want to start making some marketing material for Pioneer - stickers, mugs, that's sort of thing. I also need a logo that I can use for icons, the website, and so on. Thus begins what I hope will be the epic logo art thread.

I made a little poll with a few things that might represent the "look" of Pioneer. In reality these are all probably too close to Frontier/FFE to be usable, but maybe they'll stimulate discussion.

If you're a handy artist, I'd love to see ideas or mockups. If there's many strong examples then we could hold a vote or something. If not, I'll have a crack at something myself.

Discuss!

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Woohoo! My vote currently accounts for 100% ๐Ÿ˜€

I think this is a good idea, but that we need to get a little away from Frontier/FFE for Logos etc. It's clearly been an "influence" ๐Ÿ˜† which people will realise, but when it comes to merchandising and branding I think we need to be very distinct and independent.

Makes me wish I had some artist talent lying beneath this cold heartless coder exterior!

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
fluffyfreak wrote:
I think this is a good idea, but that we need to get a little away from Frontier/FFE for Logos etc. It's clearly been an "influence" ๐Ÿ˜† which people will realise, but when it comes to merchandising and branding I think we need to be very distinct and independent.

Agree completely. That was just there to try to get some discussion going.

To be honest, I can't think of any visual in Pioneer that is memorable and unique to the game, which is a problem. Personally I love Vlastan's style, and if we had the Skywalker ship already it would have got my vote. Alas ๐Ÿ™‚

If I'm doing the art then I'd want to start with an in-game visual, because I can't draw but can drive Photoshop. I'm hoping though that someone else here has art skills and can do something useful.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

robn wrote:
To be honest, I can't think of any visual in Pioneer that is memorable and unique to the game, which is a problem.

I should finish up the Orbital code, it's bloody tricky stuff though, even then people would just think of Halo ๐Ÿ˜†

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Hoop station in orbit, font is Titillium like in-game

oOFHc.png

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Luomu wrote:
Hoop station in orbit, font is Titillium like in-game

oOFHc.png

That, I LOVE that image! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Totally awesome.

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered

Now that i am operative again (removed my damaged ram module... feeling a bit slow now) i've just read this thread and i tought to make an attempt at making a Pioneer logo.

So here is the first try: (they are fully transparent pngs)

Preview.png

previewminmal.png

High resolution:

Color.png

minimal.png

As you can see i used a minimalistic style (i prefer to make logos that way)

ReplyQuote
UncleBob
(@unclebob)
Master Chief Registered

As much as I would love to see my Lanner getting a representative position, I think Pioneer should have a logo that is not any derivative of the Elite franchise. Saves you and your lawyers lots of headaches (in the causality-shattering event that Braben decides to make an Elite IV after all...)

I don't know how the lanner ended up with the honour of being the "flag-ship" anyways. According to the FFE manual, it's supposed to be one of the uggliest ships out there... ๐Ÿ˜•

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well I always liked it Uncle Bob. I always thought the Imperial Explorer, Wyvern or Mantis were the uglies in that game. Even the poor old Skeet was better! ๐Ÿ˜†

But what the hell was a silly piston thing about ๐Ÿ˜• http://www.energymech.net/users/proton/ffe/ships.html

Still, at least they all look much better in FFE3D and Pioneer ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Also, nice work Vlastan ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

I voted for 'something else' and I mean that nice thing representing Pioneer would be our Galaxy. Why? Just because Pioneer is soooo huge and enables you to move freely within.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Here is something different, a mission badge, not quite fit for a logo but put it on a coffee mug or something ๐Ÿ˜‰

sever.png

A Lanner, classic spiky star and the pea soup coloured planet could be New Hope

Here is the .svg if you want to remix it

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

Damn, man... it's awesome!

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Here is something different, a mission badge,

YES!

Man if I had a flightsuit, I would want that on it ๐Ÿ˜‰

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered

I like to think of pioneer as being a 'space adventure game' rather than a space simulator. I think a logo shouldn't say "pioneer space simulator" because people will think it is going to be as dull as microsoft flight simulator or something. Space is awesome and people should expect to have adventures in it

my 2c

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I'm pretty much sold on the badge concept there - I really really like that. It has a great retro feel as well.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Love the badge concept!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I love the badge too, it really has that old style NASA coolness about it, compare it to these real life NASA classics

ReplyQuote
SeanN
(@seann)
Petty Officer Registered

The badge is a great idea. There could also be different stylized ships for pilots who have their favorite craft.

ReplyQuote
Tweel
(@tweel)
Crewman Registered

Here are some attempts

ReplyQuote
CreepyStepdad
(@creepystepdad)
Petty Officer Registered

@Tweel:

That looks really slick and professional. Luomo's badge is also cool. I agree with the retro charm it has.

Is Pioneer supposed to feel retro? Perhaps a combination of the two, an iconic image of human spaceflight with a polished feel. Kudos to the creators, though.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I think there is room for both Luomu's badge and Tweel's artwork. The badge Luomo created could be used in a number of different ways, for example as am emblem of a Free Trade faction, while Tweel's artwork would make a pretty slick loading screen. ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I think it would be cool if someone would replace the mushroom squad sign on the rotating Lanner with Luomu's badge. Don't look at me, I haven't a clue. Ditto on the loading screen. 'Simulating evolution of the universe:' superimposed over Tweel's artwork would look awesome. ๐Ÿ˜€

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

"space simulator" is not part of the name, by the way.

ReplyQuote
Tweel
(@tweel)
Crewman Registered

Thanks, I thought I read รƒโ€šร‚ยฐSpace Simulatorรƒโ€šร‚ยฐ somewhere. It would work better with a tagline (a different one perhaps) in my opinion though. Should anyone in charge want to use the logo I designed, they can ask whatever changes they might want and I'd fix it and send a hires version to them, no probs.

And thanks for the nice comments guys.

ReplyQuote
Tweel
(@tweel)
Crewman Registered

tomm wrote:
I like to think of pioneer as being a 'space adventure game' rather than a space simulator. I think a logo shouldn't say "pioneer space simulator" because people will think it is going to be as dull as microsoft flight simulator or something. Space is awesome and people should expect to have adventures in it

my 2c

I read it just now... What about "A Space Adventure"? I left the files in work and can't try now.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2