Clear all

Making of Pioneer OST

Page 1 / 2

Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi i'm Leonardo,

an independent music composer and i'd love to contribute in this fantastic project.

I am thinking to create an original musical score for the Pioneer game.

This is my first attempt at defining some of the first themes:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9437369/Skies.mp3

Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

That's a nice track.

I believe that s20dan is coordinating the music. You can help him by re-encoding it from your sources as an Ogg Vorbis file.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Hi Leonardo, thats a very good track 🙂

We would very much like to include it.

As Brianetta mentioned, all tracks are in .ogg format and we encode them at 96kbps. I've found thats about as low as you can go before noticable compression artifacts are heard and it keeps the file sizes nice and low. But none of that is set in stone, its just the current standard.

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered

Sounds good, could be a main menu song.

For the game and the exploration scenes i'd like to hear some slower and relaxed tunes, you can take some inspirations from the mass effect soundtrack, those are very simple but unique tracks that blends perfectly into a sci-fi game experience.

Keep up the good work!

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

My objective, is to partecipate actively in the project, composing a complete score, that anyone can enjoy while playing the game.

I will try to make the sound more appropriate, trying to get the right atmosphere it needs...

Thanks! 🙂

Here the music in ogg format:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9437369/Skies.ogg

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Here a new track for game, waiting for notification;

Enjoy it... 😉

Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9437369/Dwarf%2 ... 0water.ogg

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi Leonardo,

Another composer reporting in. I really like the water track. Looking forward to hearing more.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

I like these. I think that Skies would be really good for the opening menu scene, with the spinning spacecraft. Dwarf Planet under water is very mellow, perhaps ideal for dealing with characters and bulletin boards in a space port.

Any thoughts for a strong theme? Something that could be recognised out of context. "Ah, that's the music from Pioneer!"

ReplyQuote
emajogi
(@emajogi)
Petty Officer Registered

Something like this, you mean? 😎

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27128646/Pionee ... me%205.ogg

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

emajogi wrote:
Something like this, you mean? 😎

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27128646/Pionee ... me%205.ogg

Not really; that's so very derivative that any Frontier player would recognise it.

I was wondering whether Fremde might have had anything in the pipeline; I really like the style.

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered

I really like the new track (dwarf planet), that is more suitable for an exploration type of gameplay.

Good job!

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

We need a theme for game and more tracks for make it unique...

I have some ideas on this, but i will have need for much time;

I'm trying to compose other ambient music slow and caratteristic, i have some in work in progress, but as first action music, need to adapt on precedent style, so will see...

cheers! 😀

ReplyQuote
commodorejohn
(@commodorejohn)
Crewman Registered

Is there a particular style of music for Pioneer? I'm kind of interested in contributing, but I do a lot of weird, proggy '70s-throwback stuff - not sure how well it would fit. (The best examples I have on hand right now are the first, last, and middle tracks from this album.)

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Is there a particular style of music for Pioneer? I'm kind of interested in contributing, but I do a lot of weird, proggy '70s-throwback stuff - not sure how well it would fit.

Hi sorry about the tardy reply 😉 There is I suppose a style of ambient and classical, but to be honest I don't mind what we use as long as it sounds right 🙂

I'm listening to your track 4-Apartment3-GSynthOriginal.mp3 it really reminds me of an old computer game 🙂 I could actually see something like that for some very specific situational music, but we don't have much code in that regard yet.

There's certainly a place for different styles, after-all FFE had some varying styles of music all of which I quite liked 🙂

@ Fremde, I've finally gotten round to creating a branch with all the recent musical contributions, I have included yours 🙂 I really like the tracks!

ReplyQuote
commodorejohn
(@commodorejohn)
Crewman Registered

Hmm, fun. I might take a stab at doing some tracks for this, then - be a nice breather from my current music project.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I don't have anything pertinent to say about the music, except to say that I'm really enjoying all the music I've heard thus far. All of your stuff is good. Thanks, and please keep contributing! 😀

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks to s2odan for adding my music into game ;

I'm working to a new track and this is the first part...

i hope you will like it. Now i'll work on the sequel... 😛

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9437369/I%20cli ... t.%201.mp3

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered

This last track is very good, but i have some thoughts on it.

First, the track has some action packed sections. I think you should concentrate more on doing homogeneous tracks, (space, planet, combat, station).

The sounds are good, i like the synts and the beats, but i don't like the orchestral percussions very much, i think they are kinda out of place in a sci-fi game.

One last thing... the choir section at 02:22 is awesome, you should create a longer track with a similar athmosphere 😀

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Here a new track for game, hope can you like it; This is born as a idea for spaceport and for the take off of ship. For a correct use of it i can cut some parts of track and introduce it in game as single track with loop.

Take a look for pictures of Vlastan that have inspired me... 😀

Here the mp3 link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9437369/Dawn%20 ... arport.mp3

pioneer_cityscape_by_michelebotticelli-d4a092f.jpg

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

I like that a lot, good for docking and take off music, hope it gets addded

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

It is a nice track to listen to. I can imagine exploring deep space with that in the background.

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi to everyone, this is my last track for game, enjoy it... 😉

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9437369/ogg/Voyages.ogg

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

"Enjoy it" is something I just did. 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Fremde

That was beautiful. I must say you have done a damn fine job with not only that track but your others too! 😎

ReplyQuote
Fremde
(@fremde)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

the only reason of myself is discover ever new passions and make music; Thanks! 😀

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2