Notifications
Clear all

I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4

Modular Ships (.blend included)

Page 1 / 2

freegamer
(@freegamer)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

EDIT: 0.5 released:

http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/vehi ... yard-v0-5/

ximage.php,qwidth=475,aheight=300,acropratio=19,3A12,aimage=,hwww.blendswap.com,_wp-content,_uploads,_gravity_forms,_1,_2011,_04,_popup.jpg.pagespeed.ic.vhTkgVx-z1.jpg

Perhaps an idea for boosting the variety of ships in game:

- entry : http://opengameart.org/content/shipyard ... spaceships

- blend : http://opengameart.org/sites/default/fi ... yard.blend

shipyard04.jpeg

The above is constructed from a series of modules. Original source here:

http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/vehi ... yard-v0-4/

"A collection of spaceship components based on the cube. Layer one is your workspace, layer 2 has hull sections, layer 3 has smaller components, layer 4 has some smaller ships, and layer 5 has some greeble type things."

freegamer
(@freegamer)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Updated the post to indicate this is a suggestion based on an already implemented proof-of-concept, as opposed to just a whimsical idea.

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

Hmm they look pretty good! If I had experience modelling I'd have a go at churning some out. I'm sure somebody will have a go! 🙂 Trouble is they might be a bit high-poly for pioneer though..

ReplyQuote
Coolhand
(@coolhand)
Master Chief Registered

way too many polys in those models by the looks of it. however modular ships are a good idea.

ReplyQuote
Ross128
(@ross128)
Crewman Registered

Just my dream, but imagine how great could be a system of personalized and customed ships, im thinking of a game like Need For Speed Underground.

I loved to add "parts" to my cars, now imagine:

you have your bland and bare white new Imperial Courier MkIV, you go to the station, there is the usual menu:"New and refitted ships", but in the Bulletin board you can find some adverts from hackers, example:

"From Old Good Henry Frinasky, only best and guaranted parts for your ships, we have everythink you need"

you buy some Hull parts for your ship and even a new hacked engine, and you come out from the station with a totally new Imperial Courier, with even different colour and drawings.

The hackers can provide some hacked engines that according to the hacker' skills, can have for example from 2% to 10% or even 15% more power and hyperspace range than the standard engines, but they last less time, so you have to repair them more often.

as i sayd just innocent speculation, but since the game is in its early stage, i think they are allowed.

ReplyQuote
memnoch
(@memnoch)
Petty Officer Registered

As far as ship upgrades go the morf the better, as long as they don't mess up game balance.

Weapon mods, shield mods etc. A trade computer showing you the best deals within your jump radius. Improved thrusters to improve handling.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i will porouse it 😉

interesting site...

yeah, for pioneer dimensions more a flying station 😀

but, hm, i thought about how to realize my groundstation without having to use a extreme large texture for the highest LOD,

when i break the surface to sections and use textures from a pool i can gain some i guess, less close parts will use smaller textures then (it's a rather big groundstation 600x600m at least).

i guess the same can be done for a spaceship, instead of using a large one for all the model(s), use smaller for different sections of the model.

of course such a huge ship must use at least 2 or 3 LOD, that will help make it possible to implement it.

could be one looking nearly like a box(es) for the lowest LOD and textures that roughly reflect the body,

up to a certain size you can't tell no difference, allready that is worth 50%, to have a simple collision mesh then.

a second level detailed model would be of big advance for the ship, covering all "sizes" until you can see really some details. parts that appear only from a given LOD helps to (like antennas, weapons, greebles).

and if you additionally add the above idea, it should be possible to run the model fine in the game.

if we can use modules once, who knows, but i can see some useful ideas what to do with...

that's allready a fine model and polyuse is in a perfect range, it looks like far more, good work.

the dimension seems to be ~ 400x200x100 right?

it looks like i have to switch to blender 2.5

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

good idea wonder if they will go into game

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

a first maiden flight of the modular ship,

it's named by now Large Galactical Cruiser

basically only materials and a small texture to make it a bit less glossy.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

one to show the size

2011-02-09_023356.jpg2011-02-09_023442.jpg2011-02-09_023623.jpg 22724 tri's, less then expected

i guess it's ok if i upload the ship for the unpatiently ones

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

a good texture and maybe some more windows and or glowing parts would do the ship good.

is there a texture for the ship? i guess not...

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

Nice work potsmoke, that ship just looks full on awesome! I kind of like it without textures infact! Looks kind of anime (in a very good way) 🙂

Is it easy to make new ships with this modular method? Would be really cool if you could use it to crank out tons of new ships!

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Even more interesting would be to be able to do it in game. Buy the large cargo version, or one with more gun mounts, or whatever. I guess its kind of an extension of the equipment system, but a little different.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

yes, i thought about such to, it could have been made partwisely here.

cool would be if you could buy a module (i.e the stubwing part from the back) and restrict all others so you have to buy the first module to expand it to the full ship.

what could be done allready, is to show certain parts only when a specific equipment is purchased, or

let randomly select different setups for the ship, like once antennas left once rightside and so on.

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

You've really outdone yourself with that huge spaceship, Potsmoke. I just landed that thing on our moon. Best fun I've had this week. 😀

Beautiful ship to look at.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

that ship looks nice, could it carry a colony module for planting a player owned colony ?

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

Whoa! Thank you potsmoke, and thank you for that explanation, I'm having a blast checking your collection. If you ever plan to make an official mod for the game please let me know I might be able to do a banner for that. Btw, I've been checking that site and found some stuff that could be useful as well:

a futuristic female model:

http://opengameart.org/content/future-female

low poly male and female bodies:

http://opengameart.org/content/base-human-models-low-poly

A low poly pine model useful to fill planet earth:

http://opengameart.org/content/pine-lowpoly

Some ruins. Maybe you guys could add some lost ruins on a planet to investigate: 😛

http://opengameart.org/content/destroyed-walls-3d-models

and finally. A turret!: Maybe having turrets in top of some buildings for protection perhaps? 😆

http://opengameart.org/content/turret

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Potsmoke66, it just blows me away that you could convert that thing so quick! It makes me think of the different design philosophies that different factions might have in regards to ship design. We already have examples of Imperial ships, but nothing really for large Federation ships. This doesn't look like a Federation ship to me. Perhaps this type of design could be used for a third faction like the Alliance?

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

thanks, only experience, i'm converting models since 10 years (not for pioneer of course 😉 )

it's a rather easy task and a good way to learn from other modelers.

because you can open a model and may take a close look at it, but after you converted it, you get into it.

you can see what is done well and what not and learn a lot of it.

most **** is not grown on my own ground, like the explanation for the creases on the other thread.

i "looked" at some models and have seen that they have annoying wrinkles. where does they come from, what can i do to evade or correct that? how has this person build the model? what programs did he used?

one very important,

how can i reduce the polycount without messing the model up?

and i must say today everything is much easier, breaking up faces, intersections and so on, all can be done by pressing of a button. you need a tube, just draw a line or a curve, and the tube will follow it, it's cool!

sculpting with a brush, a fine thing, you can workout a model as if it's made from clay.

that lowpoly humans are quite good.

but i guess i use mine, rigging (setting up the verts for posing) will have to be done maybe, but on the other hand i don't need to move the pilots, maybe a bit to let them look less stiff.

i can say that i'm a bit proud of it, like all my arts it's done from imagination, i never use templates and i don't need a model to draw a human more or less realistic.

like the "angry cat", all done without looking at a cat actually.

th_angrycat_600.jpg

but watching them how they pose and act since childhood i guess.

the female pilot is about to be ready soon and i'ts neither a bad one, even if she looks still a bit male to me.

must have been because i used the male model to start from.

2011-02-10_110900.jpg

some evil creases are left, but i guess textured and in the size you can see it at all in the game, you won't recognize.

this two little "hills" have doubled the polycount 😆

the walls are cool, if we only had different city types... maybe one day.

---

to the female allways problem i have read somewhere here.

- the model viewer use a fixed reg. no (IR-L33T), so in the modelviewer, the selection is allways the same, except you would hack a different reg. no. into it (try " FLASH " for the ADC-44).

- random selection of male/female is a bit strange i know, it's seeded from the reg. no. and i recognized to that they come out female very often. to reach a better blend i would have to use more instances then just two.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
If you ever plan to make an official mod for the game please let me know I might be able to do a banner for that

like the star wars mod, hm...

i had plans to fit pioneer to the Perry Rhodan universe, pioneer will fit perfectly and allready a lot of my models are strongly inspired by it.

lookingfor_e4_02.jpg

unfortunately it is also copyrighted material, except i would change all to something new only close to it.

even more misfortune, the copyright holder of perry rhodan, decided to give never no more licenses for tv series or video games of it.

reason was the lame games mid 80's offered and the (nonetheless cult) 60's tv series, "Raumschiff Orion", which is basically like perry and was written by a leading author of perry rhodan. but it never succeeded in it's time, even when it's cult now (maybe poeple wasn't ready then for a tv series with a spaceship controlled by a iron (used for ironing), flashing bulbs that looked like turned over yoghurt cups, a navigation computer that looks like a big egg and is feeded by papertape). well perhaps we are all wrong and in each time sci-fi could only reflect the state of present technologies, who could have known in the 60's that we have PC's, small that they fit into a pocket and use a GUI to control the "elektronengehirn".

Quote:
"that was a real horror trip", "no, that's science-fiction"

i found a "Orion" model somewhere, well maybe i convert it, or maybe i do one similar out of my mind.

nowadays a Perry Rhodan space game could look quite different, respecting storyline and arts of the original in every bit.

ReplyQuote
memnoch
(@memnoch)
Petty Officer Registered

Taquito wrote:
and finally. A turret!: Maybe having turrets in top of some buildings for protection perhaps? 😆

I like that idea a lot. What springs to mind is one of those military bombing missions where you sweep in at low altitude. Imagine how much better it would be if you were being shot at on the way in! There could even be SAM sites dotted around it launching Naval missiles.

ReplyQuote
greyoxide
(@greyoxide)
Crewman Registered

Im glad to see that someone is making good use of my spaceship builder.

It looks like there is some difficulty when it comes to the number of polys for a ship. What would be the ideal facecount (quads) for a standard size ship?

Also are you guys interested in a similar spaceship builder for smaller ships, like fighters, shuttles, etc.?

I'm hoping to finish up the shipyard project soon and move onto the next ship builder. For the next one I am thinking I might focus on rounder sleeker shapes, but I am open to ideas.

what are you looking for when it comes to ship styles?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

memnoch wrote:
Taquito wrote:

I like that idea a lot. What springs to mind is one of those military bombing missions where you sweep in at low altitude. Imagine how much better it would be if you were being shot at on the way in! There could even be SAM sites dotted around it launching Naval missiles.

Same with starports and space stations - who leaves a space station sitting utterly defenseless? Those things should be able to cut you up.

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

robn wrote:
memnoch wrote:
Taquito wrote:

Same with starports and space stations - who leaves a space station sitting utterly defenseless? Those things should be able to cut you up.

LOL! This could also prove useful if the developer decides to create a story and or factions. The universe could be divided between them and using the turrets in defense against you if you're hostile to that certain faction.

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

greyoxide wrote:
Im glad to see that someone is making good use of my spaceship builder.

It looks like there is some difficulty when it comes to the number of polys for a ship. What would be the ideal facecount (quads) for a standard size ship?

Also are you guys interested in a similar spaceship builder for smaller ships, like fighters, shuttles, etc.?

I'm hoping to finish up the shipyard project soon and move onto the next ship builder. For the next one I am thinking I might focus on rounder sleeker shapes, but I am open to ideas.

what are you looking for when it comes to ship styles?

I can't wait to see some of your models. 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2