Notifications
Clear all

Mouse control

sapog662
(@sapog662)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I want to offer the mode in which the ship is managed without a mouse-click. Speed is controlled wheel rotation.

NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Warrant Officer Registered

As far as mouse controlls for attitude, yes please! If there's an easy way to do it a way to use the mouse to move the camera in external and sidereal views would be great, too!

I think the wheel would be more useful for other things, myself... but I don't actually use one, so my opinion isn't worth much. Trackball Power!! 😉 A major irritation of mine is when developers assume there is a scroll wheel and tie certain functions to ONLY be able to use the scrollwheel. It's usually something relatively minor (in game web page scrolling in GTA 4, scope and camera zooming in Far Cry 3, etc) and generally the worst in console games.

That said, having the mousewheel available to bind just like any other controll would only be a good thing!

ReplyQuote
sapog662
(@sapog662)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Sorry for bad English. I had in mind controlling the movement of the mouse. But, do not press continuously the button.

ReplyQuote
XB7
 XB7
(@xb7)
Petty Officer Registered

Sorry for bad English. I had in mind controlling the movement of the mouse. But, do not press continuously the button.

I have the same question myself.  Oolite has a nifty option that allows you to toggle mouse control of the ship.  Shift-M allows the mouse's axis to pitch and roll the ship. 

Sometimes I just want to tool around for half an hour without dragging out a joystick.  I really like the way X3 handles their mouse control of the ship - there, right-click and dragging controls the nose of the ship while left-click is payload.  I'm not sure if something like that would be possible in Pioneer though?

ReplyQuote
XB7
 XB7
(@xb7)
Petty Officer Registered

I really like the way X3 handles their mouse control of the ship - there, right-click and dragging controls the nose of the ship while left-click is payload.

LOL, wow.  I spoke too late.   I guess it's been a while since I've messed around with this project.  Pioneer steers with the mouse exactly the same way X3 does.  Very cool!

ReplyQuote
pazuzu
(@pazuzu)
Petty Officer Registered

I'd really like to see implemented a mouse control similar to freelancer, where you don't "drag" the ship's nose, but the more you move the cursor away from a center position, the more it turns hard. I seem to recall Vegastrike offered both, one was called mouse warping, the other mouse gliding, but I can't remember which is which...

It may be  confusing in the actual combat model, because (especially if you played freelancer) you expect the laser to fire to the pointer, instead you have to look at the reticule in-line with ship axis, but if turrets can be implemented in future release, it's going to rock (imho)

let's get ahead of ourselves, maybe two kinds of turrets? one that autotracks the enemy (expensive), the other that is aimed by the mouse (cheaper)? 

ReplyQuote