Notifications
Clear all

New Release! (2022-02-03)

impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  
True to tradition, today we unleash a new release unto the world!

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/releases/tag/20220203

Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

Cool - I was looking forward to this - and the new Xylophis has real charm 😆

One question; Is there a (relatively) easy way to 'transfer' the logbook entries of an old save to a new one? The question may seem silly, but the 'story' I've been spinning around my character for the past year.... well, it would be cool if I could continue it despite the new savegame 🙂

But either way... looking forward to the new additions! Thanks to all the volunteers who provide new fodder for us year after year 👍 

ReplyQuote
aki
 aki
(@aki)
Petty Officer Registered

Nice!
This sure does look like ImGui! Oh,

list(APPEND pioneerLibs
	imgui
)

I guess that's why. How are you liking it?

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

@crux_72 Sadly, no. But would perhaps be something for a importer tool for starting a new game from an old (incompatible) version, that one developer has worked on.

@aki imgui is very nice to work with, the best UI system we've had so far.

https://pioneerwiki.com/wiki/GUI_introduction#Background_history

ReplyQuote
Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

Posted by: @impaktor

@crux_72 Sadly, no. But would perhaps be something for a importer tool for starting a new game from an old (incompatible) version, that one developer has worked on.

Okay, that's a shame, of course, but not a big problem. I just didn't think that my game save would become inoperable with this update, but I can easily restore my pre-update state 🙂 

Is there actually a way to reload the equipment lib. into an existing game save? My experience so far is that the library files are loaded when a new game is created and subsequent changes then no longer have any influence?

This post was modified 2 years ago by Crux 72

ReplyQuote
Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

NEW COCKPITS

Okay, they look really great 😀 ! If you need someone to test the Xylophis cockpit before you release it, I'm here 😊!

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Thanks! Here they are packaged as a mod.

(Put it in Documents/Pioneer/Mods)

ReplyQuote
Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

@nozmajner 

Thx 🙂 !

Anything else I should be aware of? The cockpit is not loading for me (not even when I start a new game). The 'Exp.CP' option only loads the 'old' one.

Am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Odd, it should load, and the output.txt says it does, but the same happens here.

I've modified the uploaded zip a bit, you could download and unpack it into your Pioneer/data, overwriting the existing files.

ReplyQuote
Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

Posted by: @nozmajner

I've modified the uploaded zip a bit, you could download and unpack it into your Pioneer/data, overwriting the existing files.

That's how it worked now, thank you.

Overall impression

The cockpit model is amazing. You can tell that it was designed in harmony with the ship model and the attention to detail is impressive - you really have the feeling of 'sitting in the depicted ship', this achievement is not self-evident, hats off. And if you do what you've hinted at, namely that some of the buttons and screens actually will have a function, then this will be another unique feature that is second to none.

Technical

During the game I could not notice any problems with the game itself or the performance.

Bug(s)

Two things struck me:

Firstly, when the time is set to 'pause' and you look around the cockpit (middle mouse button), the view remains 'fixed' to the front. This corrects itself when you let the time run again.

Secondly, when you leave an area and enter a new one (e.g. enter the space area or the area of influence of a space station), the cockpit gives a 'jerk' as if it were realigning itself.

I checked and noticed that both were already the case with the experimental cockpit. However, the new ones are much more 'present', which is why the second point in particular is all the more noticeable.

Summary

The new cockpit design makes an incredible difference (immersion related) and is a real win to the game and it's "simulator approach". However, as it is very present, some adjustments in the GUI will be necessary to maintain readability. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe the different elements would have to be adapted individually to the cockpits.

Suggestion for first aid;

Put the elements of the existing GUI on a slightly dimmed background to better distinguish them from the cockpit. This would be very helpful, especially in brighter environments.

PS: I keep the cockpit, I don't know how I ever enjoyed Pioneer without it 🤩.

EDIT:

And one more small thing on the subject of 'attention to detail'; in the Xylophis, the player sits on the right-hand seat, but in the exterior view on the left-hand side. Just a 'nerdy' detail 😊 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Crux 72

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Thanks! 🙂

I noticed the paused cockpit rotation a couple of weeks ago while I was testing the new default cockpit. It is reported as well.

That jerk happens when you switch to/from the rotating frame, which happens at a certain altitude. Don't know if it is already reported, but it is a long-standing issue. Don't know how complex it is to fix it.

The readablility problem I did not yet ran into, but that doesn't mean much. Likely I haven't yet flew away from a sun.
Moving most of the data to the screens would alleviate that, and it is planned, but I can't give any ETA for that apart from the costumary "don't hold your breath".

The next release will fix the person sitting on the other side of the ship, it is already fixed on master. 🙂 Especially since the camera point is on their face as well, so the cockpit won't line up with the ship that way. I thought I will keep the pilot on the left, as a little hidden funny detail, but then I changed my mind while fixing the camera tag.

ReplyQuote