(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

why should i?

Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
Pioneer is a open source clone of Frontier (Elite2).

That's not the official line at all. Pioneer is a space adventure game which has been inspired by Frontier. In fact, Tomm puts it no higher than, "Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2."

Remember, if this game gets popular, its license allows people to put it in a box and sell it in shops for profit. That might cause Frontier Developments to sit up and look at it, in case it contains any of their IP. Calling it a clone of Frontier might (quite falsely) indicate that it uses some of Frontier Developments' code. Remember, it's not who's right, it's who can be proved right in court. By avoiding declarative statements associating Pioneer with Frontier, we don't give the wrong picture.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

"tüpflischiesser" we would say...

but your'e right! thanks for the wink. πŸ˜‰

suggestion,

i guess it's time to close out the Frontier spaceships from a standard Pioneer set, many of my scripted models are more or less simple translations (vectors are 1:1), i know Frontier dev. feels comfortable with that, so far...

but to avoid future complications it would be a good idea to place them into "mods" folder as it was done in the very first alphas with the cobra mk3.

that means we need a new starting ship instead of the Eagle, i would suggest the "Talon" or the "Rapier".

i would appreciate it, if it came without a autopilot by default, this would leave the possibility to earn it with a piloting licence.

i know i will "loose" a lot of my ships due to that, πŸ˜₯ but i didn't mind.

for ships like the "Lanner" or the "Courier", i'm not to shure about, but both are in one or another way only build after a template or from scratch (Courier, Lynx, Cobra1 are build on base of screenshots), but why not place all Frontier ships into a separate "mods" folder.

some have kept only their Name, like the "Boa" or the "Panther".

question,

is it possible to disable all textures? wouldn't that speed up pioneer on lower end machines?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Mmmm, yes Brianetta is right. We dont want the game to get hung up in legal hassles if Frontier object to any of the content. I like the "sneaking resemblance" description. It's close enough, without being.............um,.....too close. πŸ™‚

But please Gernot, dont remove your lovely ships! I have them backed up just in case πŸ˜‰ Yes they are similar to the ones from the original games, but you built them from the ground up and took the concept of the designs further and in all honesty you have done no worse that a legion of mod makers out there adding Star Trek or Star Wars ships to their projects. It's homage rather than copyright theft. I am sure Mr Braben would understand and besides it's not like he has anything "Elite" related in the market at the moment, mores the pity πŸ™ By all means it would be great to see new and original models too, something that gives pioneer it's own identity.

Anyways, now that is out of the way, back on topic. What we really need is someone that is good at writing manuals (possibly in PDF format, certainly in txt format) to write (at first) a guide. Oolite has a great little guide for a new pilot if you need an example.

Things like ship specs and equipment, flight training, weapon usage, trading routes (to get you started) and so on.

Later, (possibly with hints to missions within the game) stories to flesh out the Pioneer universe. Naming some of the star systems gave me the opportunity to purposefully give names that might encourage people to write missions (and stories), LV426, Tannhauser Gate, Dark's Haven anyone? πŸ™„ ANYONE???? Hello is this thing on?............ πŸ˜†

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

occasionally it's on πŸ˜‰

been off due to some electrical and meteor whatever showers.

no i didn't want them to be removed completely, only moved to mods like the cobra3, so it's clear to see the're a part of some mod and not "standard Pioneer".

in the end they will appear in the same way as they allready do. this is mainly for the scripted models because they are so close, if i would have build them from scratch i wouldn't see no problem.

anyway this is only for a hypothetical case of a commercial publication, it would make it clear and easy to remove them from it.

same goes to the games-mods you listed, geraldine, as long as they are non-commercial it's a case of, let's say grace. but if once a cent is earned with it, it's a case of the lawyers, often they have no relation to the dev. so even if a developer grants you he feels comfortable with it, this won't be the last word spoken.

todays copyrights is a self acting organism (kind of a parasite), which has not much to do with the creation or it's creator, unfortunately.

people can infringe them "without knowing" and get accused by a lawyer who hunts only such infringements, he has nothing to do with the artist neither the copyright representants, he's just a headhunter in the service of a industry that lives from other peoples intellectual work (stop it right here, gernot).

off topic,

i'm pretty shure any of the guys who ever had just made a good conversion or transscription of any games model, had more rights on it then any of the lawyers. any collector of "fine" music will have more rights, because of, exactly the effort you named, he made for his collection, it's not only to buy (or download) and collect records, it's also his knowledge about every single he owns. it didn't makes them to copyright holders, but to a part of the (art)work, but don't ask me. πŸ˜‰

you remember the case with the dead live recordings i reported once at a similar occasion?

some have collected and preserved tapes, even soundboard cuts, since 1966! the Band itself was surprised by the amount and quality of the concerts posted on archive.org, they enjoyed many of them. but copyright representants didn't felt so comfortable about that and all lossless audio had to be removed, also all soundboard recordings of commercial released concerts (but i guess a reel to reel copy for the price of a egg will be fine).

i can understand that many of the collectors got angry.

btw, i have a classical record and i havn't found rarely any information about it, any ideas?

rudolf serkin, beethoven sonata op.57, HMV (not EMI)

there is further a number on the records which could have been a date 14.7.25 (handwritten on all the records labels, while the sleeve shows a handwritten 14.2.75)

there is no booklet or anything else to that record and i havn't found any information about this recording so far.

the cover is plain dark red cardboard with no cover art, except the HMV label.

you see in this case a collector would be handy πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I'm not sure but it sounds like that record might have been a copy sent to radio stations. The numbers might have been their catalog numbers. Just a guess.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

well after i wrote the PM to you marcel, i had a idea.

this is a nice plot for a quest type of mission, find the origin and/or meaning of a (alien)artifact.

that could be randomly (or depending on events) a dead end or endless circle (why not).

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

new entry πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

pioneer is written from scratch id actually like to see it taken much further and more developed than any elite games were it has potential and as more developers come into it some interesting things will be done to it

ReplyQuote