It takes photon power

and eight minutes of an hour

to make it to our sun,

And I know it sounds weird

but it'll take you four years

to make the next one

2mhvnz4.jpg

Download link to ZOOM closer... http://www.sendspace.com/file/mkcr3q

I know these prospective Pioneer 2D icons are not needed for ageseseses (if at all), but it makes a bloody change from doing fantasy mods art.

Coolhand
(@coolhand)
Master Chief Registered

those look great!

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Simply Amazing 🙂

ReplyQuote
curtsibling
(@curtsibling)
Petty Officer Registered

This man is a marvel! Amazing icons there, sir!

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

This looks awesome, big step upward like your previous icons. Glad to see someone with your skills joined the list of contributers.

ReplyQuote
JamieGrant
(@jamiegrant)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you Coolhand, s20dan, Curt Sibling and King Haggis - it was fun doing these. Happy to do what I can to tackle 2D on this exciting game.

-- Jamie

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

awesome ^-^

ReplyQuote
Cosm1cGam3r
(@cosm1cgam3r)
Petty Officer Registered

Cool but it would be much more awesome if this icons would be possible to put them in game.

Some icons could be changed, for example liquor, why it is carton box? Instead of few bottles of alcohol. Animal meat Is wooden box instead of piece of meat. Atmospheric shielding looks like explosion, it should look like ship entering atmosphere and some kind of shield that is wormed up by atmosphere. Hand weapons and battle weapons instead of some toolbox they should look like hand gun/pistol for hand guns and some laser rifle for battle weapons.

Maybe Im blind but where is icon for passenger cabins?

We need to send big smiles to Tomm so he maybe will be wiling to put icons to game 🙂

ReplyQuote
JamieGrant
(@jamiegrant)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for your critical appraisal Cosm1cGam3r,

These 2D icons are not complete - I've work on and did these when I had a free(ish) week from deadlines. Haven't pushed these upon starlord Tomm - did 'em for the fun of it not expecting sudden uptake.

CH-CH-CHANGES...

Aye, the liquor icon is not complete (maybe some pilot opened that box and drunk everthing! I've to add different bottles of spirts and cans of beer to that icon. The animal meat is packed in freight boxes; I'll try a butcher shop style hanging carcass icon in my next run. The atmo shielding is white streaks on a atmo-blue background to show the rush of air as the craft head into it. I'm always trying to figure out better versions, thank you for your two suggestions on the atmo-icon. Hand weapons and battle weapons come in padded ammunition boxes (never loose) as any squaddie will tell you. I tried different gun before but I lke the ammo boxes - leaves what the weapons look like to the player's imagination.

Good call on the passenger cabins - a NEW icon to solve. I'll base it upon the cargo bay life support unit but stick a lit environment with a TV in there! Again, I'll leave it to Tomm to do what he wishes with my work here but when he or the other coders are ready; they'll have my full support.

Tokus*Maximus

It's Tomm's world - we just live here! 😛

ReplyQuote
Cosm1cGam3r
(@cosm1cgam3r)
Petty Officer Registered

My pleasure m8 🙂

I like to help people that they may make even better things :]

I didnt play to much Pioneer I just started and its my second day when I discovered this awesome remake.

Today I saw that there is no passenger cabins and no people in BB that want to travel but I bet that it will be implemented in future as it was in original FE2 🙂

With our requests this remake will start to be new game based on FE2 😀

I got idea for Tomm. It would be nice to make original remake of original FE2 and separate mode for game based on FE2 so when player start game he will chose if he wants to see original FE2 (those young players who didnt have chance to play that masterpiece and want to see how it looked like then) or he wants to play game based on FE2. In this second mode there would be all that stuff that we are mentioning as things that would be nice to see in game :] There is no hope that there will be next game like FE2 so (maybe "Infinity" game will be worth of calling it real space sim like FE2 and will be single player too not only MMO 🙂 ) I put my hope in this awesome remake of awesome space sim FE2. I hope that there will be more people passionates of space games and will be skilled programmers and will help in making of this remake so this game would be made much more quicker. I just hope that this will be accomplished in our life time 🙄

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
I got idea for Tomm. It would be nice to make original remake of original FE2 and separate mode for game based on FE2 so when player start game he will chose if he wants to see original FE2 (those young players who didnt have chance to play that masterpiece and want to see how it looked like then) or he wants to play game based on FE2.

It wouldn't work like that, the games are already far too different.

You could only simulate a look of the original, but I just don't see the point in deliberately limiting graphics so it 'appears' old.

What could work though is when there is finally an installer, you could choose Original FE2 settings for ships and gameplay, or new Pioneer settings for ships and gameplay.

I really think this is the way to go, as although I personally like every idea that has been incorperated into the game, the Die-Hard Frontier Elite 2 fans might not like those changes as much.

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Quote:
as although I personally like every idea that has been incorperated into the game, the Die-Hard Frontier Elite 2 fans might not like those changes as much.

I myself like the old Frontier, it's a real classic masterpiece which will always be remembered. I think there has never been a better spacegame (until now). But I agree with you, I like the changes in Pioneer. IMO, Pioneer shouldn't necessarily be an exact copy of Frontier, we already have that game so if the purists want Elite Frontier, let them play Elite Frontier. I personally think Pioneer should become a better game than the original Frontier with improvements and preferably with it's own identity. If it's going to be a perfect clone we'll never get to see some new stuff, just better graphics.

I still like the idea of making 1 exact copy of Frontier with improved graphics and call it Pioneer for those who insist on playing a good looking clone and after that (or alongside), continue with improvements, experiments and addons for those who want something new and call it Pioneer 2 or something else. May be a bit confusing but that way, there'll always be 2 happy crowds. The purists and the adventurers 😀 .

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

We could simply call it First Elite Frontier Pioneer Encounters 2. That'd to it. 😕

ReplyQuote
memnoch
(@memnoch)
Petty Officer Registered

Great icons Jamie. But had you noticed the icon for the Class IX Hyperdrive has 'XI' on it instead?

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

had a look at the icons they look good with some work would love to see them n th e game

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Hi Jamie, do you reckon you could post those icons in individual files in a .zip file?

I'm currently tinkering with icons on the trade screen so it would be nice to have a copy of those ones.

Cheers.

Updated the pic with one with varying icons. Its now ready to have those icons whenever your ready 😉

[attachment=403:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-01-11 01-38-53-18.jpg]

ReplyQuote
JamieGrant
(@jamiegrant)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Lovely to see early stage on them in the Graphic User Interface. Nice timing with that top of page 2 post!

💡 Yes, I'll sort the commodities this evening.

Q: What are exact pixel dimensions available to work within? If larger/wider - I can improve with more item examples.

Q: What file format would you prefer them in? .PNG? .TGA? .JPG? Please advise.

Goood luck commander! 😎

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Excellent 🙂

The current usable height for the icons is the same as the 'blastoff' icon from the user interface, however the width can be three times that, it can be even more however I think it best to leave the icon about the same width as the name at the most.

If for any reason you want to make the icons with a bit more height, that is ok too, I'll just need to re-space the menu some more.

PNG is the best format for these, its what the game will use. Also, please use the goods particular name for the name of the file:

EG, 'Liquid Hydrogen.png' , its not too important as I will probably have to correct slight errors in the names anyway as the system is a little inconsistent.

Cheers, And good luck to you too, Commander. 😀

ReplyQuote
JamieGrant
(@jamiegrant)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Roger that Spacelord Dan.

Got your orders loud an' clear.

Starting my attack run now!

Sir Jamz

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

This is very much a WIP but you guys should have a look and give your opinions or suggestions.

[attachment=408:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-01-12 01-13-28-16.jpg]

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

thats looking pretty good

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Thanks, here's a little update:

[attachment=409:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-01-12 03-01-03-14.jpg]

Maybe someone else would like to have a go at making a better one?

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Those are looking really good s20dan, but I think I'll go with the first. As for making a better one, this sounds like a job for JamieGrant. (You've got a real talent for this kind of stuff Jamie!)

Now if we could just get that video link up...

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Well my hope was that people would see them and have a go at doing one themselves. Could probably alter them as well depending on ship type or station name or something, so either different ports have different terminals or different ships have different terminals.

Here's a third one, basically just the second one reworked:

[attachment=410:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-01-12 06-48-18-64.jpg]

[attachment=411:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-01-12 06-43-28-39.jpg]

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Here's the actual files used for the interface for anyone that wants to have a try at making one.

This goes underneath:

[attachment=413:tradescreen.jpg]

This goes over the top, however its lost its alpha settings now due to converting to .jpeg so its not transparant anymore:

[attachment=412:tradescreen_shade.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2