Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society

Page 13 / 47

Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

this results in:

"as lower the technical equipment is as higher the creativity gets"

do it why not? it's a bit long (jesus on e's), do you know a source where i can download the soundtracker module of the demo?

in this case it would be possible to strip it down to a few minutes.

best of all there was little interest in things like "conspiracy theories".

have phun

"look at those amazing - hairdos"

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

this results in:

"as lower the technical equipment is as higher the creativity gets"

do it why not? it's a bit long (jesus on e's), do you know a source where i can download the soundtracker module of the demo?

in this case it would be possible to strip it down to a few minutes.

Sure Gernot, have a look here or if you want the MP3 version PM me.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

great, thank you!

the tracker mod is what one would need,

using "modplug" resp. "openMTP" not only allows to replay and record the music, it comes along with a track editor.

http://openmpt.org/

further it's also mentioned to be used in a application, such as a game.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/modplug/

openMTP can also be used as a tool to convert midi to a soundtracker format and vice versa.

not very easy but it's possible.

of course one could even use own samples

"a player piano..."

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

that's really great geraldine

i found alrady some fine tunes,

http://www.spoonwizard.com/_assets/downloads/mods/1996/Damn_swa.med

[attachment=2685:ScreenShot_077.jpg] [attachment=2686:ScreenShot_079.jpg] [attachment=2687:ScreenShot_080.jpg]

the shots are made while i played back the linked module with "ModPlug Player"

for the visualisations i used "G-Force 2.2" for WinAmp linked to "ModPlug Player".

of course backgrounds and sprites used in the visualisation are mine,

if the apple player is installed G-Force also plays back .avi as backgrounds, but i didn't like this to much.

the settings of G-Force are slightly changed by me to call up the sprites more often.

i will see if i find a link to the old version of G-Force, if not, then i feel so free to upload it here from my machine.

"old" is preferred because it's free of any fees.

most visualizers are boring after a short time, because they repeat always the same things.

G-Force is different it blends randomly various things like the sprites, the visualisation itself, a alpha blending channel, the backgrounds.

it is repetive to, but never appears twice the same.

also because each can easy use his own selection of sprites and backgrounds, it's something quite different as most other.

you don't need to have WinAmp installed to use "G-Force" with the "ModPlug Player" (of course it would support any WinAmp vis. plugin)

you can put (extract) the visualizer anywhere and then call it up from the player.

if you are interested (who ever) a short hint to "sprites & backgrounds"

sprites should be b&w, while black represents the sprite to show

backgrounds look best if you invert the colors (negative), but set a "background" (of the picture you use) to white if you like that it doesn't get shown.

(i.e. for a roundlet)

hmm... i only find links for the MAC

since it's small it shouldn't be a problem to upload it.

[attachment=2688:G-Force22.zip]

don't set the resolution for G-force in Fullscreen mode to high, the sprites are rather low in res and also the "dots and lines" (which are a sort of sprites to) will get smaller.

it WON'T strech the bakgrounds, the resolution of them is 800x500 and work best with a fullscreen resolution of 720x480 (not all res. work with every card/display).

a full documentation how to use and configure G-Force is included.

you find the original config file as a .bak, the resent used one is a little different, like i said sprites get called more often, and sensitivity is screwed up.

depending on your favorite music you might like to lower the sensitivity, raves which have a deep loud bass need less sensitivity as rock music.

it's not only a visualizer, it's a little toy you can waste a lot of time with.

gfx card settings type of gfx card and if displayed in window mode or fullscreen alter the appearance of G-Force.

some high antialiasing is fine for it.

also i will suggest here "White Cap" it's from the same Author but far simpler, but if one likes to understand how the vis get produced it's easier.

scripts to conrol "white Cap" exist countless.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Check your PMs Gernot

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Currently playing in Chez Cody - an old favourite:

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

groooss!

i love *acoustical rock music, that's a fine tune.

in despite of repetition,

i like this cover best, i didn't found it on YT that's why i uploaded it.

i like anything acoustical, even dulcimer, let's se if i find some "Appenzeller" music...

to most this is more familiar as "dueling banjos", here it's named "Di muetig gääser Chatz", which means "the courageous cat from Gais" Gais is Appenzell Ausserrhoden.

the earring he wears is the traditonal "skimmer".

interesting, never saw one very close, besides of the spoon in the lower part of this jewelery, the upper half is a snake which bites her own tail.

i've heard right now a explanation of a jeweler but i'm not sure if this really catches the sense of it.

he assumes it's because the snake is looked at as a mean animal but worn in your own ear she can't harm you.

but the snake has turned to a representation of evil due to christianisation.

one thing i know for sure, the snake which bites her own tail is a ancient celtic symbol and represents the endless cycle of life.

how this snake is crafted is also typical celtic.

70674c105370839179ef5b1e1816edd0_1_orig.

watch even this, that's great:

like such self crafted instruments?

watch this girl what she did to a old C64, she's a self tought electronic engineer

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

ok Cody, here's something for you (no music, but a cartoon)

DRIVING THAT TRAIN:

http://blog.ninapaley.com/2014/06/01/drivin-that-train/

This is the most animated non-animation I think I have ever seen.

this one belongs to all mankind (again):

Due to horrific recent events, This Land Is Mine has gone viral again.

Here’s a reminder that you don’t need permission to copy, share, broadcast, post, embed, subtitle, etc.

which means in fact if you dislike the Music than add some "Heavy Metal" or whatever pleases you (as long as it fits to the topic of the clip).

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Cool cartoon, Gernot - almost in the style of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers! There were rumours of a stop-motion film, which could have been awesome! I like Casey Jones a lot, but it ain't the best track on Workingman's Dead - this is:

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Truely it is the best track on Workingman's Dead

it was the one which attracted me first and best when i bought the record

Workingman's Dead

that's like revelation.

---

Freak Brothers - memories... youth... Bong... and another Bong.

---

did i ever posted this painting here?

mantra_zps45b1ed38.jpg

erm, try to fill in something else in the bubble, i.e. a $ sign, the sense becomes a quite different one.

two reasons i had to paint it,

first, i was high and very inspired by a '74 show.

second, i've heard in a interview with Bob that they like to publish their Music in surround, i totally dislike surround sound of today,

all this 3.1, 5.1, 7.1 (one posted somewhere he has in his car 13.1???) is only "wishi-washi" to me.

A good stereo signal has a far better resolution.

i guess that was half of the trick of the "3D" sound of Grateful Dead, to use the "imperfection" of the human ear.

imperfection isn't quite right, but how does the ear determine if something is in front or behind you?

it's simply the color of the sound, something behind you sounds "darker", the same sound in front "brighter".

To put speakers in every angle of the room, is NO GOOD SOLUTION, the result is "wishi-washi" (smeared, blurred).

We have a High-End engineer here in Switzerland who even says:

"Mono can be as good or even better as Stereo, if the sound is reproduced proper by the speakers".

His mono speakersystem looks a bit like a "Dalek".

One thing for sure i never trust "one chip" pre-amps, this is neither a good solution, that's why they need this multiple channels to cover this leak, imho.

I.e. the built in soundcard i have now is cheap, cheap, crap.

Further, look at the cheap speaker systems we have today, that's crappy to and another reason for multiple channels to be needed.

I guess the problem is that most ears are already trained by todays music, they expect sound has to spin around in the field of sound.

But that isn't the purpose or the goal, the goal is DEPTH, space in other terms.

Our ears are like our eyes, only that we listen far less concious as we see, ears can get tired just like eyes i.e.

we see "stereo" for what? to have depth, hunting get's difficult with only one eye, now how would you feel if the picture in front of you would spin around?

I'm pretty sure this leads to nausea. ok, trippin' somehow, but no, that's not the goal.

experiment: cover one eye and walk down a stair - good luck to you (if you are not used to).

I obtained a professional soundcard (mono) it was filled to the rim with discrete elements (transitors), do i think it was for fun?

Certainly not, amplifiers tend to oscillate, Murphy's law, i know this also from experience, any pre-amp has to be adjusted,

how to do that with all built in one-chip?

semiconductors have a character, they don't equal 100% each other.

for logical gates this plays no role, but for amplifiers it plays a big role.

Of course to listen to "minimal" this doesn't matters and maybe "wishi-washi" helps then even.

i really like many of the SB's from this era.

18/06/74 is one of my favorites, unfortunately it's released and removed from archive.org

Grateful Dead in perfect harmony and a woken up Keith Godchaux.

fortunately i downloaded it before it was removed, phew.

ah, yes, to listen to "wall of sound" SB's systems with a central sub-bass are completely unsuitable, Phils bass will lose it's magic.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

something different,

jeri ellsworth, the lady with the C64 bass, i forgot to post that she's really a class of her own, but watch for yourself

(noticed the "running man" badge? intellivision - great)

really watch it, you will be overwhelmed by her talent

i don't have to tell you that every second guy falls in love with her?

now if i woke some interest, or if you are interested in electronics, or if you think "hey this woman is smart", this is her channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTpDNIOtgfRkyT-AFGNWVw

check it out, it's really worth to, she made a few clips about history of electronics (A-Z of electronics) unfortunately she stopped at "D", i don't know why, maybe she hasn't enough time left, but "everybody" loves it and likes to see more. she even made clips about how to make race-cars.

enjoy this "force of nature".

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Ah, yes... there have been many covers of Morning Dew, but The Dead probably made it famous. I saw them perform it in '72, and the version on Europe 72 is my favourite. Mind you, I once saw Spooky Tooth play a cracking version! It's a beautiful song, inspired by the '50s movie On the Beach, adapted from the Nevil Shute novel of the same name (which is an excellent read, btw - back in the depths of the Cold War, nuclear apocalypse seemed all too likely). Time for a song from the late '60s, when the Vietnam war was raging too - by the inimitable Fugs (one of my few remaining, and much-treasured vinyls, is this)...

... and now for something completely different:

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

great selection dude!

i must take the fugs to the next aoxotoxoa concert.

---

the track was more randomly selected, but i will upload the whole show, track by track, because it's removed from archive.org since this show is released on CD,

i guess some will apreciate this. i know at least one "my attorney" - she said she is 🙂 i guess she's the same age like you (i assume if someone has visited dead shows in the early-mid 70's as girl)

only a afro-american, we lost contact unfortunately.

dammit i'm at least 10 years younger but i guess she would attract me.

i told her that i live in europe and it wouldn't be possible so easy to meet her, even if i would like to.

i must call her up once, i don't like to loose this contact even if we never meet.

but she's not the only older (older as me, not old) woman who likes me much,

"Diana", a deadhead from on '66 (no joke) she's part of the Rainbow family since, i guess since it exists, we met first at a small open-air here in switzerland when the "deadend?"

still was playing, she came only for this band to concerts, if the way wasn't to long. "i feel like 17 again!" we had a long talk after the open-air or i have to say she rapped endlessly, cause of... fresh air. i hope she's still alive and well.

"Barbara" she's a artist from Glarus, famous she became in NY, she often said if i would be 20 years younger

i would take you right home... you look so cute in your overall, don't you know?

famous you get rarely at home, this she told me to.

they only laughed about her arts in Glarus, then suddenly a galerist from Zurich got attented to her and gave her the chance to make a exbhibition in NY.

when she returned she was the "famous Barbara who had a exhibition in NY" - she only laughs about such and says: "now i laugh about them and best of all they buy my arts now".

already her father was a artist and a really talented drawer, i have seen drawings of him at her home, one impressed me much, you saw him standing in front of the easel and in the mirror

beside him you saw him as a skeleton, drawed with lead pencil in a realistic style, he neither got famous in Glarus or Switzerland - "trivial arts" what a shitty unfair term.

she likes my symbolism much and i know i inspired her to write a book about symbolism.

either they could be my mothers or they are very young, that's weird.

what did a young girl said to me three days ago, she was impressed of a t-shirt of mine: "i don't understand that some can sell three strokes as art for many thousend SFr." well said my dear.

i was therefore surprised that she has seen what was "behind" the picture, most ppl i told her don't see this, they even take no time for a second look, everything is so cursory today.

i also told her "look, arts is a industry today sponsored by the big money institutes, the only purpose is to make more money, nothing else", of course every artist likes to sell his arts, but...

it's pretty much the same as in music industry.

a "living tool" for the industry i was long enough i rather be poor and have to live by rice and water. i like to make crafts i'm not a tool for someone else,

construction worker or carpenter that was ok. it's still fair, you make a good job and earn good money for it, or maybe even less money but the amount doesn't matters so much to me, it has to be fair,

i like to know who takes profit of my work, or i disliked it completely in textile industry, guessing that i will give away my youth for "Lagerfeld & co" has made my angry and sad.

soccer WCS is over now but such can make me angry to, if i think of the situation of the seamstresses in south america (or elsewhere) and some sports brand makes the big money.

textile is one of the unfairest business in the world, some get billonaires this easy others can't exist from their work, workers as well as the industry itself.

if you have nice butt (resp. no butt), you can get rich this quick and earn at once as the whole industry earns in a year. textile industry is really modern slavery.

and they lie (pitch voice up) "textile is a family, you don't do this for money" - ahh shut up you *%/#!

(but some butter on the bread won't be bad no?)

a gang of construction workers, yeah that's family, but you don't have to speak this out every now and then.

time for a dylan song, to protect me from running amok

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Rockin' right on... the late, great, Nicky Hopkins in full flow!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

sure fine record, one of the vinyls i didn't own anymore, but such missing things i downloaded later, "fair" or not i would miss them else much.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

This Redemption Song is my favorite from Bob Marley ^^, but  i prefer this  version from 1980 Uprising album :

Every time i listen that , tears are not far ... 

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

sure, who didn't know or likes it?

'course i have a "redemption song 1)  (uprising rehearsals)" as well, acoustic guitar, but it's from a quite noisy tape.

he leaves out in one verse the last word in each line, e.g. "how long shall they kill our (pause)",

it's like a text to complete and the missing words get burned in your mind (if they aren't anyway).

overall the rehearsal is of a bad quality and if you listen loud to it you can hear the artefacts from the heavy noise reduction i used.

but the acoustic version is silent and it's very difficult then to find a good level for the noise reduction, even if it works with phase shifting of a analyzed short noise singal.

but as harder the noise reduction is as more artefacts it will leave (some digital chatter).

for completeness (there was no need to upload this)

all the rest of what's entitled "uprising rehearsals", isn't much different to the album "uprising".

---

not very good to link this one here, but i like the controverse it released,

Metallica - Turn The Page

---

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

In the fourth black and white were mingled into Quicksilver

And she coloured Mercury

And she made a day of wisdom

And the signs that are placed in the firmament!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

it's got pennons on the notes, a comrade stated once.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

some well known classical tunes, i guess this is the most legal way to share it, instead to present the music in a mod for pioneer we can link some YT clips.

personally i like to listen more and more to classical music (stupid term, better would be orchestral music) in pioneer.

also this will be in the spirit of our project starter i know, who stated once "i prefere to listen to classical music" (someone elses choice might be different) when we was asking years ago for music in Pioneer (i haven't forgot any of your statements dear friend).

to me really it suits the game best and i see no problem to share wagner or strauss in this way.

if you might like it i neither know, but i like it.

i grew up with it, apart from jazz and folk music.

i know i linked some classical - no, some orchestral music already and probably will repeat one or the other.

let's start with two well known exponents which simply belong to a space game

like i stated in our conversation this is my one and only opening tune, it simply can't be replaced and since "2001" everybody will feel "space" when one listens to it.

it's really worth to listen to the complete concert.

the second well known and which has been always used to represent a "naval" or "battle" impression,

(i'm aware that everybody knows these tunes, nonetheless)

now something which is also well know from countless movie soundtracks, but it even suits well to pioneer imo,

that's a fine recording of the tune, i feel.

the whole composition is worth to listen to, but 45min's are a little to long and there are other works which you can't split to sets.

this is very "loud" or in other terms dynamic, but i suggest also the "lento" of the same composition.

besides while i was looking for "sheherazade" i stumbled over a similar named but less known but very fitting composition of maurice ravel

now something very simple but never ment to be played, but it fits very well to the docking scenes,

you might will have to split them to the single exponents, they sound simply great to me, like anything this "dude" coposed.

many compositions of him are hard to listen to but these canons are very basic and simple in harmony.

only 8 basic notes, that's the marvellous thing about them and it shows very well the way how he composed music,

how music and mathematics was one thing to him.

harmony as a mathematical expression, it was clearly in the spirit of his time to search for the "holy grale" in the harmony of creation.

just like you would find god in it, if not god but certainly you find the key to all what represents our universe in it.

that's why i like bach so much and i already liked his music when he wasn't as "popular" as he is now, one could say already in the belly of my mother,

my father prefered to listen to bach, well it (has) suits his character and you should have see in what different world he was transferred when he listened to it, like he would have taken a ecstasy of some sort.

i linked in our conversation a canon of different training pieces of him, but couldn't find them on YT, they are even more basic.

the one i like most is a canon over four notes reading the notes from fore to back and back to fore together, he did such often and even in the above example some are "in motu recto et contrario"

i would have more music which i like personally for pioneer, but i guess i stop here and let something different follow

erm, i was looking for a different tune of them but this one is as good as,

the arts you see in the clip remind me much of what "Barbara Streiff" did and for what she has been laughed at home and became (a little) fame in NY.

---

edit:

i have to link this one, it pops up after listening to the "canons over the first 8 notes from the goldberg variations aria"

i have to post it because it shows how one can destroy the music and make a horrible kitsch out of it and well it's as kitsch as the picture to the music.

this is mean it really kills the spirit of it.

though take it as a example how it shouldn't be done and why i dislike this sort of "arts" if it suits to the term arts at all.

one could say and i usually say to "matter of choice", but exactly at this point "matter of choice" ends.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

in red 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A good movie, was Zabriskie Point - great soundtrack!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Zabriskie Point was one of the must views in my hideout.

this guy can (could wrote) write fine songs...

---

something more glossy,

i listened to a lot of pink floyd in the past weeks, i miss(ed) two records, "More" and "Obscured By Clouds" in my collection.

checked some fine rock 'n roll of ccr,

and finally met the "starship trooper".

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 47