Notifications
Clear all

Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society

Page 28 / 47

arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Warrant Officer Registered

I probably heard Arnold Layne, See Emily Play and Money when I was young but don't really remember being aware of Floyd until Another Brick in the Wall was in the charts. I listened to The Wall a lot and then The Final Cut, then The Dark Side of the Moon. I know a few tracks from other albums but have never really listened much to any of their other albums. Gilmour is one of the best guitarists ever. Not had any interest in anything they did that Waters wasn't involved in.

Anyway 'careful with that spliff Eugene'

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @arfa

Gilmour is one of the best guitarists ever. Not had any interest in anything they did that Waters wasn't involved in.

Gilmour's guitar break on this recording (from his On an Island tour) of Comfortably Numb is awesome!

The Live in Gdansk album is well worth having.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Prefer the Live 8 version - there is something about the version of the band without Waters that doesn't sound right to me.

Back on page 20 someone mentions violins in rock songs

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Been snowing all morning up here

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Three monks of The Guardians of the Free Spirit enjoy themselves back on Earth after a long space voyage

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

They say today is Blue Monday! Some Blue Cheer is obviously needed...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

The only Blue Cheer song I was familiar with was their version of Summertime Blues.

It's been raining for about 12 hours so here's some 80's Psychedelia from Rain Parade

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Today's weather

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Yep, rainy day here too!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Traffic is one of those bands that I remember hearing about a lot but don't know any of their songs.

Something that I remember hearing on the radio when it got into the charts - sounded unlike anything I was used to hearing on the radio.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Traffic is one of those bands that I remember hearing about a lot but don't know any of their songs.

Steve Winwood (the main man in Traffic) is a hugely-talented multi-instrumentalist, singer, and songwriter. I'd struggle to name their best album, but The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys and When the Eagle Flies are my favourites.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Steve Winwood is a name that I have known for at least 40 years but never picked up on any of his music. He got a mention on the Classic Albums episode for Electric Ladyland as he played on that. Found out recently that he has played with Eric Clapton a lot. Also found out yesterday that he was in the Spencer Davis Group (I have played along to one of their songs at a guitar jam but can't remember whether it was Keep On Running or Gimme Some Loving - might have played I'm a Man as well).

There is a guitar riff which I started playing years and years ago but couldn't figure out which song it was from - it turned out to be the bit at the start of this song

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Argus is a classic album! And as I've probably said before, the cover art is very evocative.

Time for Stanley Unwin's masterpiece, accompanied by the Small Faces...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Looks like I haven't been paying attention as some of the things I said about Steve Winwood yesterday were mentioned on this very thread back on page 19.

Small Faces is another band that I have heard of but don't know much about - I think I only know Itchycoo Park and Lazy Sunday. Just been on Wiki to find out what is the difference between Small Faces and Faces.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

what is the difference between Small Faces and Faces

"Or find myself a rock and roll band, that needs a helping hand."

Faces were an excellent band, and A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse is a fine album.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

While reading about Small Faces / Faces yesterday I saw mention of a band called Steamhammer

This song is probably better known as being played by Status Quo at many of their gigs.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Currently playing chez Cody...

Oolite Naval Attaché

arfa liked
ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

I don't think I've heard that version. I assume it must be the original. The version I heard was from a Metallica album.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I assume it must be the original.

Aye, that it is!

Oolite Naval Attaché

arfa liked
ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Just remembered that there is a nice Lynyrd Skynyrd tune that I discovered only recently

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A couple from Dr Hook...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

I remember seeing Dr Hook on Top of the Pops in the late 1970's - didn't like them at all. Years later, one of them was a guest on an evening show on Radio One and had an acoustic guitar with him with the intention of performing live. I thought it was going to be awful but he turned out to be an incredibly talented musician, playing a bass line, chords and a melody on the guitar all at the same as singing. After hearing this I thought maybe there was more to the band than the few hit singles that I had heard.

I have a CD by a band called W.A.S.P which has a song 'I Don't Need No Doctor' on it. It's a cover version and has a connection to the Small Faces I think

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 47