Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 percent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society  

Page 29 / 29

arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

I remember seeing Dr Hook on Top of the Pops in the late 1970's - didn't like them at all. Years later, one of them was a guest on an evening show on Radio One and had an acoustic guitar with him with the intention of performing live. I thought it was going to be awful but he turned out to be an incredibly talented musician, playing a bass line, chords and a melody on the guitar all at the same as singing. After hearing this I thought maybe there was more to the band than the few hit singles that I had heard.

I have a CD by a band called W.A.S.P which has a song 'I Don't Need No Doctor' on it. It's a cover version and has a connection to the Small Faces I think

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

That's a much-covered song, and the connection is Steve Marriott. Here he is with Humble Pie at their height...

Give me five, I'm still alive
Ain't no luck, I learned to duck

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I'd been thinking of posting a Carole King song, and now I see that Tapestry is fifty years old...

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

Nice guitar sound on the Humble Pie live recording. I have heard Paul Weller do a version of the Gilded Splinters song so I now have an excuse to post this

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @arfa

Nice guitar sound...

Hey! Play the guitars!

arfa liked
ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

Great guitar sound - very Telecaster-ish.

Back in the 1980's I played drums a bit and knew a bass player. We did a couple of jams with two guitarist / singers who said we should cover this song. Later covered it in another band also.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

Page 22 gave us Sloe Gin - now it's time for some Cold Gin

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Classical music as only Keith Emerson could do it...

He was an awesome stage act, crouched atop his hammond organ, rocking it to and fro, jamming daggers into the keyboard.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

The classical music tune from that piece sounds very familiar - I suspect it was used as theme music for a 1970's TV programme. I have seen Jon Lord live a couple of times (Whitesnake) and was surprised how 'badly' he treated his keyboards, lifting them up on one side and then dropping them back on to the stage. I have seen a story that Kirk Hammett of Metallica paid over 2 million dollars for Peter Greens Les Paul that was used in the late 60's and have been wondering how many instruments from back then, which could have been worth a fortune today, were destroyed deliberately for the sake of spectacle.

Don't know anything about Keith Emerson except

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @arfa

I suspect it was used as theme music for a 1970's TV programme

Yep - This Week, which was a current affairs series.

arfa liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Kingfish did a nice cover of this Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballad...

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

There was another current affairs programme that had a theme tune that sounded like a rock song. I asked somebody about it at school and found out it was by a band called Mountain. I've got the CD of the album now. (Nantucket Sleighride is on this thread somewhere). I think the programme was called Weekend World.

Yesterday the security guard at the supermarket said something to me as I walked out which I couldn't hear properly but I think it might have been 'take it easy'

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Senior Chief Registered

Just remembered another old TV theme. This excellent piece of classical guitar music was used for a programme called Tales of the Riverbank

ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 29