Notifications
Clear all

Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society

Page 8 / 47

Anonymous

I think you might like this two Klaus Schulze albums, with Lisa Gerrard as guest.

Farscape

Rheingold

(please don't watch the video... it's embarassing :D)

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Tnx, tichy, are you some kind of a Guardian Angel!?

anyway, i don+t see nothing "embarassing"

and sorry for something, don+t know for sure.

Nah.. I'm a Pot-head Pixie piloting a (visible) flying teapot.   (search for the prog group Gong 😉 )

It's that video with new-ageish fairies and angels that I find emabarassing (and I also think that doesn't fit well with the music of K.S.... but that's a matter of taste). 

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I'm playing Oolite with Christopher Franke's Babylon 5 soundtrack. Epic! 

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

@cody, quicksilver, hmm... ?

i know the tune well (cobra).

as much as i like rock music, for gaming i prefere something "artificial", it simply makes me unattentive if i hear quicksilver or dead...

(i have to listen then to the guitar or piano, or feel that i have to fix me a cock).

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

KIKOOOOOO Gernot ^^ 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Hey Gernot... good to see you here again. Re in-game music: in my Ooniverse, I figure I have my entire CD collection aboard my Cobra III, so that's the music I play. It does range from Bach to Zappa, passing through many points along the way, though.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

mine begun to Aerosmith and finish to ZZ top .

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

yes i do wonder how you collected them biomechanoid, i always expected i would get me a lot of warning points, well i must have some friends here i guess, else...

did you ever asked D1 how to get rid of them? probably you can do a favor for him? besides, no we don't see your warning points, that's fair, isn't it?

i guess D1 didn't likes to put one at the pillory, but likes to show the fallible member that he should take care.

---

i guess all of us three, you, vuzz & me, we use google translate often, i use it often to, i don't translate whole sentences, but to find a proper expression like "fallible" it becomes very handy.

---

wasn't it music it was all about? i know i must have linked this not to long ago, but this time without the annoying (speech) "bubbles".

that smoking is dangerous to your health, we all know and don't like to hear (see) that repetively 😉

---

this is a little off topic, prob i move this part of the article to a different forum/thread here.

if you like good old 2D shoot 'em up games (S.E.U.C.K projects). some "new stuff" to find here, most are unfinished (except for "galactic invasion")

after beeing quite satisfied with this one, i tried to make it even more "basic", smaller screen, lower res, because liked to get as close as possible to the 80's.

this ones still unfinished, it will have a lot of levels (13 i guess) and it's something like "fight back to earth".

when i made this G.A.C.K project i started several new ones. first i had the idea to change the gameplay somewhat and instead of a ship you have only a crosshair to point at the "galaxians". it reminds a bit of "Missile Command" or "Atlantis", as far as this was possible within the limitations of G.A.C.K. also ment to show what is possible or that it's possible to leave the common path for shoot 'em ups with G.A.C.K.

for "Pixel Attack" i had the idea to fight over a strip of earthly terrain, "Xevious" like one could say. i (finally re-) started this project "from the end" (from the last level) and started to like this sort of fighting incl. terrestrial buildings.

G.A.C.K can be used to make ripps of games very close to the original, there are limits of course, but check this out, everybody remembers "R-Type", no? this is "Cyrapi" (Piracy)

making the "Giger" style level boss was a treat and certainly shows one of (or exceeds already) the limits.

"no, somehow i don't like to finish this one, even if i put a lot of effort in it, it's a ripp and i can do it myself as well i guess".

what together with the likes of "pixel attack" has lead to this (epic?) airfight called "Spitfire" (no space related game, but my favorite).

shoot 'em up aren't the limit of G.A.C.K, jump and run or other will work as well. while i was checking out old games for a nice gameplay i remembered the quite simple "Venture". i started with a static screen and placed some monsters on it, but i disliked that i get attacked by all monsters at the same time, thus i started to make the map of the labyrinth bigger and field of view smaller. it has turned out to "Castle Of Doom" and finally "Minotaur", but i shoot over the target with "Minotaur" i guess, riddles make only sense in conjunction with random events, which we haven't in G.A.C.K. "Castle Of Doom" is some sort of "Kit in the Kit", new levels can be build very easy with the contained sprites and background tiles. nonetheless i feel it's fun to play.

other started projects like "Flash" (guess what it is) have been delayed, dammit i made "all" the background for "Lunar Rover" and finally cancelled the project, shit happens, sometimes you think it's a good idea but after playing you feel it's shit. sometimes you make a "test" like "Gunner" and it turns out to be fun.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

OMG! SEUCK!!! I've spent many hours with it on the C64!! 

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

enjoy it 😉

or

(re-) try it

it's fun to work with G.A.C.K

G.A.C.K is based on S.E.U.C.K but...

or

wasn't possible then.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Gernot lives! Miracle!

A warm hug to you, old friend. 

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

no it's not a miracle, but STRANGE!

a miracle would be if i would going backwards in time...

a riddle:

"who is going backwards in time?"

enjoy this one, not music but a link to a (nearly) forgotten movie

aproposito "Movie"

i would have "The Grateful Dead" movie ready to upload, but hmmm... i'm not sure if i really should.

anyway "So Far" has been prepared to and i guess i will link it here as soon as it's uploaded.

something else for all the "heads" on SSC (2?)

it needed a pause and finally a poke of... "pasta from the mountain",

after that i went home listened to a fine dead show (which is part of the movie),

had to pick up paper & ink (first time since two years),

mantra_zps45b1ed38.jpg

http://archive.org/details/gd1974-10-18.sbd.miller.110771.flac16

enjoy

the motordriven sbd & the analogue synthesizer feeded by phils bass,

really i can imagine it well (when listening to this show), but never tasted it!

digital surround sound is (sorry) fucking cheap compared to that (5.1 wishi washi i don't like), someone should tell them.

that was the reason why i made the picture: "our grateful dead, give us no surround, rather give us WALL OF SOUND!"

besides, yes, fill in something else into the "think bubble", i.e a $ sign, it will give the picture a complete different sense.

---

addendum or corrigendum:

"ink" isn't quite right, it's made with a brush and black gouache,

i prefere the gouache to chinese ink because it didn't fades to grey when you paint.

but technique is the same, try to lift the brush (or end a line) as less as possible, then even a few lines look alive.

keep the dynamic of your movement to paint, even if you leave the "path" sometimes, it doesn't matters.

the brush is a rather thick one (no. 6 i guess), i adapted this from a former teacher, who always said:

"it's possible to make fine llines even with a thick brush" (if it's a good brush, "unfortunately" nothing works as well as kolinsky hair).

unbenannt-1_2.jpg

(no i didn't hold my brush this flat, mostly straight upwards, i was watching a chinese cartoon artist once, old generation, very nice cartoons with unique chinese expression, this "old man" paintet with the ink and a brush exactly in this way, brush held straight upwards.

in the beginning you feel very uncomfortable with that, lines get tattered and thickness is varying much, but after you get trained a little in it, it's much better as to hold it like in the picture shown above).

but well, i'm no master in anything i do and believe me nonetheless or because of, it took me years to paint in this way.

the goal was this from the start, one could say (when i was young i was freakin' out on a german cartoonist who studied many years in a chinese monastery, when i saw his pictures it was clear to me "this i like to reach!"), but it needed all the years and tears between to get to it (one studies in a zen monastery - the other has to taste the bitterness of life first).

i really don't paint often (to less imo), but i feel i grow from picture to picture,

even when there is a pause of two years between sometimes.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

a riddle:

"who is going backwards in time?"

'I met a man whose name was Time

And he said, "I must be going!"

But just how long ago that was

I have no way of knowing!'

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

cody! that's great 🙂 (sounds a bit like "H.Hesse")

but hmm... i guess... no riddle not yet solved, "sorry no bonus", lol.

his name is known widely i tell you, probably i find a picture that will help a little but not to much

ha, a vid is even better!

[media]

and forgive me this one, i know some people get enerved by the way i speak in riddles sometimes.

i guess it's because many ppl haven't or won't take the time to listen (or watch for real), but because it's that way i won't stop

or it will force me only to do so.

i do really like that and each time i ask such a stupid riddle i understand one more reason why my grandpa wrote mails to his daughter in riddles.

ok, reason no.1 was to get them past the guards in the gulak.

but of course it's a lot of fun and when you do so you sit behind the desk with a nearly demonlike grin (by imagine all the shit the recipient will think).

some sort of forgotten parlor game,

yeah imagine, mankind was playing games even BEFORE the age of computers, unbelievable no?

when i was very, very young and haven't had no friends yet here in switzerland, my favorite "game" was the kaleidoskope,

the rest is conclusion.

---

one of my favorite sci-fi short-stories was that a superior race is watching us from space (like often).

but instead to measure our "worthyness" or the weight of any intelligent species by technical evolution they measured it by the games they (we)

play. good story and has always made a lot of sense to me, yeah not technique, not weapons, neither religion or philosophy, GAMES show the capabilities of a species. they show how cultivated a culture really is.

oh, yes sorry, watched from this pov computergames didn't show off our best.

as this was a only suddenly earth visiting superior race, things like chess have impressed them.

---

something quite different, more pc related.

i didn't used my dvd burner until a few days ago, i needed it to port the massive amount of bytes to the macbook so i could upload the new videos.

when i slipped in the first dvd to burn win7 showed me 479GB space free, 479GB SPACE????

how could that be, that's not possible!

so i played the naive one and let's see what's behind, of course after 4.7GB win7 was explaining that "a external source has altered the media"* and

stopped writing of course and dvd is broken for sure.

now i was wondering is this some typical MS lie or do they have forgot how to count bits and bytes?

*"a external source has altered the media"

that's a cool (no a very lame) excuse, it means "no we are not responsible for it we have space for 479GB but some "holy ghost" came along and changed the media".

that's why i LOVE MS so much, they have the best excuses for the meanest shit.

no even me as a schoolboy i haven't had such a imagination!

i always thought i'm the most creative in finding stupid excuses, but this, to say "something unknown came along", i never dared.

"some ufo has landed and took my books away" yeah of course! "gods own right hand came down and stopped you".

---

"i couldn't foresee it will get this far with computers"

bill gates himself after being asked for the reason of the "millenium bug".

dammit, already at the age of 9 when i started to get interested in electronics i knew how far it will come...

---

just because it's such a beauty, yet another one from phil brown.

i like his paintings (resp. prints) even more as the tie dyes he makes.

and yes i even like it better as his friend mikio's art, to me mikios art has get a little to sleek, glossy and somehow "fat".

something of which you say in the first moment: "stunning", but it looses magic when seen often.

phils celtic impressed art is never that glossy, always great to look at and flashes me each time (must be that rotten kaleidoskope).

shit, i had some nice t's of him, i inherited them from his sister, i met her once here in switzerland, i miss them much,

some i gave away (simply to kind this guy), some was worn out and some my ex teared apart along with some of my own paintings,

which certainly has lead to our divorce. do what you like, steal my money, burn down my house,

but never, never destroy a painting i gifted to you!

besides, even when they use ink jets for the prints, phils art could be easy done as a silkscreen printing,

it's something which could be done without computers and all that kind of stuff.

i differ much between handcrafted and computer arts, somehow digital is always cheap in some sort, at least to me.

(argh, today i have a shitty connection, 250mins to upload 900MB, still 75mins to go)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

(sounds a bit like "H.Hesse")

Hermann Hesse? I read most of his stuff a long time ago (I still possess The Glass Bead Game).

The verse is actually from October Song, though.

As for the riddle... no idea.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

hmmm... i guess i don't like to solve it.

ok, another hint, a famous fighter plane engine is named after him.

the symbol (which phil named "wheel of fortune") is a strong hint to.

the kind of art as well as the rotation of the symbol should...

He's the one "moving backwards in time".

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

hmmm... i guess i don't like to solve it.

ok, another hint, a famous fighter plane engine is named after him.

Hmm... could that be Merlin?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@Biomechanoid

We must understand that we are in an international site. This means that although the official language is British English, many, many people use the Google translator. The differences are not only language. Something that to me is a joke, for others may be offensive. Clearly, you have offended someone. Is need you understand. Also the offended. You are a valuable person, also the offended. We should find a solution to this.

We should create a court martial? <--- this is a joke

And to avoid future conflicts, apologize if this offends anyone.

@potsmoke66 The answer is: Antimatter

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

100pts!

😉

Merlin is moving backwards in time.

@biomechanoid, nothing to be ashame for.

apart from ranting sometimes here and needless insultings i made, i would have quite alot reasons to be really ashame for.

but i don't mind to much, else i would have to take a rope and...

sometimes i wrote such a shit that i had sleepless nights afterwards, but neither i'm the one who would delete something wrong i said.

wrong is wrong, sorry folks, can you forgive me?

my school buddies had to stand this nearly each week, still they stayed my friends, no matter how much faults of mine they had to excuse.

looking for a trustworthy person?

choose the inferior one(s).

with them i would go through hell, with them you can conquer the world.

i know, i sound weird...

but, i simply don't trust anything sleek or anything chinzed.

it has to be rough, smell of sweat and blood is just alright for me.

"dust on the shoes and dirt in the mouth" (but no hand held behind the back).

---

Walterar, "antimatter" i didn't thought of but well does it ? (move backwards in time)

the "court" yes.

erm, a idea i brought up quite a while ago, what about a "forum ban" thread?

it doesn't have to be serious, but things like this help to clarify situations sometimes.

you're free to joke around and no one has to feel insulted by it.

not really needed as long as we have ppl here like cody or even little me.

sometimes i wished to some folks wouldn't take everything so

"Bierernst" (seriously).

we are here for a GAME, gaming is entertainment and no "bible lesson".

and believe me (or not) the character of participants will certainly be reflected in their work.

you simply kill fun and the attempt to entertain if you take things to serious.

i remember right now why the "DeadEnd?" splitted, to high expectations of a few band members.

they forgot what it was about, it's about having fun!

fine ok, youre a brillant instrumentalist and like to reach "higher grounds", but erm "did you asked the crowd?"

you will have to ask yourself for who you do it, for yourself? or for the ppl who come to listen? (or play)

BE A SUN!

she doesn't shines for herself, she shines only for all.

some call this a "real egoist", ok fine then i'm a real egoist, but as long as we have fun (and are able to share), what's the problem?

i have a slight idea what's the problem then...

it will leak of a leader.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

BE A SUN!

she doesn't shines for herself, she shines only for all.

Do you remember the sun?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

oh how i miss those records, they are in the collection of my former girlfriend, thanks alot cody.

(and please yvonne, it's damned soon 20 years ago, can't you forgive me? finally?

i know it was never the same after, neither for me. i know that we brought always light to the ppl.

that everybody was pleased to see us together. those two "hippie-freaks" with their self made unique tie-dyes,

with plants and seeds from A to Z. gifted by people we never saw before, just because it was us).

sorry for this monologue, but she didn't answered to a friendship request on facebook, not even answered to a hello.

so i feel really damned sorry and oh well biomechanoid this is something i'm ashame of, much!

i left her for another woman i married soon after, i know i broke her heart like no one else could have done.

it was mean, totally wrong and i put her prob. in a deep depression (i feel).

if it might have been a different person it wouldn't be that mean, but she was to kind, to unselfish, nearly a angel, that's no lie.

she was to young in some sort and more as just a girlfriend. girlfriend, daughter and my best student.

i found for myself 1000 excuses, but if i think not one could stand.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

life's a long song

see you all soon, have to go back to "Ulisbach" for a few days, also "Rapperswil Blues & Jazz" happens this weekend, certainly i wont sit in front of a "Elektronengehirn" then.

he, he, different kind of translator...

no i don't use any (usually, but on the other hand sometimes i'm such out of my mind that i need it to know how to write "hello"), might be it's wrong sometimes, but i'm convinced you learn better without Google translate.

i learned english first from lyrics, later i picked up a bible, i guess without that (reading the bible in english) i wouldn't have understood one word written in "the book of dead" (also to be re-babtized has helped much to understand this quite different language. no fear 😉 i'm now something like a "fallen angel").

but i guess some well known fairytales would do the job as well.

what about "Alice"? you certainly know the story, the book (precisely, the original manuscript plus original drawings of the author) you find on archive.org.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Planet Claire was great! I love Commando Cody! I saw Radar Men From The Moon in its original form in a theatre. Actually, it was a cafeteria. They had a movie show at my school once per week. There's something about that helmet/mask that evokes some indefinable emotion in me. It's like an ancient Greek tragedy mask. I think Commando Cody was one of the inspirations for Iron Man. I still remember childhood dreams of flying over the city at night in that suit.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Lewis Carroll?

'In the midst of the word he was trying to say

In the midst of his laughter and glee

He had softly and suddenly vanished away

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see!'

As for Commando Cody - that was classic fifties sci-fi.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

in my country we had a dictatorship that began in the 30s of last century and ended in the mid 70s.

I'm curious - which country are you from/based in?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 47