Notifications
Clear all

Pioneer: new GPL Frontier Elite 2 style game

Page 5 / 5

Tony Spike
(@tonyspike)
Senior Chief Registered

i have owned frontier on the 1200 since the day it came out (still got the box and all the stuff that came with it) and its all greek to me this advanced flight mechanics stuff 😆

still i do have a panther clipper with a small plasma acellerator on the front and bloody high shields if you know what i mean 😉

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Quote:
training

use a simple function of pioneer, press CTRL-F12, wow a ship appears in front of me, great! and best of all a lame ladybird. ok, she's acting like a bouy and hangs around in space like shipwrecked but well, a target to fire on and getting comfortable with the controls.

Everybody makes fun of the Ladybird, but just you wait. Maybe when I upload it I'll upgrade it with Talon thrusters! I'll show You! I'll show you to make fun of the Ladybird! I'll show you all! Muahahahahahah! 😈 *cough*

Seriously, I haven't tried my Saitek X45 with Pioneer. I've got to give it a go when I get out of the shipyard. Textures are almost done!

ReplyQuote
Tony Spike
(@tonyspike)
Senior Chief Registered

whats the latest stable release on this anyway

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered

I think that would be the alpha 5

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Newest version is the WIP build posted by Tom in October.

If you use the latest ships with the Alpha5 they most probably wont work due to the changes as they are all for the WIP build and newer.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi people,

Since June 2008 I (and 2 other coders) have been working on an open-source remake of Frontier: Elite 2. I felt it was a shame there were lots of Elite clones but no free software Frontier clones.

It is called Pioneer, is written in C++, SDL, OpenGL, works in Linux, Windows and whatever people can port it to. So far me and 2 other programmers have worked on it, but now it needs artists.

Thought I would breath life again into (what I think) is was the very first thread about Pioneer on the SSC. Its amazing to re-read the posts here, particularly Tomm's very early posts. My oh my how far Pioneer has come since the early Alphas!

Tomm if your out there someplace, thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5