Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 11 / 52

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I wonder if they might still be using the os clock.

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:

Guess, I should not translate lines like: "VID_LINK_ESTABLISHED", but only "Video link established", right? Or should everything be translated?

Brianetta wrote:
If you wish to become an official translator for Pioneer, tell us.

Yep, why not.

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

Кочевник wrote:
Brianetta wrote:

Guess, I should not translate lines like: "VID_LINK_ESTABLISHED", but only "Video link established", right? Or should everything be translated?

Correct on the first. VID_LINK_ESTABLISHED is how the game finds the line and must not be changed.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Кочевник wrote:
Brianetta wrote:

You're quite right, those lines are the tokens used by Pioneer to find the strings it needs to use.

If your translated string contains spaces, it needs to be quoted. The indents at the beginning of each line are removed by the game when it uses them; they're there for clarity. The only escape sequence is \n for a new line. sprintf tokens within the string (%d, %f0.0, %s etc) should be preserved.

Quote:
Brianetta wrote:
If you wish to become an official translator for Pioneer, tell us.

Yep, why not.

Cool. If you're not on Github already, you'll need to be in order to make pull requests containing your translation(s).

You will need to create your language file in data/lang and name it after the language's native name (just like English.txt and Deutsch.txt). Add this file to your copy of the Pioneer git repository on Github and make a pull request to the main one; that way, we can automatically put your language into the game. Submit updated languages in exactly the same way.

This issue here:

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/381

That's the place where developers will let translators know that they have changed something in English.txt. If a translation is not provided for any of the phrases, Pioneer will fall back to the English when needed for that phrase. I'll be using it to open new language issues for all of the languages that we have.

If you need any technical assistance with Github or your local git installation, or you have any other questions, ask me here.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Brianetta wrote:
If your translated string contains spaces, it needs to be quoted.

Actually it only needs to be quoted if it has leading or trailing spaces that need to be preserved.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Is it possible to use this to automatically translate adverts? I know they'd have to be re-written to be a background image with text overlaid, and a selection of fonts to make them look good. Is it worth the effort?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Marcel wrote:
Is it possible to use this to automatically translate adverts? I know they'd have to be re-written to be a background image with text overlaid, and a selection of fonts to make them look good. Is it worth the effort?

Not possible yet. There's a few things involved - extending the translation system to Lua, extending it further to LMR, working out how to let models choose their fonts, and so on.

Now that I think about it though, I wonder if it would be better to not provide translations for ads but rather provided different sets of localised ads. Translations are for the player and really only apply to the UI. In the same way that I wouldn't expect to travel to Berlin and see ads in English, perhaps neither should I expect to travel to New Germany in Pioneer and see English ads there.

Of course I rather think its more likely that we'll want sets of ads based on location or faction rather than language. "Join the Empire" or "Outer Rim News" or something.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Marcel wrote:
Is it worth the effort?

I don't think so... but they could be more diverse by default. Same for ship and location names, they shouldn't be localized but they should include non-English ones. The backstory/setting affects this too, what languages are in use in the year 3200.

ReplyQuote
Ripp
 Ripp
(@ripp)
Crewman Registered

Can anyone help me find the autopilot? Tried every key and nothing.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

When you're flying F4 activates the autopilot. When you're docked F4 communicates with the station. Everybody seems to have difficulty finding this at first. 🙂

ReplyQuote
CreepyStepdad
(@creepystepdad)
Petty Officer Registered

So how far away is functional Enemy AI? I was reading some other posts and it sounds like a lot of work. How's that going?

Really digging the new map feature. Kudos.

I was wondering how booty will be gained, for example when enemies are killed. Will the player have to pick stuff up with grippers or something, or simply touch the items?

Looking forward to the next nightly build. 😀

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

CreepyStepdad wrote:
So how far away is functional Enemy AI? I was reading some other posts and it sounds like a lot of work. How's that going?

The enemy combat AI is fine - try the debug start point to see. That's only useful if an enemy can actually track you down, which right now is pretty much impossible.

Quote:
Really digging the new map feature. Kudos.

Yeah, we're loving it too. Cheers!

Quote:
I was wondering how booty will be gained, for example when enemies are killed. Will the player have to pick stuff up with grippers or something, or simply touch the items?

In Frontier ships would sometimes drop cargo canisters which you could scoop up with the proper equipment. I imagine that will be where we start, though there have been other ideas discussed.

Quote:
Looking forward to the next nightly build. 😀

Go grab it right now - it was made last night and there's been no user-facing changes yet 🙂

ReplyQuote
RayvenQ
(@rayvenq)
Crewman Registered

I'm just wondering how the illegal Goods mechanic works (if there is even one) as I always end up getting caught (Sure, i'll probably get told "take it to where its not illegal" but theres no money in that.)

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

RayvenQ wrote:
I'm just wondering how the illegal Goods mechanic works (if there is even one) as I always end up getting caught (Sure, i'll probably get told "take it to where its not illegal" but theres no money in that.)

You can figure this out by observation and trial and error, but for the impatient:

Small spoiler:

Each station always has the same goods traders. Each trader is always the same (except for stock quantities.)

Big spoiler:

Each trader may be undercover police. If they are, they always will be.

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered

Having problems translating this line:

Quote:
DUE

Due

What is it uded to indicate?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Кочевник wrote:
Having problems translating this line:

Quote:
DUE

Due

What is it uded to indicate?

"When is it due?"

"Due date"

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
"When is it due?"

"Due date"

Ok, I get it.

Now there is another problem. I have this line:

Quote:
JETTISONED

"Jettisoned 1 tonne of "

Which presupposes that the item name will be placed at the end of the line. In Russian this position requires a genetive case of the subject, so in order to preserve grammar rules it is required to place the item name at the beginning of the line. But as I see no indicator for the item I suppose the name will be automaticly placed at the end of the line, right?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

That's right. This is the sort of thing we need to fix. I've opened an issue for this on the tracker: Issue #509.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Brianetta wrote:
That's right. This is the sort of thing we need to fix. I've opened an issue for this on the tracker: Issue #509.

OK, while I slept, somebody went ahead and fixed this! (Thanks, John!) As robn put it:

robn wrote:
From #509 & #510, `JETTISONED` replaced with `JETTISONED_1T_OF_X`. Non-English translations have been updated but can now be re-translated in a nicer way.[/robn]

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

I have question about ship's prices.

Do you plan to lower it's prices? Now it is almost impossible to buy some real cargo ship to start trading, because your starting ship has so tiny cargo hold, so it is impossible to gather enough money from trade in reasonable time now without cheating...

Maybe changing prices by the factor of 1/5 or 1/10 would do? (Maybe some difficulty setting menu? Easy - 1/10, Medium - 1/5, Hard - as is now)

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

it does take a while, but it can be done, and I have done it, but I know what you mean, however this kind of thing can be worked out later, when the game gets balance testing

if you want to cheat, (for testing purposes) press control and m, just keep doing that until you have money

but yeah, the ship prices are a bit high, but Im sure it will be sorted in due time 😀

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

matthewfarmery wrote:

if you want to cheat, (for testing purposes) press control and m, just keep doing that until you have money

I didn't knew that! I was changing prices manually in game files when I had to ;p

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

I asked if it was possible, and told it was 😀

but anyway, the ship prices need to come down a tad, but I have traded for a while, so getting a sidewinder is possible through trader the normal way,

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Przemyslav wrote:
Do you plan to lower it's prices? Now it is almost impossible to buy some real cargo ship to start trading, because your starting ship has so tiny cargo hold, so it is impossible to gather enough money from trade in reasonable time now without cheating...

Right now the entire economic model is up in the air. We know we need to do something, and we have discussed it, and there's a few good ideas kicking around, but we're just not there yet. The ten year plan is that politics, trade, economies, industry types, etc will all be part of the same system and will all affect each other in interesting ways. The steps in between aren't really defined though.

In the meantime, a good source of cash is to do delivery missions within the same system. Get yourself a fast ship (eg the start Eagle or a Talon), remove everything except autopilot and atmospheric shielding (or for Brianetta mode remove the autopilot too) and tour the system running every delivery you can. With your ship empty you'll go faster and should be able to make money from nearly all of them.

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

you could try this

I have been trading and there are problems at this time, at least in some systems, not really checked every single one mind

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2365

while that does work, those systems are bugged, with a very annoying tradeship error

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/513

so right now, some systems aren't good for trading full stop, I've not traded in the same system, but I guess that is possible, but I would be careful at this moment in time, I should have mentioned this in my other post

as long as you don't save and load, (at least in the windows build) the game is stable, as I was able too last night nearly do two game years worth of trading,

however due to another annoying, bug

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/60

this got me

so my best advice is, get to the medium distance to the station and manually fly the ship in, some ships seem more effected then others, and also seems to be different stations, / orbits that seem to effect this

but anyway, trading is possible like I said, just a few very annoying bugs to watch out for when you do trade,

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 52