Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 13 / 52

Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

That all said, I doubt that any of those perpetrators would have started off by approaching the community. Zych came here and asked, which is much more community involvement than might have been given. That's the right way to start, and definitely the way to begin the journey toward s2odan's elusive "good example."

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Mmmm, that is a good point Brianetta, certainly it makes me feel better after reading yours and the others posts. I was just worried when I first heard of this issue, that (apart from possible legal entanglements) it might cause divisive differences within the Pioneer community too. I would hate to see that. However, there seems to be a consensus now that it would or could be a good thing. So,.......Alert status green

ReplyQuote
thefranklin
(@thefranklin)
Petty Officer Registered

s2odan wrote:
does anyone have an example of when it actually works? IE company appears, forks project, commits their changes into the main repository, changes are pulled into project..... they sell their 'product' however they adhere to the law.

Apple did so with the FreeBSD project. Massively, including hiring FreeBSD developers.

I'm not so familiar with everything else in the open source world, but Leonard Richardson has a pretty good job thanks to Canonical redistributing Linux.

The gaming world is going to be slow to adopt the principles of open source, but it may eventually (if Sony goes out of business).

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

BSD has a far more commercially friendly license. There's absolutely no obligation whatsoever to contribute all (or even any) of your changes back to the public. Apple couldn't have done what they did with BSD, with Linux.

Having said that, though, Apple did contribute some changes back - including the Darwin project. It's not a whole lot of use to anybody just yet, but that's mere detail.

ReplyQuote
thefranklin
(@thefranklin)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
BSD has a far more commercially friendly license. There's absolutely no obligation whatsoever to contribute all (or even any) of your changes back to the public. Apple couldn't have done what they did with BSD, with Linux.

Having said that, though, Apple did contribute some changes back - including the Darwin project. It's not a whole lot of use to anybody just yet, but that's mere detail.

Apple was also under no particular obligation to provide anything back to the FreeBSD project, yet they did.

I also didn't mention Juniper & Yahoo, who've done much (Yahoo's almost entirely in 1997-2004, RIP).

Additionally, we have the history of Unix itself, which was an example of open source succeeding (and corporations feeding code back into a project) before even the coinage of the term "open source". That the corporations later closed the source is a footnote, but Unix (and the Berkley Systems Distribution) gave us the foundation for open source.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

thefranklin wrote:
Apple was also under no particular obligation to provide anything back to the FreeBSD project, yet they did.

That was the gist of my post, yes.

If they'd used a GPL project as their basis, they would have been obliged to provide all of their derived work back to the public. The reason I'm mentioning this, is because we're trying to draw a parallel between commercial involvement in Pioneer, and commercial involvement in other projects. Anything under a BSD license gives a poor comparison. In the case of Apple, there's no chance they would have got involved with a GPL project.

I'm having a hard time finding any strong examples of commercial involvement in the development of a GPL project, where that GPL project isn't entirely owned by the commercial entity (as is the case with, for example, MySQL). The only one that crops up is Canonical, with their adoption of Debian and the release of its fork, Ubuntu, back to the public. That is a particularly fine example, though!

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

keep pioneer development going open source and all clear sunny skies ahead

ReplyQuote
MiMoriarty
(@mimoriarty)
Crewman Registered

Hi,

I've been playing Piooner few days and I can not get involved in any fighting with pirates 😕 . The universe is not very populated Piooner except large ships cargo ships around the spaceports and stations. Is it something that will change as and when playing and trading?

I also find it somewhat strange hyperspace jumps, does not require too many days of normal time ❓ ?

Best regards,

MiMoriarty

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Welcome to the forum MiMoriarty! Always happy to see a new face! 🙂

MiMoriarty wrote:
I've been playing Piooner few days and I can not get involved in any fighting with pirates 😕 . The universe is not very populated Piooner except large ships cargo ships around the spaceports and stations. Is it something that will change as and when playing and trading?

There are pirates, but right now our AI is not smart enough to hunt you down. This will improve in time.

Quote:
I also find it somewhat strange hyperspace jumps, does not require too many days of normal time ❓ ?

Jump duration is dependent on a number of factors, including distance, size of drive, size of ship, amount of cargo, and a few other minor points. We've found it to be reasonably balanced. Can you be more specific about what you see and what you expect?

ReplyQuote
MiMoriarty
(@mimoriarty)
Crewman Registered

Hi robn, many thankx for your answer.

Quote:
There are pirates, but right now our AI is not smart enough to hunt you down. This will improve in time.

I'll look forward to have some fun on that side. 😀

Quote:
Jump duration is dependent on a number of factors, including distance, size of drive, size of ship, amount of cargo, and a few other minor points. We've found it to be reasonably balanced. Can you be more specific about what you see and what you expect?

I've often agreed to carry small packages and i have been unable to reach the destination system in the deadline anytime. Maybe I was always late because I reach the origin station too late from the time the mission was scheluded?

MiMoriarty

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

yes I understand what you mean, some of the dealines do seem to be very strict, however there might be a few reasons for this, one is that the game is still in alpha, and B the game isn't really in SP balancing, I think once the game is in beta, stuff like this can be worked on, the other problem is, there are too few populated stars, which doesn't help matters either, but again this will probably change later once factions and other stuff get added,

the last thing, is the ship size, hyperdrive and weight of the ship, (how much its carrying) also milatary drives are faster, (but have pros can cons for using them) I think once the game is in beta and SP balancing gets underway stuff will change or be refined farther, as the game is still not really in a playable state at the moment, well you can play it, but theres not much to do in game, unless you do get a bigger ship / faster,

Im sure this will change, but the game is still very early, you have to remember that

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I think there really need to be a LOT more ships flitting around on their own errands.

It would make the place seems a lot more alive.

Right now it's as though the human race has spread out amongst the stars and then almost died out! 😆

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
fluffyfreak wrote:
Right now it's as though the human race has spread out amongst the stars and then almost died out! 😆

Right now they are all waiting at home for Elite 4

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

s2odan wrote:
fluffyfreak wrote:

Right now they are all waiting at home for Elite 4

then they will be in for a very long wait, you will have better chance waiting for pioneer to finished then seeing an elite 4 😀

ReplyQuote
durandal
(@durandal)
Petty Officer Registered

MiMoriarty wrote:
I've often agreed to carry small packages and i have been unable to reach the destination system in the deadline anytime. Maybe I was always late because I reach the origin station too late from the time the mission was scheluded?

Because you need right ship and equipment for that job and some brain to calculate if you can reach destination in time.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

MiMoriarty wrote:
Quote:

The start ship is pretty much incapable of making jumps in time to complete deliveries. The Eagle needs a class 2 drive to be useful. The best way to start the game is to run in-system deliveries until you can afford one. You could also sell unneeded equipment (missiles) to make up the difference.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

durandal wrote:
MiMoriarty wrote:

Because you need right ship and equipment for that job and some brain to calculate if you can reach destination in time.

That's always been tricky though due to the in-system travel time. I've arrived well ahead of schedule sometimes but then taken days to cross the whole bloody system. Whereas I've arrived late in others and still made it.

Although to be certain, a viper with a class military drive will always see you arrive in time... almost f@#king anywhere 😆

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the options screen accessible from the startup menu?

It seems like it would make sense to be able to configure Pioneer before loading it, especially if you changed a setting and can no longer safely load the game.

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

yeah that would be a good idea, might be worth adding that to the issue tracker 😉

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Gudadantza wrote:
Hi all, I have a question about module translations.

Into data subfolders there are *.lua archives, ok. For example: (modules/Assasination/translation.lua)

Is enough adding the new langage translation lines under the english lines? The polski translation appears to be in this way under the engligh lines.

And then, should I send the archives to somebody? It seems there is not option to translate modules in the github for now.

Greetings!

Yes, add the translated lines somewhere after the English ones. English must come first, otherwise it will crash.

Info can be found here.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Gudadantza wrote:
Do the file need to be saved in any text format?

Yes. They need to be UTF-8.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

If you need a UTF-8 capable text editor then I suggest Notepad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Hope it is useful.

Also if anyone is looking for a general Windows based text editor then Notepad++ is just generally awesome with syntax highlighting etc and has LOADS of plugins available.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I have notepad++ too although personally I prefer using Notepad2 : http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html Its pretty similar though...

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

I got the files. The Spanish was properly encoded, but somehow you broke the Polish and German translations in there. I merged your lines alone into the files I already had.

I've never used Notepad++. I'm not sure why you would want to, when Vim is available for Windows... (-:

ReplyQuote
hansolo0
(@hansolo0)
Crewman Registered

Apologies if this was asked already, I couldn't find a thread. Well done on the game so far. I was playing alpha 13 build before, and tried 14 and 15 which just came out, and neither will load my game saves from 13. It says ' game can't be loaded because there were errors'. Am I forced to start over? I'd worked up to getting a pretty good ship.... 😥

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 52