Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 3 / 52

Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

elgeo wrote:
dont suppose you could make it an online mmo could you?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There's too many of those already.. sorry I just hate online games.. not that it's up to me though 😳

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered

Subzeroplainzero wrote:
elgeo wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There's too many of those already.. sorry I just hate online games.. not that it's up to me though 😳

thats my opinion too, pioneer should remain a single player game. in mmo's the seriousness and atmosphere is always getting destroyed by people having stupid names doing non-sense. Really, that would kill the spirit here.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

mathee wrote:
pioneer should remain a single player game. in mmo's the seriousness and atmosphere is always getting destroyed by people having stupid names doing non-sense. Really, that would kill the spirit here.

Here here, I second that! This is starting to remind me of a post I made on the Frontier Forum 😉 http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1851

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Quote:

Come on be serious, Pioneer is never going to be an MMO.

I'll eat a hat with those words printed on them if it ever hapens, which it won't 🙂

That thread is funny Geraldine... Guys if you havent already, give that thread a read over it will make you laugh 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

After reading that thread, I just had to make a pic of my own 😆

[attachment=405:mob1.jpg]

[attachment=406:mob2.jpg]

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered

It might be hard to make Pioneer multi-player since the code is very single-player oriented.

If anyone wanted to do it, they would be better starting from scratch, borrowing planet rendering code, gui code and some other bits and bobs. I'm sure the engine would have to be very different though. (So that is an almost categorical no 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

tomm wrote:
So that is an almost categorical no 🙂

Thank goodness for that Tomm! 🙂 And glad you enjoyed that thread S20dan 😉

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Well, ermm.. sorry but would love to see multiplayer 😳 .

Not in the form of an MMO but i.m.o multiplayer games can be a lot of fun with a bunch of serious players and/or friends. But I know multiplayer probably won't be an option for Pioneer. It's way too complicated and I think focusing on the singleplayer game is a difficult enough task already. I'd rather see a well polished single player Pioneer than a half ass multiplayer one.

But I hate MMO's with hundreds of n00b players as much as you guys. It's just that a 16 or 32 player server would be nice or the option to start a ip game with a friend. I play ArmA II Warfare almost everyday and host a Warfare server myself. It's the most entertaining game experience ever, i.m.o. ;). No AI can play like a real flesh and blood player. But Pioneer doesn't have the gameplay options to make multiplayer interesting (yet) but it would be nice if I could hang around in space with somebody else. But given the enormous distances you have to travel, it would be very hard to catch up with each other, especially since you need time acceleration to get anywhere soon and timeacceleration and online gameplay is practically impossible. You'd need jumpgates in that case and jumpgates would take away all the fun of spacetravel. Or you'd need interplanetary jumpdrives to get anywhere fast. Or you'd have to keep your skirmishes and other multiplayer activities in one or two systems only if you don't want to spend 1 week of travelling just to meet somebody.

But before all you Pioneer fans come to my place to burn my house down, let me make one thing clear: I HATE MMO's! I do like small scale, 32 players max. multiplayer teamwork and warfare but I don't think it's necessary to focus attention on multiplayer for Pioneer right now. It's a small indy game and even though a very, very good one, we can't expect one guy to code a complete multiplayer space/warfare/trade sim. Let alone an MMO. I'm afraid it would become an endless work in progress (a la Infinity).

Bottomline: I think if there would be more AI traffic (so you won't feel so alone) and more gameplay stuff added, singleplayer Pioneer will be entertaining enough.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

Ok lets seperate this an online MMO no

Multiplayer ie LAN or internet servers allowing 16-32 on a private server is a bit different.

Id like to see limited server potential well in a form of a similiar game

MMO no done enough of those

SIngle player version of pioneer looks good

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I'm having trouble doing that. I followed the instructions, the same one that allowed me to successfully install it in 7.0, but Pioneer starts with the error message that it can't find woods_0.lua. I can't find that file in alpha 7.0 and it works fine. I copied the "blank" folder over to 7.5 too, due to another error message, but I'm now stumped. Any thoughts anyone?

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Stations should copy straight over, but ships need a slight edit.

What you are missing is a file that defines the woods_0 model and many other ones. My guess is that it would be in the sub-models folder but be careful overwriting the whole folder, just make sure you pick the one you need to copy.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Quote:
What you are missing is a file that defines the woods_0 model and many other ones. My guess is that it would be in the sub-models folder but be careful overwriting the whole folder, just make sure you pick the one you need to copy.

I thought that too, but I can't find woods_0 in my alpha 7 instillation, and that works fine with city3k.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

You seem to be missing a file with woods_0 in it, not a file called woods_0, the name could be anything, you just need to look harder for the right file and copy it over from alpha 7. PM Potsmoke and ask him where the files are kept in his addons that define woods_0, but I would guess its the submodels folder.

Or just think back to which of P66 addons you aren't using and check if its included with them.

I downloaded Cities 3K just to check and it does not contain that file, or any other .lua file except the main station one. It doesn't matter which version of Pioneer you installed that on, it would not work. The file is in a different package you will just have to figure out which one as I have no idea. Sorry.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

No problem, thanks for your input. I did a Windows search of my working alpha 7 and couldn't find it, so I'm stymied. I may have to do without city3k for a while.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

No, thats not what its called. You will have to do some deductive reasoning to work out what file is likely to contain it.

EG taking missiles as an example. There are models called m_unguided, m_guided ect ect that the ships themselves call in the lua and use as missiles, just like how the station is calling woods_0 model.

However you will not find a file called m_unguided anywhere because it does not exist.

But you will find a file called missile and inside that file is the information for those models.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Thanks s2odan! (I just realized that I've been spelling your name"s20dan" sorry about that!) I guess it's .lua time for me! I've got some clues from the red screen of death. I'll figure it out eventually, but by then we'll be at alpha 8 and the whole galaxy will change again! 😆

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Well with any luck P66 could chime in and inform you of where the file actually is to save you the time. Since it is his file that your missing anyway.

P66... any ideas?

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

p66 mighjt be out of town what about a text search in each of the files that might turn something up

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Quote:
what about a text search in each of the files that might turn something up

That's what I'm going to do, but it will be a couple of days before I can get to it. It's strange, because I tried it with and without copying p66's sub-models folder. I'm probably just doing something stupid.

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

I have a little question. Why you guys haven't yet posted in indiedb that little neat video I saw in youtube? The one with the baby counting for launch? Aren't you guys interested in Indie of the year? Cause this game can be a nominee imo. Needs better presentation in the site. Presentation is key! 😀

ReplyQuote
Jonathonr31
(@jonathonr31)
Crewman Registered

Hello all

First post here, i would like to say to the development team you are unbelieveably awesome taking on this legendary game after having a mess around with versions 7.0 and 7.5 the memory of the times playing this gaming has come back and its now better than ever so great job :).

I was wondering if there were any active ingame debug tools to help users with the game ?

ie: short cut keys that may increase/decrease the amount of cash we recieve so we can test out ships that are more expensive along with the ship equipment that is available at that stage of the play through.

Thanks again for remaking this game it really is amazing to play this game again 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

when youre docked dont open up the info screen re missions etc just on the docking screen press crtl+m gives u i think 1 million credits repeat for more

ReplyQuote
Jonathonr31
(@jonathonr31)
Crewman Registered

Thanks alot ollobrain much appreciated. 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

im not sure on any others like free fuel there is a jumpdrive less ultra expensive ship coming into game soon ( TM ) prbably alpha 8 or 9 but cant confirm.

THe devs might be able to post a full list of debug-cheats

ReplyQuote
bonvoyage
(@bonvoyage)
Crewman Registered

Hello everyone this is my first post, 😀

I was just wondering if you guys could implement sky scenery , space debris, and Rare meteor collisions with the planets

for example, if you land on a barren planet,it would be astonishing if you where just sitting around enjoying the view of shooting stars, and BOOM a random meteor or asteroid hit the planet that your on, a phenomena like this would make me jizz my pants,

p.s im sorry if this is to demanding

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 52