Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 9 / 52

Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered

Now that the alpha12 is out, are the roll keys still disabled when using the mouse for turning around?

I clearly remember that this was not an issue in older alphas. I hope this will get fixed soon.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Does the Pioneer community ever think the game could have an XBox friendly version? I dont mean the 360 (too many legal hassles and whatnot), but say running on a modded original Xbox with it's standard OS having been replaced with something like XBMC?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Does the Pioneer community ever think the game could have an XBox friendly version? I dont mean the 360 (too many legal hassles and whatnot), but say running on a modded original Xbox with it's standard OS having been replaced with something like XBMC?

Yes, actually. I don't have an XBox but I bought an XBox stick in anticipation. I think it could be quite a natural control mechanism, but we'd need to rework the UI a bit to support it as you don't want to be rushing to the keyboard or mouse for every other function. Some radial menus would probably be nice.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thats interesting news robn. Modding old X Boxs has become popular these days, so I am sure there will be people out there who will be glad to hear that there could be a possibility of one day seeing Pioneer running on them. 🙂

For me personally, mouse control will always be my favourite, but it would be nice to have options. 😉

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

robn wrote:
Geraldine wrote:

Yes, actually. I don't have an XBox but I bought an XBox stick in anticipation. I think it could be quite a natural control mechanism, but we'd need to rework the UI a bit to support it as you don't want to be rushing to the keyboard or mouse for every other function. Some radial menus would probably be nice.

I don't think we'll get it running in 64MB of ram without trashing the terrain stuff at the least.

But adding pad control to the current version shouldn't be difficult at all.

The PS3/Xbox360 would be better targets and they're already ~7 years old.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes you are correct fluffy freak, you would be looking at lower detail level and yes the PS3/360 would be more capable, but to bring out Pioneer on these platforms involves signing agreements with Sony & Microsoft respectively to port the game. I guess for a free open source project like this, that would not be a realistic option, at least for now. This was why I suggested modded X Box 1s only

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Only if you're doing it officially. There's Xbox360 and PS3 homebrew as well.

My point however was more that the original Xbox is more than a decade old, even it's successor is long in the tooth. If you pick up an nVidia ION based platform (now itself be retired) you'll have hardware that's dozens of times more powerful.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Quote:

Yes, actually. I don't have an XBox but I bought an XBox stick in anticipation.

Hang on... Are you saying : Put it *on* XBOX, Or Play with it on PC *with* Xbox pad?

Because I honestly don't ever see this being ported to the 360... Not that I wouldn't use it, I have a 360 or the old dust catcher as I call it 🙂

Why don't we make a snes version? s20dan snickers 😉 Snes roms FTW.... 😆

Pioneer in Mode7 YEAH!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

The idea was only for modded Xboxs s2odan. Their new replacement OSs are much closer to what you would find in a PC in that, you can configure them. Even then you would still have to think about how you would actually control the game, so big changes would have to be made. Such a thing could only exist after the Mac, PC and Linux versions were finished, as the game as momentum now and long may it continue! 🙂 Although some I am sure, would not mind playing the game on their PCs with a controller.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

s2odan wrote:
Quote:

Yes, actually. I don't have an XBox but I bought an XBox stick in anticipation.

Hang on... Are you saying : Put it *on* XBOX, Or Play with it on PC *with* Xbox pad?

I meant play with an XBox pad - I have no interest at all in XBox port. On the other hand, if the interface was already built for use with a gamepad then it makes porting it a much more compelling project for an interested hacker.

Quote:
Why don't we make a snes version? s20dan snickers 😉 Snes roms FTW.... 😆

Pioneer in Mode7 YEAH!

Sort of related, I had a bit of an idea for a "Pocket Pioneer" for DS (or I guess iPhone/Android), which is mostly just a glorified modelviewer so you can look at ship stats on your phone. No game in there, just a bit of fun. I think of lots of things that will never happen though 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

2d pocket pioneer lol

ReplyQuote
highlander
(@highlander)
Petty Officer Registered

s2odan wrote:
Pioneer in Mode7 YEAH!

Already been done - it's called "Elite", I hear it's getting quite popular 😆

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

lol

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Quote:
Already been done - it's called "Elite", I hear it's getting quite popular

Good point hehe. There was actually a NES version wasn't there?

Quote:
I had a bit of an idea for a "Pocket Pioneer" for DS (or I guess iPhone/Android), which is mostly just a glorified modelviewer so you can look at ship stats on your phone.

😀 We think alike my good man. I have similar Dreams/Nightmares hehe.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Just the other day someone was telling that instead of getting another coding job (yes i'm an unemployed bum! 😀) I should look into writing Android Apps, not sure this is quite what they had in mind!

ReplyQuote
lee
 lee
(@lee)
Crewman Registered

Hi,

having a mission to deliver something to Eagles Nest in Epsilon Eridani, I tried to dock at the station and found that I can't. The autopilot only takes the ship close to the station, and flying into it manually doesn't get me docked, either. They gave me docking clearance and told me I should dock at bay 1.

Is docking at this station currently not possible, or am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That looks like a bug to me. Its good you reported it as it all helps to bring in a list of new fixes that need to be done for the next alpha. 😉

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I just started a new game at Epsilon Eridani and docked at Eagle's Nest. My speculation, based on no examination of the script, is that Eagle's nest may have been full up. Random ships are generated in the starports. Sometimes even when not on a mission you are unable to dock for this reason. The mission script might not have the ability to handle such a situation. If you saved your game before you jumped into the system, try it again and see if it works. If you saved a game in the system, go up to the station, stop and use external view. You can pan and zoom around to see inside the station. It holds two ships. I don't think the code is implemented for the ships to leave yet. And of course, my idea could be totally wrong. 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

so maybe to do such missions the coding for ships leaving station needs to be finished first.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

The current trade ship module doesn't try to make ships launch ever. Its a known shortcoming. There is work in progress to improve the trade ship module but its not ready yet.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

ah ok but it is coming along that is good to hear at leats

ReplyQuote
Robsoie
(@robsoie)
Petty Officer Registered

robn wrote:
Bugbear1973 wrote:
I'm doing a lucrative package run to Callisto Spaceport in the AD Leonis system. I'm now sitting outside the station. I've requested docking clearance but the station master is telling me 'Cleance denied. There are no free docking bays.'

OK, fair enough, it's good to see some signs of life appearing in the universe.

My question, though, is how long do I need to wait for docking clearance. I can only get 10x time acceleration due to the proximity to the planet, which again is fair enough.

Right now they never leave. The TradeShips module right now spawns a few ships inside stations and a few more out space and sets them to fly to stations. Once they get there they stop. I intend to have something a bit more fluid for alpha 10. For now if they're really messing up your game you can delete/move data/modules/TradeShips.lua and they won't spawn.

Hello,

Is this problem fixed in alpha 12 ?

I ask because i'm in front of a station that tell me the same thing, no free docking bays, it's been a while i'm waiting in front of it, and the ship that is inside has not left the station, i just can't get docked there.

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

Robsoie wrote:
Is this problem fixed in alpha 12 ?

No.

Edit: here is the tracker issue

ReplyQuote
Devious
(@devious)
Crewman Registered

Hi

i just recently stumbled upon the pioneer project and i'm truly amazed! If anyone of the developers are reading this i just want to say that your work is amazing! and, keep it up! Pleeeeaaase :).

Anyway. a couple of days ago i downloaded the alpha12 build for my mac and i'm learning it. I watched videos on youtube from previous builds with totally amazing graphics! High mountains, deep valleys. Beautiful environments!

Well, although I have a high end macbook pro 2011 and choose "very very good" on all graphic options n stuff. I get a pretty crappy blurry environment on the planets.

Is there any difference between the mac and the PC versions? Or is there any graphic patch that I should download or something?

Cheers

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

good job all round game is atm graphics heavy but content and gameplay lite so that i think is where they are going amoung other things

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 52