Notifications
Clear all

Plans for alpha 11


ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 564
Topic starter  

Dont anyone chew me out for this thread but whats the aims and focuses and the way forward for alpha 11 ( and feel free to discuss as well) no one had started the thread so figured i would.


Quote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1035
 

Per the development model, alpha 11 is due for release on 10 June, with feature freeze on 3 June, so we have about ten days left in which new features can be added. The changelog tracks what has been done so far.

As you can see, alpha 11 is very much about bugfixes and a visual refresh. The only immediate work I have planned for alpha 11 is to get Friendly's new panel graphics merged. I have the final version of it with all the necessary trimmings in my inbox, which I intend to merge in the next day or two.

The only other thing I'm working on right now is a rewrite of the station menu system, but that's all internal stuff that won't have any appearance changes (yet), and I'm not sure I'll make it in time for alpha 11 anyway.

I don't know what Philbywhizz, s20dan and others have planned for the next week. Mostly its been pretty quiet; we're all snowed under with other things right now.

Also do take a look at the issue tracker - as you'll see, there's no shortage of ideas and bugs 🙂


ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 564
Topic starter  

taking a look at the alpha 11 changlog a few thoughts

Starports contributing population - how many classes how much population from each ( good for future enhancements)

Hyperdrive layout changes also a very good idea all round good to see lots of internal stabilising fixes i likey


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1035
 
ollobrain wrote:
Starports contributing population - how many classes how much population from each ( good for future enhancements)

Right now it adds 100 million people per station, because I screwed up - it was supposed to be ten thousand, and I'll fix it tonight. There was no particular reason behind it other than to make sure that a starport always means some population for scripts. One day we'll have a more controlled, rule-based way of producing population and resources and it will all be revisited then.


ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 171
 

Just so you know, I've pretty much completed the facegen stuff and am now adding in a few cool accessories and tidying up some of the more scrappy looking stuff. I'll submit the whole lot to s2odan within 2 days, and if the good man is willing it should be implemented before the next alpha 🙂


ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Joined: 54 years ago
Posts: 0
 

I'm currently not planning anything major for the Alpha11 release (I've been smashed with 'work' stuff). However I have been spending the time looking at how the models work (like the new ground spaceports in alpha10). I'd like to have a link between the size of the starport linked with the population (Rob and I were discussing this on IRC the other night). I've even started looking at how the city is generated and how we can use different types of buildings. (I read somewhere having different style of buildings depending on governement type, or atmosphere, etc).

I've got lots of ideas, but have yet to implement any of it at this stage...


ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 1212
 
Quote:
I'm currently not planning anything major for the Alpha11 release (I've been smashed with 'work' stuff).

Pretty much the same here. I was at the least hoping to do something with all the new icons that have been created lately (Vamp's and firemark's). Maybe add some more variation to system info view seelctions.

Quote:
I've even started looking at how the city is generated and how we can use different types of buildings. (I read somewhere having different style of buildings depending on governement type, or atmosphere, etc).

m_volatileGasses will be your friend 😉 And perhaps m_atmosOxidity, I believe > 0.8 gives an Oxygen atmo.

Quote:
Just so you know, I've pretty much completed the facegen stuff and am now adding in a few cool accessories and tidying up some of the more scrappy looking stuff. I'll submit the whole lot to s2odan within 2 days, and if the good man is willing it should be implemented before the next alpha 🙂

Cool. I look forward to it 🙂


ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 564
Topic starter  

population scripts are a good idea and yeah gives something to work with that and maybe the epidemics ( i might propose a baby boom and good food supply affecting population growth) so u got some negative and some positive factors


ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 1188
 

As for myself, I've got a slightly better version of the nice_spacestation that I posted in completed models that still needs a minor tweak or two, but it should be ready in time. I don't think I'll ever totally finish it. I have more ideas than I know what to do with!


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1035
 
Marcel wrote:
As for myself, I've got a slightly better version of the nice_spacestation that I posted in completed models that still needs a minor tweak or two, but it should be ready in time. I don't think I'll ever totally finish it. I have more ideas than I know what to do with!

Just a note for anyone else wanting to contribute to Pioneer. If you want something included, you need to bring it to the direct attention of one of the developers. For code we prefer a Github pull request (see the dev model) but for anything else you should open an issue, post to the mailing list or email or PM a developer directly. Feel free to PM me if you aren't sure.

Posting new work in the forum is still highly encouraged, particularly for game assets that don't require a recompile. This allows others to play and test. These things can be missed though. I personally read nearly every post but its rare that I have time to try new stuff during the day and by the evening my lousy memory has probably forgotten all about it. That's why we really like the issue tracker - everyone can see it (and so work on it), and nothing ever gets lost!


ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 1188
 

Thanks for the directions robn. I have 3 files to add, spacestations.lua plus 2 files for an advert. Should I just throw them all into a pull request with instructions for where they go, or should I put them into a .zip with the proper folder structure? I'm planning to upload tomorrow evening.


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1035
 
Marcel wrote:
Thanks for the directions robn. I have 3 files to add, spacestations.lua plus 2 files for an advert. Should I just throw them all into a pull request with instructions for where they go, or should I put them into a .zip with the proper folder structure? I'm planning to upload tomorrow evening.

Whatever you think makes the most sense. Pull request definitely 🙂


ReplyQuote
Mysibrat
(@mysibrat)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 25
 

I am continuing the exchange of star icons.

Today on my desk are hypergiant class. From left to the right B, A, F, G, K, M.

[attachment=739:star_hypergiant.png]

[attachment=740:object_star_hyper_giant.zip]

Supergiant class will appear somewhere between next wednesday and friday.


ReplyQuote
Mysibrat
(@mysibrat)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 25
 

Ok, the giant class.

[attachment=742:star_giant.jpg]

[attachment=743:object_star_giant.zip]

See you later.


ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 3451
 

This is beautiful, beautiful work Mysibrat! 😯


ReplyQuote
VampiretteDuCosmos
(@vampiretteducosmos)
Petty Officer Registered
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 28
 

The Potsmoke Alpha 10 version is really good. The Earth is very beautiful, I hope that Alpha 11 will be better now that potsmoke Alpha 10 version :p

exemplet.jpg

the potsmoke version is down...


ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 1035
 

Fyi, Mysibrat's giant and hypergiant graphics have been merged and will be in the next dev build and alpha 11.


ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 564
Topic starter  

thats very good news


ReplyQuote