Notifications
Clear all

Running Alpha 15 on Ubuntu

Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi, i'm recently having some problems on my windows machine, so i decided to switch to linux untill i manage out to fix some issues.

So i was trying to play pioneer on my freshly installed ubuntu, but the executable files i from the compressed archive i downloaded, just does nothing.

I tried to run the commands to get the libs by the terminal ( sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2 libfreetype6 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libglew1.6 zlib1g libvorbisfile3 libasound2 ) but it gives me this error:

E: Unable to locate package libglew1.6

E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libglew1.6'

Obviously i am a total linux noob...

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

What version of Ubuntu is this. I'll bet you do have libglew1.5, but it probably won't work because the alpha is built against 1.6. I can probably start building against 1.5 explicitly until systems don't have it anymore.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Ubuntu 10.04 uses version 1.5, and won't ever see an upgrade.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Just checked. Nightlies are built on my server which uses GLEW 1.5. Alpha 14 and 15 are built on my workstation with GLEW 1.6. For various reasons I'm unable to downgrade my workstation, so I'll try to do server builds for alphas from now on.

(I don't usually because my server at home takes 2-3 hours to upload both builds, whereas from work it takes 2-3 minutes. I prefer to do releases during the waking hours so 14 and 15 have been released at work where I don't have to wait around.)

In the meantime, either try a nightly (they're actually significantly more stable than 15), or use these replacement Alpha 15 binaries that are linked against GLEW 1.5:

pioneer-alpha15-glew15 (2 MB, md5sum: 5eec063d1c39e46bede7c0f874014652)

modelviewer-alpha15-glew15 (500 KB, md5sum: b53ae9e9b719fb6fde224ba15da17afe)

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
robn wrote:
Just checked. Nightlies are built on my server which uses GLEW 1.5. Alpha 14 and 15 are built on my workstation with GLEW 1.6. For various reasons I'm unable to downgrade my workstation, so I'll try to do server builds for alphas from now on.

(I don't usually because my server at home takes 2-3 hours to upload both builds, whereas from work it takes 2-3 minutes. I prefer to do releases during the waking hours so 14 and 15 have been released at work where I don't have to wait around.)

In the meantime, either try a nightly (they're actually significantly more stable than 15), or use these replacement Alpha 15 binaries that are linked against GLEW 1.5:

pioneer-alpha15-glew15 (2 MB, md5sum: 5eec063d1c39e46bede7c0f874014652)

modelviewer-alpha15-glew15 (500 KB, md5sum: b53ae9e9b719fb6fde224ba15da17afe)

This actually works!

Btw i have some bad performances, but i think it is a driver problem... now i'm messing up with the catalyst drivers, hoping to get them work properly 🙂

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

While installing the new drivers i probably messed up hard with these, and now i cannot boot ubuntu anymore... 😥

ReplyQuote
thefranklin
(@thefranklin)
Petty Officer Registered

If your machine is at all reasonably fast, building from source is probably as easy, if not easier, than trying to keep up with the various pre-built alphas &/or nightlies.

http://pioneerspacesim.net/wiki/index.p ... ng_pioneer

It takes less than 5 minutes to compile on a 2gHz dual-core amd64 here.

As an aside: judicious use of env(1) in conjunction with the "./configure" & "make" steps is occasionally helpful (CFLAGS is set to " -g -O2" by default. -pipe seems to speed up compilation times here, though I suppose if you're using a nice, fast tmpfs(5) it might not matter as much).

ReplyQuote