Notifications
Clear all

Ships of Pioneer - size comparison

Page 1 / 2

nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

I wanted to check, just how large the ships in the game side by side. So I made this little wallpaper sized simple chart, if anyone's interested. 🙂

Deep Space Miner was behaving strange with blender, so that's left out for now.

I've just lined up them in blender, reseted the size where needed, and then eyeballed these with the model viewers 1m grid to check if they are correct. It seems to be correct, but I'm not really sure about the Wave for example.

shipchart.jpg

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Press "p" in the modelviewer to get some measuring help. Its useful:

RUoHSe9.png

I think your diagram is accurate, but I think our sizes are probably all over the place. Wave is probably too big. Pumpkinseed feels like it should be much bigger. Natrix is one we've had the most discussion about in the past, and we're pretty sure its about the right size (it has a roughly human-sized door on the side).

ReplyQuote
TheBob
(@thebob)
Petty Officer Registered

If that chart is accurate, then the wave seems to be way understocked on cargo space... 😆

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

Yeah, but it's quite flat at the same time, so...

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Wave is very beautiful, but is for pilots very, but very small... or zipped.  :O

ReplyQuote
TheBob
(@thebob)
Petty Officer Registered

Somehow she always seemed to make more sense a bit scaled up as an ASP-equivalent...

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

For me, the originals models of ships are actors playing a character in the story (Mod).

In Scout+, the actor Wave, plays the character "Wave Explorer" and has max_cargo = 90.

Welcome UncleBob had not had a chance to say hello.

ReplyQuote
TheBob
(@thebob)
Petty Officer Registered

No, neither did I. Love what you made out of my little Idea and bugy code, by the way! 

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@nozmajner Have you considered a 120t ship?

I need to carry 10 passengers quickly with a hyperdrive type 4. 🙂

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

There are some things in the works, but nothing too developed on that direction right now. I could make a box though. 😀

ReplyQuote
NiankoSensei
(@niankosensei)
Senior Chief Registered

After the scale of the wave something seems wrong again, first of all kanara need to be rescaled to ½ or 1/3

f-scale522c50d20013e41b.jpg

i have used grid inside modelviewer fo calculation, tell me if i have do something wrong

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

You are right. The Wave had already been shrinked to about 75%, that old chart is off. That's the smallest it can be resized to be able to accommodate a pilot, however uncomfortably.

There's an updated comparison chart on the wiki:

Shipchart.png

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@nozmajner As you imagine the size of the passenger cabin?

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

Something like that: (The larger is the original, smaller is the new size)

scale_comp01.png

scale_comp02.png

It won't be comfortable for sure. The Girl is around 170cm high with a bit funky proportions, but the guy from makehuman is 185cm. And they could even ride the ship like a motorcycle for an even smaller cabin.

The fun thing is that the capacities of the craft were spot on for the rescale.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Very tight! Mola Mola prefer to travel on :))

But, I was referring to Ship equipment > Extra Passenger Cabin (of 5Tons)

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

Oh, I see. I don't think a fighter should have any of those. 😀 Some capsule hotel kind of one might fit if you rotate them so the bottom points toward the engines and the door to the side of the ship:

CapsuleHotel.jpg

I don't think these weight 5 tonnes though.

ReplyQuote
Zordey
(@zordey)
Senior Chief Registered

That is exactly what i was thinking for crew cabins. I think passengers would demand something more luxurious though

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

Maybe there could be different tiers of cabins, so passengers could be picky. Lua equipment might be make it possible, when it arrives.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

i've always think passenger cabins are just Box of sensory insulation , ( maybe some cryo system ?) that explain the weight (5tons) of the system , 

but its not take necessary a large place in the ship ...

ReplyQuote
sapog662
(@sapog662)
Master Chief Registered

I always thought that the Wave - has the size of the Soviet aircraft - TU-160, or even more. I want, what would it be - a large missile launcher.)

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

Since it's name has Fighter in it, I think a smaller size fits it better. Even if it's a heavy.

It seems too big for me if it's as long as a tu-160 (third one, 54m long):

scale_comp03.png

(And this way, the door on the back is way oversized 🙂 Might be too big for a starter ship too ) It's an interesting idea though, but that would at least asks for a rethinking of it's landing gears in my opinion.

I''ve got some sketches for extending this line of ships. The idea is that the manufacturer produces these fighters in the spirit of harley choppers and such.

wave_line.jpg

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

You can't judge the size by the length of the Tu-160 alone. It's shaped like a needle with wings. The Wave is a lifting body with most of the volume in the wings. The scale of the ship should be the size required by the ship's specifications. That's what everyone's trying to do. As for the cockpit, couldn't it be in the middle beneath the hatch-like ovoid in the texture? No physical window, just a view-screen.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

Just a little render of all ships and two upcoming one lined up. 🙂 I was curious, how they all look among each other.

ships0.jpg

You can find the hi res here. (the original is 1920*1080)

ReplyQuote
NiankoSensei
(@niankosensei)
Senior Chief Registered

Nerodia seems a bit too big vs dsminer and dsminer is right vs others, scale down nerodia by 1/5 mek it a just size, but that is only my opinion ...

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)
Topic starter  

I think it's scale is good, but we will see to that when the craft is ready for inclusion.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2