Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] How to play Pioneer What is the point ?

Levan
(@levan)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I have few questions and please do not  judge the topic title harshly.

What I want to know is this, is this game is all about space exploration ?? It's all about creating your own game like building an empire by slowly developing it ?? Starting from delivering packages to becoming a strong figure in this game ?? If this is the case great but I have not gone far in this game and I do not understand the dynamic of this game, and I am asking for help (explanation):

First you get missions that are all about deliver, as I understand the more you progress the better missions you can get but What is the most interesting mission that a person might get ???

There is a lot of things on the market, (I am not talking about ships and its parts I understand what they might be used for) for example different industrial goods, For what can this goods be used for ?? I saw the prices are different in other solar systems so buying selling them is the only function they have in this game or it is more complex than that??

About fighting mechanics the first ship has a blaster or something, I was not able to do anything (fight with police) with it will the future upgrades of the ship make fighting mechanics different ?? or shooting is not an integral part of this game and just a fun add on ??

Thank you very much for your time  

XB7
 XB7
(@xb7)
Petty Officer Registered

No offense taken.  Those are all good questions.  I think to really understand what Pioneer is, you may have to read up on its legacy..

Elite and Frontier Elite.  Check out this link for a reprint of the Frontier Elite manual,  http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.7322 .  The last sentence in the introduction pretty much sums up Pioneer, "Whether on the run or just cruising, feel the tight gyroscopic control.  You'll be so thrilled with the Eagle that you will want to purchase accessories, available from all good Shipyards."

So to make a long story short, it's a sandbox with no real point but to exist and explore.. making some money along the way there to keep your ship in fuel for the next run.

The original Elite manual started out with a novelette where the ship was given to you as an inheritance and it was up to you to make friends with it, explore the universe and be successful at something... anything.

As far as trading commodities, buy cheap.. sell high.  There are a few demographic screens available to help you along the way.  Check out the wiki.   http://pioneerwiki.com/wiki/Manual   Not too sure why you were having issue in battle other than you're outgunned by the police.  You start off with a pretty lousy setup in a real physics environment.  It will take some time to make friends with your ride.

As far as I'm concerned, Pioneer is probably the best modern revision of the Elite legacy.  The new Elite Dangerous will be pretty sweet... but that's more like the original Elite without planetfall.  The beautiful thing about Pioneer its size and scope, but it may be a bit too big if you're used to high energy go, go, go.  That's Elite Dangerous or Oolite.  Pioneer is more like 2001 Space Odessy without Hal to keep you company.

ReplyQuote
Levan
(@levan)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

XB7

Thank you very much for your reply now I look at this game totaly differently and know what to expect from it (at least I belive so)

One more fast question if you do not minde, What heppens if I run out of fule in space ?? Is that game over or I can call 911 or something simmilar get a ride home from some one ??

ReplyQuote
XB7
 XB7
(@xb7)
Petty Officer Registered

XB7

Thank you very much for your reply now I look at this game totaly differently and know what to expect from it (at least I belive so)

One more fast question if you do not minde, What heppens if I run out of fule in space ?? Is that game over or I can call 911 or something simmilar get a ride home from some one ??

I'm not sure if distress beacons have been implemented yet or not.  Someone else will have to way in on that.  If you start out on Earth, your rig comes with a Fuel Scoop which you can use to refuel your ship in certain scenarios... which I haven't done yet in pioneer either.  I do some package deliveries before I start exploring.  By the way, your jump drive uses helium for fuel which is different from your ship fuel.  So be sure to pop a few helium crates in your inventory from the commodities screen if you're outfitted with the jump drive.

ReplyQuote
Levan
(@levan)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I'm not sure if distress beacons have been implemented yet or not.  Someone else will have to way in on that.  If you start out on Earth, your rig comes with a Fuel Scoop which you can use to refuel your ship in certain scenarios... which I haven't done yet in pioneer either.  I do some package deliveries before I start exploring.  By the way, your jump drive uses helium for fuel which is different from your ship fuel.  So be sure to pop a few heliums in your inventory if you're outfitted with the jump drive.

Thank you again for the reply,

I have used hydrogin to refule and as far as I understand you need hydrogin to do space jumps.

However I managed to run out of fule in some unknow sollar system 🙂 so I guess that is game over and I should start all over again.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

There's no distress call functionality implemented yet, so you are as good as a brick if you run dry.

You need Hydrogen for both your thrusters and default hyperdrive. If you have a military hyperdrive which uses Military Fuel for interstellar jumps.

You can buy a Fuel Scoop and use it to gather Hydrogen from the atmosphere of a gas giant. That needs some practice to pull it off, but the Sinonatrix should have enough thrust to do it. Use your autopilot to get into a low orbit, then start thrusting retrograde (the X icon on the HUD) until your orbit drops quite low, almost intersecting the ground. Use the orbital map (F2, then F6) to see your orbit. When you get low enough in the atmosphere, the Scoop will start to work automatically. You need to fly fast, head forward and the atmosphere needs to be thick enough. There will be a message telling you how much Hydrogen you gathered.

You have to be careful though, because you might be unable to climb out the atmoshpere if you loose too much speed to the atmosphere. I usually pitch up just enough, so my vertical speed is positive, and concentrate on horizontal velocity to raise my apoapsis out of the atmoshpere first. Especially if you have weaker engines.

Thankfully the Sinonatrix has quite a lot of thrust, and you can practice scooping from smaller giants like Neptun to get the hang of it.

If you are quite low on propellant for your thrusters, than you should transfer the the stuff inot your propellant tanks, so you don't run dry in the worst possible moment, and gather some more for your Hyperdrive.

You might also be carefull with ships that have larger csrgo hold, because the amount of cargo can impact your thrust quite lot, and you can find yourself in a situation where you can't keep up with gravity. In that case turn away your ship from the direction of flight and jetisson some Hydrogen (F3, cardo tab).

Also you can select a Hyperspace target before you dive in and jump out as soon as you gathered enough fuel, if you want to avoid the hassle of escaping the atmosphere. At least until Hyperspace limitations get implemented, which won't let you jump if you are too close to a planet.

Of course you can't do this if you already ran dry though, since you have to maneuver yourself to the gas giant.

Regarding the aim of the game: XB7 said it pretty much. It's a huge sandbox you can fly around in. You can take different kind of missions like taxiing people or running errands, assasinate ot you can just trade. Even smuggle. You can encounter some pirates in some places, and some missions can get you some agressors too. You can do basic mining with a mining laser and a cargo scoop.

There isn't any way to build an empire, buying stations or anything. You are just a guy flying around.

You can also try your hand executing orbital maneuvers old school style. Try doing a hohmann transfer to the Moon for example.

ReplyQuote