Notifications
Clear all

Stars of Constellations

bender
(@bender)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello,

Had taken a look which stars of the constellations can be found in Pioneer. Thereby I tried to figure out how the Pioneer sectors and the equatorial coordinates are connected and therefore I wrote 2 little console-apps and a Calc sheet.

For all who are interested in it, here I've uploaded the files including a short description and the source-code (sorry, I'm not a programmer, so please don't judge too hard but make it better :)). The apps are compiled with VC++2010.

"equa_calc" converts Pioneer sectors into equatorial coordinates and "sector_calc" converts equatorial coordinates into Pioneer sectors.

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Nice, I'll have to take a look at this later.

There's a developers forum as well where you might find more programmers.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

<off_topic>

BTW I tried some days ago to register to the pioneer dev forum, but never received the activation email !

Is forum registration subject to admin approval ? or is it reserved to the pioneer dev team only ?  ❓  ❓

thx in advance

Nev

</off_topic>

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

That activation email gets lost in the aether sometimes. Robn or jpab can activate you in that case, ping them on IRC.

ReplyQuote
bender
(@bender)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello,

I've updated the little console app sector_calc. There was a gap with the case Declination < 0°. Now it's possible to enter RA (") and Declination (") with decimal places and the inner positions (x,y,z) of the Pioneer sector cube for each star are also calculated. For those who want, this will give the complete Pioneer coordinates for adding missing stars to the file bright_stars.lua or for creating a custom system.

The Calc-table needed also some corrections. The values of RA and Declination are expanded. Some stars, yet not included in the Pioneer universe are added. The values of the galactical coordinates are now all from the Hipparcos survey (reduction 2007). Of course, the coordinates in this table are all related to the epoch 2000 and not to 3200. Some off the closer stars will definitely have a remarkable other position in 3200 🙂

Pioneer is a wonderful and fantastic game. Reality isn't the first point, but it's nice to meet some analogies. When I've added Theta Orionis to the bright_stars.lua (see jpeg's in zip-file), I thought OK - Pioneer adds planets, but planets probably can't arise in such a extreme environment of a young Super Giant O star. Pioneer has given this star the shape of a perfect globe, but the high-rate rotation period of this monster will lead to a flattened shape. So in long term, it's better to create extreme stars as a custom system (example Achernar).

@fluffyfreak:

thanks for the hint, I'll see what I can contribute with my restricted skills. At the moment I try to get familiar with LUA.[attachment=2557:Update Calculations.zip]

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

Liking this change will allow some map customisation.  Could be expanded further one would guess via lua

ReplyQuote