Notifications
Clear all

The darkside of the moon isn't what we thought..

shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm sure, here's the proof after they turned it around :

moonstamp.png

They also landed inside the O. :

moonstamp_o.png

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah so you figured out the format, sorry I totally forgot to post the details!

Nice looking moon you've got there though 😉

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Yes I think so..

for type 0  (terran like) write binary data like this :

uint16 width

uint16 height

sint16 heigtmapdata (from image)

for type 1 (moonlike) write binary data like this :

uint16 width

uint16 height

double scalemin

double scalemax

uint16 heigtmapdata (from image)

ReplyQuote
mikehgentry
(@mikehgentry)
Senior Chief Registered

Hehehe... The signature of the Gods...

Did anyone ever read the book Contact, by Carl Sagan? In it...

(spoiler follows, if you're thinking about reading it)

'aliens' left a message deep in the digits of Pi, explaining that they'd created the universe we inhabited and how to build a machine to go and visit them. I always thought that was a brilliant idea...

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Did anyone ever read the book Contact, by Carl Sagan? In it...

I think you need a refresher! (-:

The instructions were not in pi. The instructions were in the radio signal, and the aliens mentioned the anomaly in pi after the machine had been built. They didn't know what the anomaly (an encoded circle) meant, any more than we do.

Of course, since pi is a irrational number, the sequence of digits specified does appear in it somewhere. What scuppers the idea for me is that pi is half the circular constant (almost all maths is simplified by replacing pi with 2.pi), and I would be suspicious of messages from aliens suggesting that they'd made the same fundamental screw-up in basic maths that we did.

ReplyQuote
WaveMotion
(@wavemotion)
Petty Officer Registered

Of course, since pi is a irrational number, the sequence of digits specified does appear in it somewhere. What scuppers the idea for me is that pi is half the circular constant (almost all maths is simplified by replacing pi with 2.pi), and I would be suspicious of messages from aliens suggesting that they'd made the same fundamental screw-up in basic maths that we did.

Yep. We'd likely be much better off looking in tau.

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)

So, OK... how exactly do I make a planet heightmap? I've been flying around Mars looking for something familiar for a few alphas now... forget Olympus Mons, how about a spaceport down in Valles Marineris? A couple cities scattered around the Tharsis Plateau...

Forget Earth... Mars is THE place to show off a terrain engine like Pioneer 🙂

ReplyQuote
mikehgentry
(@mikehgentry)
Senior Chief Registered

I think you need a refresher! (-:

It was about 20 years ago... 🙂

It appears somewhere (an infinite number of times, I suppose...), the question being whether it can be put down to chance given the number of digits examined.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2001-10-25/

I seem to remember the sequence being very long and highly improbable. But I seemed to remember what I said in the previous post too! 🙂

I like the fundamental idea, even if the details were questionable. At least it wasn't in base 10, eh...? 🙂

ReplyQuote