Notifications
Clear all

V-sync option

Pizzi1
(@pizzi1)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all, i am new and this is my first post. 😀

Is there a way to force the v-sync directly into the game?. I have a huge "screen tearing" and I would eliminate it because

for me it 's very annoying, i don t see any vsync option (inside the game) and i have not found any vsync tag or line in the

pioneer config file.

I have already forced vertical sync into my ati graphics driver but i still have this problem again

thanks you for any response

Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

There is currently no such option. But I have submitted a patch so it will probably be in the next release. It will be a .ini option.

Quote:
I have already forced vertical sync into my ati graphics driver but i still have this problem again

This sounds a bit weird though, if it's forced it should work... we'll see if the patch changes it.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

VSync option is now available in the latest nightly: http://twitter.com/#!/pioneerspacesim/s ... 8681672704

Edit your config.ini and set VSync=1 to enable it.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Luomu wrote:
Quote:

This sounds a bit weird though, if it's forced it should work... we'll see if the patch changes it.

Hardly surprising. I can't have AA in Pioneer, even if I force it. I can get AA in glxgears, so it's not like my card just can't do it...

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

This should be nice, thanks! Haven't tried it yet. I only see screen tearing when the ship rotates inside the elevator.

ReplyQuote
Pizzi1
(@pizzi1)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick response 😀 . I have just tested the night build on my 2 pc:

1) atlhon x4 630, 4 giga ram, nvidia 9800: the patch does not work (vsync=1) but forcing the drivers vsync works.

2) athlon x6 bulldozer, 8 giga ram, ati 6750: the patch does not work (vsync=1)

(i have tested all under windows 7)

The patch seems does not work, but for the ati, for me is a drivers issue 😥 (ati = good performance, but bad drivers)

Pioneer is a awesome project if i can help you, testing something i am here.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Pizzi1 wrote:
1) atlhon x4 630, 4 giga ram, nvidia 9800: the patch does not work (vsync=1) but forcing the drivers vsync works.

Make sure vsync is "application controlled" and in the nvidia control panel! Then it should work. I have a 9800 + W7 machine as well, so the results should be the same... My drivers version is 285.62.

uMm42.png

ReplyQuote
Pizzi1
(@pizzi1)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

ops 😳 i have just tested and i have selected "v sync application controlled" option, and now vertical sync seems work well with "vsync=1" in the config file. (work well with nvidia and ati too)

As always well done and thank you Luomu for the hint.

ReplyQuote
Zephyros
(@zephyros)
Petty Officer Registered

wouldn't this cause a framerate drop??

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Zephyros wrote:
wouldn't this cause a framerate drop??

If you're getting more than the v-sync then yes, but you can only see what's being rendered during v-sync anyway. For LCD panels that's typically 60hz (i.e. 60fps) so the game will now render only at that speed and not waste time rendering frames that you won't see anyway 🙂

EDIT: Actually I forgot the caveat - if you're getting LESS than 60fps then yes it will drop the framerate to some multiple of the v-sync rate. So if the v-sync is at 60hz, and you're getting 59fps, it will drop down to 30fps and display each frame for typically 2hz. You can suffer "pinging" or "lurch" because of this where the framerate oscilates rapidly between 60 and 30 fps but if that happens... just turn it back off 😉

ReplyQuote