Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 1 / 10

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Most people on the planet knows about the Coronavirus that is currently active in several places over the world with the majority of the cases being in China ( https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-wuhan-coronavirus-maps.html ). As of this post there was just over 900 dead and 40000+ infected around the world.

In general the virus seems to be be most harmful to people with weakened immune systems which makes sense. This seems to be a airborne virus that has a gestation period of almost 5-10days before you start showing symptoms. Right there that is the toughest part about this virus is detecting it, because once you show symptoms you have already may have spread it to many people you have come in contact with.

Obviously this is causing panic in certain parts of the world, I have seen a few leaked videos coming out of China with streets just empty in Wuhan, and Wuhan has several million people. I have read reports were people are barricading possibly infected people in their homes and people are being gathered up.

I know my biggest question is how did this virus come to be? Because according to the CDC this is a NEW virus. I doubt highly it was from a fish market as early reports stated. There is a few conspiracy theories out there, especially since Wuhan has a Viral Institute there. There has been leaked reports that possible infected is a lot higher than what is being stated by the press....

According to the news they are averaging 500 cases a day...  that's a lot in my opinion... because who knows who these people may have interacted with before they were diagnosed.... because the big issue in spreading this is the fact that it possibly airborne

Its getting a lot of news here in the USA, but the impact of the virus here is basically nothing. Countries and China have done a pretty decent job about locking down the country. Do you have any thoughts, theories or concerns about the Coronavirus? I have my suspicions about this one, a new virus that has spread quiet quickly they we really don't know much about.....

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by DarkOne

Topic Tags
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Reports I've seen from certain sites indicate the virus has been altered, specifically DNA from the AIDS virus has been artificially spliced to four separate locations within the sequence. I've also seen reports showing the total deaths at a little over 35K. 

Does it make sense that the government there would shut down its economy and quarantine 400 million people over 900 deaths? 

This has all the markings of a bio-weapon that was accidentally released before it could be completed, hence the lack of an antidote and the reaction we are seeing. I so hope I am wrong on this.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Not seem any mention of bio weapons but I doubt the chinses are telling us the whole story and the hysterics from the media is not helping.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

but I doubt the chinses are telling us the whole story and the hysterics from the media is not helping

I can't express in words how much I agree with that!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

All I'd say is be very careful where you get your news and views. The internet is fast turning into a cesspit!

On the positive side - the world can only support about a billion people, so we need to lose 6-7 billion.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered. I also have heard there was some issues with the biological makeup of this virus. There is over 11mil people in Wuhan, that's more than the whole Northeast of the USA for the most part. We probably have more deaths in that same time span from non-virus means and we wouldn't cease operations, travel or whatever over 900 dead.... there is something wrong.

I have seen some pretty serious pictures.... why all the hype and media attention? CDC estimates that there is 12000 to 60000 deaths per year for the flu. We just have commercials about getting flu shot every year... so why is China shutting borders, shutting down schools, closing factories and creating hospitals at a mass rate.

This was more than likely something that got out and no one wants to admit it because the Chinese people would want someones head.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

On the positive side - the world can only support about a billion people, so we need to lose 6-7 billion.

Thats why I live on space station 🤣 

Note to self, check the air recyclers and filters 🙂

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Some more information coming from the "fight club" of the internet. Granted a lot of what they publish is questionable but their latest article looks like it may have some substance to it. Basically they are claiming that there a lot more dead than being reported by corroborating with crematorium operators. They also claim that the government there is going out of its way to capture and punish anyone that questions the official numbers and narrative. Coming from a place with a "social score" for its citizens, I can't lend any credibility to the Chinese authorities, their numbers, or anything related as to the source of the virus.

What was that saying? "If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck"

This post was modified 4 years ago by Gaius Konstantine

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Interestingly enough, the Chinese have reclassified some cases and are now reporting a much higher total number of cases and deaths. Meanwhile the U.S. gov't is beginning to doubt the Chinese numbers...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well they could have just read a little or watched videos on the internet to figure that out.

I been hearing stories about how they classify sick people 'for the numbers' where they don't actually count them as infected until they show symptoms or pass a test that takes days to show results. That can be a problem, especially if more and more people are catching it and passing it. Nevermind that now they are saying it can take up to 24 days to show symptoms. The daily death toll doubled to over 250 dying in one day.

Of course China is embarrassed any government would be. But they really need to come clean and allow the nations of the world to help them, because if this gets worse for them and the world finds out they were really hiding things from everyone their whole country will suffer huge economical and social fallout. 

China is jailing people who are trying to get information out. They don't understand how this makes them look to outsiders looking in.... it just screams cover up. I hope they can get this under control because the press is just plastering this all over and amping up the populous.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @sscadmin

China is jailing people who are trying to get information out. They don't understand how this makes them look to outsiders looking in.... it just screams cover up. I hope they can get this under control because the press is just plastering this all over and amping up the populous.

That I believe is the result of an autocratic form of government married with the Chinese penchant of "saving face"

When perception and appearances matter more than lives, the result can get ugly and things can easily spiral out of control. A serious change in strategy is warranted here, however I do not think that the authorities have the foresight or intestinal fortitude for that. It is truly a pity that lives are being cut short and I am saddened by this state of affirs

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Oh of course they are trying to save face and save their economy, they have injected almost 5 trillion yuan. Many companies all over the world are starting to see why manufacturing needs to be in more countries than just one.... I heard that auto purchases dropped 96% in China... that is hugh for a 1+ billion person population, these big companies hate loosing money so changes will be made to remedy this. This will effect the world economy very soon and people may want to start paying attention to the impact of this virus on the economies of the world.

Hearing that the virus is starting to show up more in Korea, Iran in Europe and USA. Who knows much this could be spreading to be honest, with that cruise ship there was about 650 people that were infected. 

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Many companies all over the world are starting to see why manufacturing needs to be in more countries than just one

Yes, it's already having an impact on this island I'm staying at, everything is imported and most of that from China. We are seeing supply disruptions, (although not severe yet), in multiple sectors.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Many companies all over the world are starting to see why manufacturing needs to be in more countries than just one.

<nods> This should've been obvious, but in too many companies the beancounters hold sway!

Perhaps some good will come of it - short term pain for longer term gain. But prices will rise!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Reading the news in this world is really shocking and makes me think that we are doomed as a society.... I need to really live on a space station 🙂 The press really needs to stop reporting news on this... more people die every day of choking on their food in the USA (14 people a day avg) than this virus has killed, but the press is framing this like the 4 horseman of the apocalypse is coming 😉

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-spreads-one-study-predicts-101552222.html

Just a small tidbit.... In the USA we have over 2.5mil people per year die of natural causes, that is almost 7000 people a day and we don't go crazy over this. If anything natural causes is the biggest killer on the earth so why are we not giving this press and shoving loads of money at this problem 🙂

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/03/05/1915246/irans-answer-to-the-coronavirus-outbreak-cut-the-internet

Lets release 54000 prisoners 'temporarily' .... wtf? A prison is a secure environment, the virus is not there its probably one of the safest places to be.... if anything you don't allow visitors. And all guards need to be screened since they are the only ones that can leave prison grounds.

Shutting off the internet just causes even more panic to the populous .... ugh govt's when you do this, it makes people more crazy/hostile/unpredictable .... the governments of the world are screwing up just take your licks and criticism and prevent this from happening again..... Maybe not dabble in creating lvl 4 diseases in a lab maybe 🙂

Hahah I will stop my mild ranting.... Our press in the USA is really blowing this up and scaring most of the populous. What they don't talk about is that there is thousands of people all over the world that have probably caught the virus and recovered at home without issue like most people do when they fall ill. You can see these videos online. Our press is always negative, for once preach hope and not despair. 

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I don't know what to think anymore. To me it seems a bit.....

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

4 horseman of the apocalypse is coming

We are a few weeks ahead of you this side of the pond and have a bit more data to reflect on. Everywhere outside of China the disease shows a remarkably steady 30% increase of the reported cases from day to day, and mostly regardless of the "mild Western style" containment measures thrown at it. Also it has been evaluated to be about 50% more contagious than the usual flu and about 10 times more deadly (around 2%) especially for the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions.

So the issue is that letting the virus spread uncontrolled like the seasonal flu does would pretty much amount to a "genocide-per-carelessness" of the most fragile people (+ some unlucky younger and previously healthy ones). In France this would mathematically lead to about 100,000 deaths for instance. Obviously this is not acceptable.

Regarding time frames a 30% daily increase is about x10 per 8 days or about x10,000 per month.

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

... especially for the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions.

I'm in both groups, and I'm being careful out there!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

I'm in both groups, and I'm being careful out there!

As you should. Here the authorities have officially put all nursing homes in emergency protection mode and have asked the general population to be very careful and postpone all visits to their loved elder ones, especially when kids would be present. The young ones seem to be nearly completely immune but are expected to carry the virus very effectively, especially since it's even more difficult for them to follow demanding hygiene rules. That's the rationale for closing schools.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

Here the authorities have

Where's here, D-C? I'm a rightpondian, SE England.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Where's here, D-C? I'm a rightpondian, SE England.

Oh I'm not very far away: Normandy, France ^^

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

I've heard all sorts of theories on this bug... some of it downright tin-foil hat wearing crazy... (apologies to anyone wearing one at the moment).

Everyone should just take some common sense precautions and not overly fixate on this thing. After all, if it isn't one thing, it's another, none of us are immortal. So why stress? Live this life as best you can and smile along the way when you can... the alternative is quite boring imo.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Hey @d-c-elington, so do you think most of Europe is really like Italy its just they are hiding the truth a little from  the populous to not have them panic? I did notice that 80%+ of all the deaths in the USA were older individuals, a nursing home got hit hard in Washington state. I live in mid-state in New Hampshire, USA pretty low population where I live so the only time we can be exposed to this is work or when the kid is at school.

I listen to this youtube channel for most Covid-19 info: https://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisMartensondotcom  

I agree @gaius-konstantine I haven't limited any of my schedule or what I do. The only thing I haven't locked in yet is my trip to the Philippines to see the wife. I usually go in July, I wanted to buy the tickets soon (they have dropped $800 in price, nice). But in the back of my mind I don't want to get trapped in foreign country or quarantine there because of this virus.  

@Cody, stay safe buddy. I definitely do not want to give a member of the station a send off from the airlock 😉 I will have maintenance making sure the air filtration systems are getting the job done.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geraldine

I don't know what to think anymore. To me it seems a bit.....

I doubt that would happen.... we would kill each other first before a virus would kill that many... when people people panic all humanity seems to leave most people these days. Maybe this was started by governments for a reason.... like reading the Georgia guidestones here in the USA

This post was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

none of us are immortal.

Sure but that's your personal state of mind and you're perfectly entitled to it. However transmitting the virus to someone else is a very different issue. Things can get real and ugly very fast: I'm supposed to meet my family in April and one of my aunts recently had heart surgery and is very fragile. What if I don't pay attention and get a nearly silent form of the disease, infect her and she dies from it?

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 10