Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 3 / 10

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

@Cody staying in your home isn't mandatory is it?  They are just recommending you to stay home if your able too. They know people have to work, buy food and go to appointments. Do you have to go to the hospital to do your eye appointment? Is it something a eye doctor can do right in their practice? Because if this virus sticks around a which the hospitals will probably be rescheduling a lot of appointments for everyone. Which in some ways is unfair, the hospital should try to reserve some space/doctors for processing non covid-19 patients... but personally I wouldn't even want to go to the hospital if I don't have the virus because you might leave with it 🙂

@gaius-konstantine thats a big question.... govts asking resturants and bars to close down early or all together, hotels are closing/laying-off staff because no one is traveling. No one is buying cars, going on vacation, shit just not making any purchases at all just to save money because they don't know if they will have a job in 1-2mos.... I have literally watched my 401k loose 50% of its value in 3wks I am now set back to the early 2000s in value. I am sure the market will recover in strength but how long will that take? I did see an article where Amazon might hire another 100000 people to help process all of the online orders because everyone is at home.

I went into work today and there was 5 people on my floor the rest of them were working from home, which I might do that a few days every week until this calms down. But least I have the type of job where I can do that, most people do not. Businesses closing or restricting travel or curfews might make people more desperate than the virus will and that might mean trouble... you cannot just keep millions of people in there homes its not going to go over so well.... especially not for 1-3mos

Here in NH we have about 17 people with about 300 on watch, so I guess we are doing well. Better than most states.

Posted by: @d-c-elington

10% of the cases require a stay in ICU, hence the heavy load.

That's crazy, if infection rates explode in quantity there is going to be a lot of people that will not be able to be treated 🙁  anyone hear anything about recovery rates, Is most people recovering?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

staying in your home isn't mandatory is it?

No... at least, not yet! Hard to enforce anyway. You know, the darker tentacles of government are probably loving this. A chance to wargame a "control the masses" scenario in a live-fire environment. Am I cynical? You bet!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

A chance to wargame a "control the masses" scenario in a live-fire environment. Am I cynical? You bet!

Hahah trust me I try not to go down the conspiracy route with this topic.... but if there is one thing that prevents US Govt from trying that crap is the there is over 375000000 privately owned weapons in the USA 👍  

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

there is going to be a lot of people that will not be able to be treated 🙁  anyone hear anything about recovery rates, Is most people recovering?

That's the big issue. When all can be properly treated the death rate appears to be very low, hence the initial confidence of some physicians when they had only a few cases to treat. However as soon as there are more patients than ICU beds things get ugly very fast and the rate can reach ~ 5% as reported by China, Italy, and probably everywhere in a matter of days. In the North East of France the situation is alarming and we are already hearing about the medical staff having to "choose" whom can be treated with the best chance of survival. To the point that the army is now installing a field hospital in the area and will transport some patients to other regions under less pressure (source: our president himself, live on TV yesterday).

At noon today (03/17) France will be under full lockdown with people having to stay at home by law except for work (when impossible from home) and essential needs. IMHO this will soon happen to all of you still a few days ahead, so you might want to reasonably prepare before you have to do so among a panicking crowd.

Stay safe

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

That's the big issue

Yep! Army field hospitals are on the agenda here in England too. Visions of MASH come to mind.

This morning, my usual supermarket was not well-stocked - lots of empty shelves! Alarming!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

the economic consequences are going to be quite severe.

SSC is about gaming so for a moment let's look at the big picture as if we were in a 4X sim: IMHO if a "great" civilization in-effect cannot afford to protect its population from perfectly manageable disasters (just #StayTheF..kHome!) then it is not so "great" after all!

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

lots of empty shelves! Alarming!

There has been a wave of panic-buying here also but no real shortages. Italy leads the way on that front too and it seems that people get disciplined and things get back to normal rapidly.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

This is a good site to track things: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The total value has gone up almost 4000 just this morning that is alarming, germany looks to be rising quickly. I haven't been to the store since Friday but I will go again this Friday and I hope the grocery will have some food there 😉 

Schools are closed to at least the 1st week of April, and I will work from home a few days a week until then as well. I think New York is going to grow in numbers soon.... can't imagine any sick people on a subway could infect hundreds. They will be starting clinical tests of a vaccine in like 1-2wks here in the usa, so I hope for everyone we can get something by the end of the year.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

SSC is about gaming so for a moment let's look at the big picture as if we were in a 4X sim: IMHO if a "great" civilization in-effect cannot afford to protect its population from perfectly manageable disasters (just #StayTheF..kHome!) then it is not so "great" after all!

I like that idea, we're in a 4X. (actually, I appear as a character in one already, due to my contributions in getting it off the ground). Alas, where I'm at these days, is not a "great" civilization, just a sleepy little island that's great for raising kids and just chilling as you get on in years. I'm also not able to stay home due to my work... but it isn't that bad as everywhere I go I see a 90% reduction in the number of people out.

At least we have the gaming industry to distract us during these times, very helpful for those that must stay home.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

At least something positive has come out of it...

This year's Eurovision Song Contest will no longer take place due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

great for raising kids and just chilling as you get on in years

If you keep Bhutan's "Gross National Happiness" index in mind this sounds quite nice actually! Incidentally I'm afraid our 4X game is missing "moral alignment" ratings depending on the choices related to events. For instance:
"An outbreak is threatening your population, will you offer paid leave for the sick?"...
"No they would become lazy"...
Great you've just killed 1 million more, +10 points towards Evil.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

"moral alignment" ratings depending on the choices related to events. For instance:
"An outbreak is threatening your population, will you offer paid leave for the sick?"...
"No they would become lazy"...
Great you've just killed 1 million more, +10 points towards Evil.

Hahaha.... I think every choice you make will give you negative alignment... like the USA they are talking about giving the people money... Oh great, lets inflate our currency so its worthless, free money = lazy people...

People don't really get it, this shit sometimes happens and it sucks for a lot of people. You may go hungry, you may go without, you may loose a job, you may even loose your life.... people have forgotten what its like to struggle or to go through bad times. If we were all going through a world war I am sure it would be a lot worse than this, the govt wouldn't be giving everyone money etc... 

I am not heartless, but the majority of people in the USA have never struggled through anything in their life.... shit a few years back the power went out in NY city for like 48-72hrs and you thought the apocalypse had started. We actually need something like this to happen every so often to wake people up from their bubble life that life can be cruel and hard sometimes and you have to change and adapt.

I am sure a lot of people are worried, i am worried about some aspects of all of this and of course worried about all the SSC members all over the world. But we will get through this and be stronger and hopefully change our thinking so this cluster is better run next time.

Little rant.... I like the how all of our countries love having open borders but the moment something like this happens they have no problems shutting them 🙂 hehe this is why we have country borders so we can scrutinize the people coming into our countries maybe if we all were doing this from the beginning this virus would have been less impactful for everyone 🙂

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

people have forgotten what its like to struggle or to go through bad times

Hum isn't that what we call "civilization" and "progress"? 😉 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Finding fresh meat (and even tinned meat) was difficult this morning.

If that continues, I'll be eating a lot of rice over the next few weeks.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<sips sour apple schnapps and contemplates a return to the simple life>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

On the closure of Stonehenge at the Equinox,  due to Covid-19...

Stuart Hannington, a druid, also stayed behind the fence, accepting it was fair to restrict access. “They’re closing the churches so it seems OK that they are not allowing us to get to the stones. It’s disappointing but we have to make sacrifices.”

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

On the closure of Stonehenge at the Equinox,  due to Covid-19...

Doesn't make sense why they would restrict access to Stonehenge...? They could limit the amount of people there at a time. I can see why churches would need to limit activity because of the close proximity people are when at church. This makes no sense....

Finding fresh meat (and even tinned meat) was difficult this morning.

If that continues, I'll be eating a lot of rice over the next few weeks.

It's still been okay at the grocery store if your not really looking for canned or dried goods. Yeah the grocery bill was a bit higher because the cuts of meat that were there were the more higher priced options. So I picked up a large ham and looks like I will be eating on that for a few days. How is fresh fruits and vegetables there @Cody are they wiped out as well?

I see that Italy, Spain, Germany and the USA are increasing daily with the amount infected 🙁  I saw this article title today and made my heart drop a bit for all of those older people that are infected in Italy... 

Israeli doctor in Italy: We no longer help those over 60

Israeli medical doctor Gai Peleg told Israeli television that in northern Italy the orders are not to allow those over 60 access to respiratory machines.

Remind me not to retire to Italy!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<nods> Yeah, this was bound to start at some point. Who do you try and save? When the numbers increase beyond available resources, those with the better chance of surviving will get preferential treatment. I guess it has to be that way!

As for fruit and veg, D1, I'm still finding that on the shelves. Doubled-up on raspberries this morning!

The big test will come on my next major foraging expedition - the 'elderly hour' Tuesday morning.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Confirmed: eye surgery cancelled. They'll be in touch, probably after the zombie apocalypse!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Were in a total lock down, here in Greece. Not many fatalities (20 after the latest official briefing),  but the government, had moved swiftly before the situation got out of hand!! These last two days CONVID case are in decline, although its far from over. We are still looking at least two weeks lock down period, and we will be grateful if this crisis will be over in May, when temperatures will rise.

Our economy will take a hit, since tourism contributes a large percentage of our GDP and we were just recovering from a 10 year long debt crisis. 

On the fun side, 135 tones of contraband moonshine was released by the police to pharmaceutical companies, in order to produce disinfectants!!!!

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @captainkal

Were in a total lock down, here in Greece.

Kουραγιο αδερφε. Same here in Cyprus now, and I got to tell you, I'm resentful. Feeling out the population on a few blogs tells me I'm not alone. I feel that this place could have shut the borders quickly and at least lessened the economic damage by doing so. But here it's all about money, so they waited too long. Should have followed the Russian example. 

At least I'm glad I got my fix of Greece this past summer, it was nice to be home for a while...

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @captainkal

Were in a total lock down, here in Greece. Not many fatalities (20 after the latest official briefing),  but the government, had moved swiftly before the situation got out of hand!!

Kudos to your government. And just as well, as you have a problem on your border with Turkey, yes? That seems to have dropped out of the news here in the UK. We have near-total lockdown here now, provisionally for 12 weeks.

Same here in Cyprus now

My sister got the last plane out of Cyprus to England. Her late husband was a Greek Cypriot, and a real gent!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

My sister got the last plane out of Cyprus to England. Her late husband was a Greek Cypriot, and a real gent!

I'm glad your sister got out Cody... and sorry about her late husband. The people here are pretty cool, especially in Larnaca where I'm at these days. I can't figure out if it's a small city or a large town, a bit of both I suppose. I've been here for a while now, my rather peculiar life has allowed me to live in many countries over the years, with the exception of my own homeland which I seem to only visit, lol. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Alas, I never got to Cyprus, but as a young man I recall island-hopping around the Aegean on rust-bucket ferries (deck class). Very few islands had airports back then. 'Twas a long time ago, but such sweet memories remain!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Alas, I never got to Cyprus, but as a young man I recall island-hopping around the Aegean on rust-bucket ferries (deck class). Very few islands had airports back then. 'Twas a long time ago, but such sweet memories remain!

You made me smile Cody. I served in the Aegean and loved travelling around by slow boat every chance I got. Back then most of the larger Islands had air strips... but that was like a bus ride. So every time I was on leave, I'd get on a slow ship instead, it was like a mini cruise. I particularly remember one dark rainy night with a four hour pass, not enough time to do anything really. So I walked about a klik to the nearest town. I saw a light and headed towards it, turned out to be a tiny little tavern with four tables and a Yiayia (that's grandmother to my non-Greek friends), running it. She had some of the best home made Kebobs I've ever eaten and delicious local wine. The hospitality from the few locals that were hanging out there that night almost brought me to tears. I felt so alive, it was a magic moment in time...

This post was modified 4 years ago by Gaius Konstantine

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 10