Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 5 / 10

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I snuck out again today, sporting my Panama hat - 'twas glorious!

Hmm...

Up on the white veranda
She wears a necktie and a Panama hat
Her passport shows a face
From another time and place
She looks nothin' like that

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

none of us are immortal. So why stress?

This has always been such a strange reasoning to me.

None of us are immortal is exactly the the reason to stress and be careful.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @blah64

None of us are immortal is exactly the the reason to stress and be careful.

😆 Yup 🙂

My kids joke on me dad be careful the virus is out there you are in the age bracket of the people that could be most affected, they treat me like I am fragile 🙂 I personally want to live as long as I can, so I generally try to treat myself well. I think a big issue that comes out of this is now states/countries and govts will now be able to start a panic with ease for the populous whenever they want. I know here in the USA this stupid virus is causing more damage to our way of life than it is causing in human life. I truly do hope this isn't going to be the way life will be going forward, some of our leadership here are going way to far with limiting our rights, the people will only put up with this for so long.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Lockdowns are being eased, even lifted in some places, and the sheeple are becoming careless.

I'm being extra careful now, as I see this as a dangerous time for the vulnerables.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

We are going back to work here in NH as well, technically the governor would like people to stay home for the rest of the month but thats not going to happen. But USA might have a lot more infections in a few weeks with all the violent protesting going on here, like people are not suffering enough. I guess I am glad I live in a very small town in northern NH that never sees this type of stuff that is on TV, we only have like 5 cops here 🙂

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Posted by: @cody

I'm being extra careful now, as I see this as a dangerous time for the vulnerables.

Here (France) we are being said "the situation is under control" and I just checked the official figures this morning:
Wk 20 (lockdown lift on May 11th): 33 clusters, 14 under investigation, 19 contained
Wk 21: 45 clusters, 28 under investigation, 17 contained
Wk 22: 53 clusters, 42 under investigation, 11 contained

But then again maybe "under control" is the epidemiology term for "going banana at the expected rate"? 😐 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Hmm... clusters on the rise, eh? The UK passed 40K deaths today.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Yeah......saw that Cody. Pretty awful and I dread to think what the final total will be once this is over, if it ever is over that is. ☹️ 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Now the R number may be rising in parts of Britain. The deaths per capita numbers aren't good either.

I don't know which scenario worries me most: the World's governments are generally incompetent, and are making a pig's ear of it; or they actually do know what they're doing, and all is going to plan. Time I put some aprogalyptic music on, methinks!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

they actually do know what they're doing

I might be too cynical but I think they do: they acted to protect the population so they're in the clear on political correctness (more or less). But going on with lock-downs would be too expensive given the way the economy works, and people have to earn their living indeed.
So from now on I'm afraid this is survival of the less exposed / most cautious / fittest / luckiest... In that order since a lot depends on one's job, but they can still manage their social life, with risk factors now identified should they catch the bug, up to playing Russian Roulette for the most unfortunate ones... 🙁

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I have much-needed eye surgery scheduled for early April, which will almost certainly have to be cancelled.

Finally got a new appointment, as I was considered urgent. Went along to the eye clinic this morning, and quickly discovered they had me booked in for the wrong procedure. Much puzzled shaking of heads ensued, and now I await another re-arranged appointment.

This type of thing is not too unusual, I'm afraid - the brave yet tragic face of the NHS.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Back on topic...

Lockdowns have saved more than three million lives from coronavirus in Europe, a study estimates. The team at Imperial College London said the "death toll would have been huge" without lockdown. But they warned that only a small proportion of people had been infected and we were still only "at the beginning of the pandemic".

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I went into the office today for a day of work, the first time since early March and there was still only 7 people on my floor today. NH technically has the stay at home order lifted on July 1. But on my lunch today when I went for a walk, I noticed several places where there used to be a pub or a store that now has for rent signs. Lots of small businesses have been affected here and I will be interested in the long term affects on the economies of the world. We cannot stay shutdown forever people need to earn a living and the governments cannot just keep printing free money and devaluing all the currencies around the world.

In NH where I live there has been about 5400 infected in the whole state and about 250 have died. I am not down playing the virus, because it has definitely killed more people that the flu in our state. So there is concern over the spread, but now the summer months are here it show help to slow it down. I hope it doesn't come back when the cold months come in Oct-March.... I doubt our society could take another stay at home order for 60+ days

You read everyday that countries are starting to open back up, I hope that spread starts to slow and people can get their lives back. I hope everyone has been okay. My sisters eldest son got the virus and they quarantined the family for the two weeks, no one in the family other than him caught it and soon as they were retested they all went back to work with no issues. I know it depends on the person, so I hope the doctors can find more out about the virus and what key factors make it so deadly for some but not others?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

... what key factors make it so deadly for some but not others?

According to one study, bald men are more at risk of severe symptoms/death.

If true, and that's a big if, it'd be handy as I've still got a full head of hair.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

According to one study, bald men are more at risk of severe symptoms/death.

haha i'm screwed 😉

I generally don't get sick much at all but I am really into my health so maybe that has something to do with it. And maybe some of those mystery shots I would get in the Army when I deployed to different spots help 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

After three months of lockdown, I finally cracked and took the cutters to my hair, which was looking a little wild.

I'll never make a barber, that's for sure! It's still looking a little wild, but at least it's now much shorter!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

I'll never make a barber

That's when good old text forums are so nice, I really can't understand the passion for selfies! 😀

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

I really can't understand the passion for selfies!

You and me both, amigo! The Selfie Generation - crazy!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I am not really a barber either but I cut my sons hair and my own, my own is a bit easier since I cut it off 🙂

Looks like the virus seems to have calm down in NH but getting a lot of cases down in the southern states. 

Whats the world to do? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Lockdowns are being re-introduced in Europe, travel restrictions re-introduced too, and the likelihood of a second wave is increasing. On your side of the pond, D1, things are looking grim too, from what I read. Could be a harsh winter!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

So many factors in play now. The Virus is bad, the economic impact from it devastating. It needs to be addressed obviously, but not with a one size fits all solution. Take my present location as an example. It's an island with less than one million inhabitants, the largest city is about 250k. This place went into full draconian lock down. We've had 12 deaths here attributed to the virus, meaning the economic impact is 200 million Euro per death. 

Had they restricted travel into and out of the island instead, and prioritised protecting the most vulnerable groups, (the sick and elderly), the local economy would have at least operated at a reduced capacity rather than grinding to a halt... the end result in number of cases would not have been significantly different. Sweden did something like this and the results were not bad, furthermore if anyone has acquired herd immunity it would be them. Compare that to my situation which will probably see a true 2nd wave in the winter and the gov't will not be able to respond with another full lock-down as the economy is already in the toilet.

We need solutions, but not just any solutions, they must be smart and have the greater good in mind. 

Stay safe, all of you.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

On your side of the pond, D1, things are looking grim too, from what I read. Could be a harsh winter!

Luckily I live in New Hampshire which is a much smaller and less populated state, I would say probably most of our infections came from Massachusetts. What makes it even worse is these riots happening in a lot of our bigger cities, causing even further infections and economic damage. Yeah the winter will be coming in about 3.5mos so I hope it starts to get better here. 

Had they restricted travel into and out of the island instead, and prioritised protecting the most vulnerable groups, (the sick and elderly), the local economy would have at least operated at a reduced capacity rather than grinding to a halt... the end result in number of cases would not have been significantly different.

I agree a lot with this, and some of the other things you have mentioned.

At some point we need to just suck it up and open it all and just say if people get sick they get sick... we are just prolonging this crap over months or a year... I agree that we should help the people that are at most at risk. But we are literally destroying our economy... USA is just printing money which will be a big problem later when the USA dollar looses even more buying power. Millions getting welfare or unemployment checks, millions of people are not paying their rent/mortgages. Its gonna get ugly in the next few months. So far so good I still have a job. 

I have noticed lots of extra cars in driveways in my neighborhood, so families are living together to conserve money and or prevent homelessness. With the winter coming in a few short months its going to get bad before it gets worse. But with USA averaging 10000+ cases a day this isn't going to be over for sometime the way we are going about this... but if we just said screw it let people do their thing least we could get herd immunity much quicker than this trickle effect we have going on.

My comments may sound insensitive, but I think we are doing more harm than good with our approach. The virus is really only serious or fatal to 5% or so of our populous. So why are we destroying the lives of 95% of the populous to save the 5%. I am in the age bracket for those that are susceptible to the virus just like a few of the members here. Last thing I want is to get sick, but I am willing to risk that than loose all I have worked for or have my family suffer because I loose a job.

Be safe everyone and I hope this virus goes away soon, we all deserve our lives to get better after dealing with this for months. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

We need solutions, but not just any solutions, they must be smart and have the greater good in mind.

Posted by: @sscadmin

least we could get herd immunity much quicker

Even though I'm in the highly-vulnerable group, I'm inclined to agree, albeit reluctantly. Thing is, no-one is certain that herd immunity can be achieved with this particular coronavirus. If it keeps mutating as it has been doing, all bets are off!

On a personal note, my cancelled eye surgery has been re-scheduled for August. However, due to Covid-19 precautions, I will now have to self-isolate for fourteen days (from this Saturday), and then have a swab test to ensure I'm clear.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

On a personal note, my cancelled eye surgery has been re-scheduled for August. However, due to Covid-19 precautions, I will now have to self-isolate for fourteen days (from this Saturday), and then have a swab test to ensure I'm clear.

Good luck Cody! Wish you smooth sailing all the way.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Well, you tell em, you need their best work as you got Thargies to deal with! Who else is gonna save humanity from this menace! 😎 

Seriously tho, hope it goes well for you Cody. Stay safe CMDR. o7

This post was modified 4 years ago by Geraldine

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 10