Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 6 / 10

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I love Pete Rowan! Seen him live several times, usually in what was once my local pub.

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

If it keeps mutating as it has been doing, all bets are off!

Totally forgot about mutations of the virus that have been identified, yeah I think your right there Cody.

On a personal note, my cancelled eye surgery has been re-scheduled for August

I hope all goes well with this surgery and when you have it there is no side effects. I have known a few people that have had different laser surgeries to their eyes that fixed everything all up for them and they are doing great. So I hope your outcome is what you expect.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

One eye done - so far, so good. Now one eye works with my glasses, and the other doesn't. <dons black eye-patch> Aarrrgh! The other eye's TBA - eight weeks or so. Come Winterfest, I should be fully functional again. Aarrrgh!

This post was modified 4 years ago by Cody

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Glad the procedure is working for you @Cody and hope you can get the other eye done soon with the same result. Yeah I know you probably enjoy your inner pirate side 😉 but I know you can't wait for it to be done and have your vision back to normal again.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

I know you can't wait for it to be done and have your vision back to normal again.

Too right! My beloved Cobra has been hangared since last winter!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

France has recorded almost 10,000 new coronavirus cases in 24 hours, marking its highest single-day count since the start of the outbreak.

Whilst here in England, the screws are tightening again!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

They are saying since the cold months are coming that things could start to ramp up again. I know in NH where I live in the USA I think there has been like 8-9k cases total so we definitely have not been hit as hard as other states in the USA. But my kid is starting school again and he will be fully remote, I go to work a few days a week and work from home the other days and really only still go out for groceries.

I hope lock downs don't start again all over the world, I think it will start messing with peoples state of mind and cause depression. My son had a physical recently and I just asked him a few questions and he was most concerned about all the people that have actual serious conditions that are not being treated because people are worried about getting sick and they are getting worse by not continuing their care.

I hope everything is well with all SSC members and I hope no one has lost employment. Tough times for everyone and the holidays are soon to come as well.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

They are saying since the cold months are coming that things could start to ramp up again.

Aye, the virus likes damp and chilly. And if there's one thing England does well, it's damp and chilly!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Aye, the virus likes damp and chilly. And if there's one thing England does well, it's damp and chilly!

Yes and in Normandy we get the edge of these big weather systems of yours! Incidentally I'm just emerging from what looked like a "flu". A good reminder that covid or not covid getting sick is never pleasant.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

Yes and in Normandy we get the edge of these big weather systems of yours!

<grins> Always pleased to share our weather with our friends across la Manche.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

heh the damp and chilly weather only for like 1-2mos here then the cold sets in and we will rarely be above freezing for months, so I doubt the virus will be too effective where I live once Dec gets here. But my years in Germany when I was in the Army their winters are cold and damp so I could defninitely see the virus sticking around in that sort of climate.

As always stay safe, the station does have a really good decontamination station so no worries we are safe here 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

... then the cold sets in and we will rarely be above freezing for months...

Yeah, you get proper winters there in New England, whereas here in Old England, proper winters are rare - and becoming rarer. I expect that'd change if the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift got turned off. Latitude-wise, England's about 10º further north than NH.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The Covidiots are at it again, stripping supermarket shelves of toilet paper. Words fail me!

A second wave was inevitable, but at least hospitals are better prepared this time.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Its been pretty calm in the supermarkets for months now, they say on the news that infection is picking up a little but least for now no one is rushing the supermarkets. If you were smart you been buying a little extra every week for months. So if the covidiots start amassing  we can stay far away in our own little fortress of solitude. 🙂

Stay safe all, and maintenance has been keeping our decontamination unit in tip-top shape... we all good here 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

If you were smart you been buying a little extra every week for months.

My cupboards are usually kept well stocked with non-perishables (rice, lentils, pinto beans, tinned meat and fruit, etc). If tomorrow heralded the dawn of the zombie apocalypse, I figure I'm good for a few weeks at least.

What I really don't need is another lockdown, if only for the fact it'd delay my second eye op!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Stay safe @Cody, hopefully you can get your operation before things are getting too bad. The situation is rapidly degrading this side of the Channel and the healthcare system is again on its way to be "covid only" soon 😑 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I know I been reading more and more in the European countries the populous is starting to protest the govt controls and lockdowns, I think I heard Italy wants out of the EU. Excuse my ignorance if I am totally wrong on this, but wasn't the EU generally created for the participating countries to work together and prosper? Because that was one of Italy's main complaints was lack of help during pandemic from EU countries... 

This virus has definitely opened up peoples eyes to govt operations and the way countries are prepared for things like this. People want a change and I can't really blame them. Here in the USA state/local govt's have started lifting a lot of the restrictions because the people are basically revolting. Not speaking to the other protests/riots about BLM issues, but like here in NH restrictions are minimal and most stores still would like you to wear a mask but its only mandatory on a case by case basis for stores.

They say 1/3rd of all adults have missed a mortgage or rent payment since the virus started and will probably get worse because companies are closing or reducing staff like crazy.... airlines are laying off 300k people, even disney annouced 28k lay-offs yesterday. Economies are gonna struggle this winter 🙁 so try to prepare yourselves my fellow pilots 

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

but wasn't the EU generally created for the participating countries to work together and prosper?

It was... but convincing warring tribes of sapiens that they'd fare better working together takes time, especially considering that the process is fiercely resisted by local clan chiefs clinging to their precious power... /s
More seriously the EU is definitely not the "United States of Europe" as all countries remain distinct and all important decisions must be taken unanimously: needless to say that's very difficult. And so the EU's action is essentially limited to commerce, and it is only very slowly emerging as a transnational political entity.

You're right Italy was let down with the initial Covid-19 crisis, but also about immigrants together with Greece and Spain among other "North vs South" problems. However it should significantly benefit from the EU recovery plan (which will be a significant unifying step... provided it can go through).

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

Italy was let down with the initial Covid-19 crisis, but also about immigrants together with Greece and Spain...

The migrant crisis really showed the cracks in the EU - the treatment of Greece and Italy was disgraceful!

I'll refrain from having a rant about the EU though, as even typing two lines is difficult. Damn my eyes!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Damn my eyes!

Stop press! A light at the end of the tunnel!

Just had a call from the eye clinic: barring a sudden and complete lockdown, the second op is set for next Friday!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Excellent news! 🙂 

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

@cody Well Done!!!!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

@Cody, Oh I know you cannot wait. Hope all goes well and your vision can be a lot better than before, so I will be looking forward to next weeks update 🙂

Thanks @d-c-elington and @Cody on giving me the low down on what is going on in the EU, with being in the USA we don't always hear the accurate news heheh tons of fake news out there especially here in the USA. So its best to get the news from the people 😉

I do truly hope the 'recovery' does actually happen, because its looking grim here regardless of what our press and leaders say. So many companies closing and lay-offs happening. I am just lucky I work for a company that supports essential employment. But that doesn't always mean I am safe. So I hope everyone is well and definitely keeps their employment, the toughest part of the year is coming the next 6mos will be key.

News update... President Trump and first lady have covid-19 and some other staff members.... I believe the president will be fine he has that best medical care money can buy. But the political parties and press are gonna blow this up big time... especially since the election is like in 1 month. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Thanks for the good wishes, guys!

President Trump and first lady have covid-19

Does he actually have it though? Trailing in the polls, didn't come across well in the live 'debate', Covid-19 spiralling out of control. Perhaps a desperate attempt to garner a sympathy vote, and a neat way to sidestep another live debate? There's not much the current POTUS wouldn't do to get another four years in the White House. The gravely ill president carries on working, keeping the country safe. If the election's won, a sudden return to good health. If you thought Nixon was tricky, this guy has him beat. It would only take a lying doctor, or a de-fanged variant of the virus. It was probably a lying doctor that kept him out of that ghastly mess in Vietnam - five call-up deferments, I believe. Just for balance, I think Biden had four deferments.

A conspiracy theory? No! Am I cynical? You bet!

Talking of Tricky Dicky...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Cody, are you suggesting that El Presidente is going for the "Boris Sympathy Effect"? 😀 😀 

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 10