Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 9 / 10

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

More bad news (potentially - data are still uncertain) - it's easier to link the BBC article.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Yeah they saying we have a few different variants here in the USA too and I will have to agree with @d-c-elington here in the USA there is about 3k people dying every day.... yeah the majority of the deaths are to older folks and people with underlying conditions but its still it's 3k a day regardless. We have the virus killing thousands and causing economic chaos everywhere.... will be interested in how we are going to get out of this spiral.

I doubt highly this is a naturally occurring virus and its a damn shame none of our countries are really trying to find out why and where it came from, I have a pretty good idea on where it came from 😉 just need to know why.

Stay safe everyone and take care of yourselves .... I don't need to be doing this to any of the pilots at the station....

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

I have a pretty good idea on where it came from

Within China, it seems the airbrushing of Wuhan's role as the source of the pandemic is already well-advanced. The Chinese government is well-practiced at airbrushing history, the Tiananmen Square Massacre being a good example.

Going off at a tangent, one thing that worries me is that China will almost certainly be the first nation to colonise Mars, and perhaps the Moon too. Many years ago, a friend told me that the 21st century would belong to China - prophetic?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

Going off at a tangent, one thing that worries me is that China will almost certainly be the first nation to colonise Mars, and perhaps the Moon too. Many years ago, a friend told me that the 21st century would belong to China - prophetic?

I would have to agree that China is definitely embracing technology quicker than the USA, even though its to spy on every move of their populous... but with this embracing of technology I think they will be the first country to really start heavily using crypto. We all know that money rules this planet and those with it rule over those without it.... all countries need to start taking more notice, especially when a country that is pulling ahead is one that suppresses its own people for personal gain.... I think the world is getting more toxic.

We have the news stating that China is going to have a positive GDP this year and already at 2%+ and most other countries economies are shit because of the virus.... makes ya wonder huh 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Reds from the red planet.

Chinese have a plan and they are thinking in the 30 to 40 years ahead unlike western political leaders who only think in terms of the when the next election is. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @pinback

Chinese have a plan and they are thinking in the 30 to 40 years ahead

Yep! Does democracy hold us back? There's a nasty thought!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah it is a shocking really how quickly China went from 3rd world country to where they are now. What people need to think more about is how China is benefitting off this virus pandemic. I will admit China is great at squashing resistance to the CCP rule, just look how they quelled Hong Kong when they voted to take it back they came in and just took it and ended all that stuff. Breaking treaty agreements and the govt's of the world did nothing.... now China is eying Taiwan and since they received no resistance in HK I bet they might try for it especially during the current world crisis and maybe to test the new USA president. There is already news reports of China flying into their airspace on purpose.

This post was modified 3 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

now China is eying Taiwan and since they received no resistance in HK I bet they might try for it especially during the current world crisis and maybe to test the new USA president.

Yep, they're testing the new administration, right enough. Their activities in the South China Sea, establishing military bases on tiny islands which several nations claim, worry me. That's another potential flashpoint, located on major shipping lanes too.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

In the last 30 years the democracies have allowed big business to go into china and the Chinese's have been very cleaver in saying that they will let them make their goods cheaply in china, all they have to do is transfer their technology to china and anything they could not get that way they simply steal.

When they feel ready to take Taiwan, they will simply take it and will the world do anything about it, probably not.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pinback

In the last 30 years the democracies have allowed big business to go into china and the Chinese's have been very cleaver in saying that they will let them make their goods cheaply

100% right Pinback, all of our companies greed for profits have created a big problem. As we saw simply when the virus hit how our supply chains broke down and all the countries panic in how to get necessity item. I am afraid that Biden will not be hard enough on China.... all we can do is wait and see what all of the countries do to confront China? I did like how Australia was fighting back on the taxes and bands that China was doing to them.

establishing military bases on tiny islands which several nations claim, worry me. That's another potential flashpoint, located on major shipping lanes too.

Yes all of the Asian countries cannot really put up a fight to China's navy.... its the biggest Navy on the planet in quantity of ships/subs .... yeah their quality/tech may not equal a lot of the countries of the world.... but these Asian countries cannot match them and without the bigger countries of the world patrolling this area China could take it all very quickly actually.  

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The Vaccine - or how I learned to stop worrying and love the jab

Ten days after the jab, and I still feel normal - still human, still ugly! And apart from twenty-fours of utter exhaustion, no side effects. I have no urge to swing from the chandelier, no urge to climb trees - no untoward effects whatsoever. Oh wait [..........................] sorry about that, my wetware installed an update and had to reboot!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The Vaccine - or how I learned to stop worrying and love the jab

Just to be safe I have erected a quarantine barrier around your quarters .... you know just to be sure 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I have erected a quarantine barrier around your quarters .... you know just to be sure

No, please... let me out! I'm safe, I promise... nothing wrong with me at all. I am normal! It's just this image I have in my mind... it's kinda blue, and there's a message. It says: "WinVac has encountered a problem and will have to close!" What can it....... ?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Whats going on in Europe? Seeing some news that some of the countries are starting to lockdown again and they stopped issuing the vaccine (I haven't decided to take this yet). New strain?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Vaccine rollout has been poor in most of continental Europe, so cases are on the rise again. Also, some major contries (France, Germany) have paused use of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine due to fears of bloodclots. Fears which seem to be baseless.

The UK went solo (thankfully) when it came to ordering vaccines, rather than fall into line with the EU 'vaccine plan' (which we could've done), and rollout here in England is well ahead of schedule. The muppets at Westminster got something right at last!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Also, some major contries (France, Germany) have paused use of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine due to fears of bloodclots. Fears which seem to be baseless.

Even though I haven't decided to get the vaccine yet, we still don't really have a baseline to do an actual risk analysis... I guess we are doing that now 😉 people do need to think that we all have some unique qualities per individual and we are not exactly the same so in some certain situations some people could have issues with any foreign substance being injected into our bodies, this is why I generally wait to see what happens to the general populous and then decide.

You would have thought that each country would have put in the orders for the vaccine to at the least supply them to the elderly and 'at risk' people. How could they mess this up? Its been all over the news for months now about the vaccine and countries buying it 😉 As we all know our tax money doesn't always get spent on these politicians wisely. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Now the uber-bureaucrats of the EU Commission are playing politics with vaccine supplies/exports - again! Trying to deflect blame for their poor performance? I'm not saying the muppets at Westminster are any better, but at least I can vote them out. The prime directive of all such bureaucracies is to keep the trough which they have their snouts in full. This has been the case for centuries, if not millennia.

Politics should play no part in such a serious pandemic - but it does, unfortunately! Wake up, sheeple!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Second stage ignition confirmed! Burn is nominal. Boosting to orbit!

If it's anything like the first jab, I'm in for a day of utter fatigue!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

If it's anything like the first jab, I'm in for a day of utter fatigue!

How you been feeling Cody? I have read a few news titles that France, Italy and maybe some others are starting to lock folks down again. Since you got both shots does this mean your free to go and do what you want now?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

How you been feeling Cody?

Instead of a day of fatigue, I got two days of flu-like aches and pains. Worse than the first jab, but all gone now and I'm back to normal. I'm not exactly frolicking around like a spring lamb, more hobbling around like an old man. Oh wait... I am an old man!

Things look bad in Europe! Seems to me they've really fucked-up their vaccination roll-out, and countries like France are battling an anti-vaccine mood. The EU blame AstraZeneca for a shortage of vaccine doses, and there's this fear of blood clots linked to the AZ vaccine, which has led to its use being suspended. If I had the choice, I'd go for the one I've had (Pfizer-BioNTech), but it's a numbers game in effect.

Since you got both shots does this mean your free to go and do what you want now?

Good question! I certainly feel more confident now about doing what I want, but we've become conditioned into being cautious. I'm not liking that too much. The idea of a Covid-19 'passport' is attractive, and I think any form of travel will require one, now and for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure I'd want it as an app though - too easily tracked for my liking. Some sort of certificate, or an actual stamp in my passport (like a visa), would be my preference. We shall see how the UK government goes about it.

I've got some future travel vouchers from British Airways (instead of a refund), and I'm itching to use them!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Having now had both my jabs, and with lockdown being lifted tomorrow (in England), I was looking forward to going out and getting drunk. Unfortunately, my favourite watering hole (going back decades) has had to close permanently. Damn!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The idea of a Covid-19 'passport' is attractive, and I think any form of travel will require one, now and for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure I'd want it as an app though - too easily tracked for my liking. Some sort of certificate, or an actual stamp in my passport (like a visa), would be my preference. We shall see how the UK government goes about it.

I am still up in the air on this, I think personal choice always matters regardless of the situation. Because if we allow our govts to mandate things too us it will only get more restrictive slowly for the citizens, people are not stupid if covid-19 was super deadly everyone would gladly take this vaccine. I guess my views are a bit different than most because I have been in the military and I have been to numerous countries and I have seen a lot over the years and I hate seeing freedoms suppressed regardless of the context.

Unfortunately, my favourite watering hole (going back decades) has had to close permanently. Damn!

That has happened a lot here, there has already been over 10k business closures so far in the USA. Its going to be a different world when we do get some normalcy again. So many people will decide against opening up a businesses because if the govts can just make people stay home or make it hard to shop or visit them then these good people will just loose their life savings. Because you are right now people in general are more cautious when they leave the safety of their homes so that alone will limit peoples movements.

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I have been to numerous countries and I have seen a lot over the years and I hate seeing freedoms suppressed regardless of the context.

I too have been to numerous countries, and I don't mean as a tourist. I've spent time in Turkish Kurdistan, and seen how oppressed the Kurds are by the Turkish government. Erdogan is a dangerous man, who has NATO (and the EU) by the bollocks. The Kurds are a good people, and deserve their own homeland, but they always seem to end up being shafted, and not only by Turkey. Western powers have used them, when it suits their geopolitical purposes, and then abandoned them. I've travelled right across Iran, which is a beautiful country with a long and rich history, but authoritarian religion now holds sway there. Not so long ago, Iran had a secular democratic government. Now, dissent is not tolerated.

Damn, I've gone into rant mode, which I try to avoid when online. Hope I've not offended anyone. I need a drink!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Here's a twist...

The Financial Times reports that China's Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has suggested mixing vaccines to bolster the efficacy of jabs. In addition to mixing vaccines, the number of doses and the interval between them might also be amended, Gao Fu, the head of the CDC, said. It is the first time a government body has acknowledged concerns over the effectiveness of domestic vaccinations, the paper reports.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

@cody I saw that this morning on a headline, China's leaders are saying the vaccine isn't really effective. I listened too a video the other day on the China leadership they are not taking their own vaccine hahaha. I think its a mistake rushing this out to the masses and having multiple countries making different variants. The countries should get together and put the responsibility on 1-3 very respectable bio-chemical companies. We have all heard that covid-19 is now has different strains and they say this African strain is a badass and the vaccine has no effect. 

This vaccine could be somewhat effective, but it could also give people a false sense of security. Like you mentioned your habits have changed and you are more cautious now. I know I am and I try to be more careful around specific situations. I know I would never let them stick multiple different types of vaccines into my body, the risk is not worth the reward for me. I want too see more studies and trials on these vaccine rollouts, I value my health greatly and I basically trust me 🙂 I seek out medical assistance only when necessary. 

Stay safe all, Its times like these I love being on a space station 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10