Internet Kill Switc...

Notifications
Clear all

Internet Kill Switch

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I was reading this article today and because of the things going on with Egypt that this bill will probably come up for vote eventually.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/0 ... gislation/

I think I would be safe to say that the majority of the infrastructure for the internet resides in the USA and if this bill would pass it would give the president of the USA the ability to shutdown the internet in case of some sort of emergency. I don't think this type of bill should ever be passed because I agree with that this power could disrupt the world not just the USA and cause more harm than it protects. To protect from what? All private services, security, federal, medical sensitive information should be on a computer system that cannot be accessed from the internet any way right 🙂

I know when I was in the military we had machines that was on the web and we had machines on the internal network that could not get out on the web. No one should never be able to cripple any country via the web because all critical systems should not be on the web period. The web should be solo for learning, info storage and fun.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Aero wrote:
But I don't think this would ever be implemented in the US, because that goes against the Bill of Rights: even public libraries have unobstructed uncontrolled uncensored access to ideas and information representing all points of view. But other places do not have this luxury.

You would think it would be unconstitutional and it wouldn't pass but the current administration seems to have no problem passing legislation like this (ahem... the health bill). When the gov't can pass a bill like this that could possibly shutdown the internet world wide you have to step back and think whether your still living in a free country 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here is another article on the matter: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... itch_N.htm

Least there is some guidelines in it on when the President could do such a thing but really this could still be abused especially when it comes to the monetary values of lost money from US economy.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I think thats overstating the issue saying that it would shut down the world. Many (All?) countries have their own hosts and servers, they would be un-affected as would the lines between said countries. People would have to forgo their facebook, but I think they could manage 🙂

So this sounds more to me about censorship.

Quote:
I know when I was in the military we had machines that was on the web and we had machines on the internal network that could not get out on the web. No one should never be able to cripple any country via the web because all critical systems should not be on the web period. The web should be solo for learning, info storage and fun.

I thought the American military had its own internet like thing with its own networks and servers. It even has a cool sounding acronym if my memory serves 🙂 ... Ah yes ARPANET. 😉

Surely there's no way they would shut that down in a crisis, they would be crippled...

ReplyQuote