What is your though...

Notifications
Clear all

What is your thoughts on WikiLeaks?

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

You almost cannot know something about this controversial website that was created by a former hacker.

What I think? Hmmm I am actually am a bit open about this because countries and leaders hide what they are thinking and what they know about each other all the time so they can use that knowledge to manipulate each other to comply or do other things in world politics. But on the other hand, part of me thinks, well if the governments was better at DESTROYING sensitive material this would never happen would it 🙂

People trying to press charges against the Wikileaks owner... why? Why don't you put some of the government employees responsible for the sensitive information in jail for not doing their duty. That is what is wrong with society today, is that there is no accountability.

Should Wikileaks be held accountable for any actions because of the release of secret material? How can they really because this website originates in Australia outside the jurisdiction of the USA. All the USA can do is ask a favor of Australia's gov't to shut it down. Which I doubt will happen since so much already has been leaked already.

I should download the 350mb report and see what is in there, the site is to slow to use most times so not really worth my effort to dig in more on this. But it is quite a seen in blogs and on the news about todays events.

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Such a "project" has its ups and downs. Still I believe that most of the stuff which is labeled as top secret, should remain that way. The society as we know it relies on secrets and lies. Imagine what would it be if we always told the truth in our lives, how many friends would we still have if we'd always tell them exactly what we think about them. It just doesn't work that way ... especially since we're talking here about huge secretes, which can damage relations between nations and put many people at risk.

This is a subject for intense debate because as I said, "leaks" are sometimes bad and sometimes good but it's hard to decide which is which cause what may be bad for someone could prove beneficial (as leverage or whatever) for someone else ...

Honestly, unless it "leaks" secret reports of aliens roaming on Earth, I believe they should refrain from leaking other reports (such as troop placements / tacticts / agency reports etc). That's my view of it anyway.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  
SolCommand wrote:
The society as we know it relies on secrets and lies. Imagine what would it be if we always told the truth in our lives, how many friends would we still have if we'd always tell them exactly what we think about them.

Hahah, Facebook friendlists would get greatly reduced across the world if everyone started speaking the truth all the time 🙂

What is messed up about this whole situation is that the majority of all these leaks have been done from all the different embassy's across the globe. I'm sure there is a lot of embarrassing goodies for all the countries involved and hope the owner of wikileaks has made a lot of money because he might be looking over his shoulder for a while 😉

But I would be his #1 fan if he can get a hold of all the Area 51 intel

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I love the fact that we live in a time when things like this are possible..

Fight the Power ... hehe

Has anyone found anything really juicy on wikileaks? I was reading it last night but it all seems extremely trivial.

Quote:

You should write to them and request it 😉 Freedom of Information act and all that ... Its probably coming quite close to the time when a lot of that information should be legally available.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

merged posts.

ReplyQuote
LCCX
 LCCX
(@lccx)
Crewman Registered

Darkone wrote:
People trying to press charges against the Wikileaks owner... why? Why don't you put some of the government employees responsible for the sensitive information in jail for not doing their duty. That is what is wrong with society today, is that there is no accountability.

People are trying to press charges against Julian Assange because he is acting irresponsibly and believes that he should not be held accountable for the results of his actions. I am very sure that when the investigative probe identifies the employee(s) who leaked this information to WikiLeaks, they will be prosecuted like the court-martial of the military analyst that leaked the war documents. The lack of accountability is entirely on WikiLeaks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ate/67211/

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democrac ... /wikileaks

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democrac ... te_secrecy

I'd have a hard time pinning my thoughts and feelings down better myself. In an attempt at a short version:

[*:2br65830]It is one thing for American information documenting American affairs to be leaked to American citizens. It is another thing entirely to take the private communications of private citizens with foreign political leaders and release them to the world.

[*:2br65830]It is one thing for a major media organization, which has money and jobs to lose and can be held culpable for damage done by uncovering secrets, to leak select information it believes to be relevant to the average citizenry. It is another thing for an organization, which operates outside of the nation-state system and thus effectively above most laws, to leak information willy nilly to everyone and anyone.

ReplyQuote
Solace
(@solace)
Senior Chief Registered

Darkone wrote:
SolCommand wrote:
The society as we know it relies on secrets and lies. Imagine what would it be if we always told the truth in our lives, how many friends would we still have if we'd always tell them exactly what we think about them.

Hahah, Facebook friendlists would get greatly reduced across the world if everyone started speaking the truth all the time 🙂

What is messed up about this whole situation is that the majority of all these leaks have been done from all the different embassy's across the globe. I'm sure there is a lot of embarrassing goodies for all the countries involved and hope the owner of wikileaks has made a lot of money because he might be looking over his shoulder for a while 😉

I also hope he gets his hands on Area 51 intel. But if that happened. You know the government would have him assassinated.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

There is a lot of hype, hysteria, and disinformation about Wikileaks, so I was curious to know more about what motivates Julian Assange. I just saw the WikiRebels documentary from SVT (the Swedish equivalent of BBC), and it answered a lot of my questions.

I think the guy is a hero, and maybe the first hacker with truly good intentions mixed with some amount of common sense.

He is a soft-spoken guy, with an intelligent and rational point of view. He is not interested in airing random dirty laundry just for shock effect, as so many "real" media sources do for ratings. Assange is only interested in blowing the whistle on true government abuses. And *that* is something that is long overdue.

Assange is not perfect, and there are already other points of view (OpenLeaks.org). But the guy is trying to do something good for the world. I think that he already has, and I hope that he continues to do it.

ReplyQuote