Notifications
Clear all

Why so sterile?!

InvertedVantage
(@invertedvantage)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Sorry, I just thought it was strange that as soon as I went into this board's subsection, it seemed so lifeless; I mean, scroll down the page and there is not a single end point of any of the topics; no periods, exclamation marks, or question marks.

Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

oh, then i'm really needed here?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Speaking of sterile, we need to sterilize a lot of the populous from having children that is a fact. There is just some people that should never-ever breed.

Go into a 24hr Walmart anywhere in the USA around 11pm and you will know what I am talking about.

ReplyQuote
Dalkeith
(@dalkeith)
Senior Chief Registered

This is a world forum and English may not be the first language of some. Doubtless they do better than I would trying to write in their tongue.

I actually like forums where people don't use too many moving / flashing icons or over punctuate things.

The english language is expressive enough without emoticons. (my opinon)

I certainly don't consider the place lifeless

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

and suddenly life appears...

Quote:

Go into a 24hr Walmart anywhere in the USA around 11pm and you will know what I am talking about.

ok, we haven't the walmart chain here, but i guess i know what you mean, while "uh", i had to live in the city to recognize that.

and isn't it a bit hard judged of you?

whatever one might be, often it wasn't their choice, of course you could be right somehow, but phew that's risky to judge this.

my mother would slap me right in the face, if i would say something like that in front of her.

but well overpopulation is a problem and it's hard to break out of any vicious circle...

some more "periods, exclamation marks, or question marks"?

Quote:
The english language is expressive enough without emoticons

erm, i think he refered to this subforum especially and i guess he didn't ment emoticons or such, he misses only... how should i tell it?

that the articles could be less serious, that you can write about this matter without fixed statements, more questions and left open thoughts.

i mean it's (and i'm often one of this kind, "besserwisserisch", a know- is that right? looks strange) not very good to state a opinion as a fixed statement, it's far better to let people think themself. especially when it comes to politics because you repell people with fixed meanings about that matter (likewise religion is difficult and needs diplomacy), but give a hint or two and let them sleep over it, then they might change their decision.

politics can be a dry matter, it's a serious thing, but i can help 😉

also articles can be easy very long here, which keeps readers off sometimes i guess, i know this from my own posts.

[/hr]

apart from that, a article can have style, it can be very personalized without emoticons, think of my manner to write only lowercase, it's typical me.

i do the same in german boards, in the last i was posting articles, they first wondered about that manner (in german a lot is uppercase and the rules are rigid).

then i refered to DaDaIsM, it's a movement of artists a 100 years ago and has started in zurich and berlin*, tHere was the intention t0 coMpletely rem0ve uPPercase and only use it for style, nazis have forbidden it, you can imagine. after that it has been forgotten, so i revived it a bit.

soon later i found friends and one girl quickly copied my manner. she noted "it's cool and much quicker to write only lowercase". young people post often in three or four threads at the same time, i think that's amazing crazy.

*you could say UNO is a fruit of that, they formed back then the "weltgemeischaft", things like esperanto have been invented and, and, and...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Very true.

I have tried to learn both French and Spanish in school when I was a kid and failed miserably so props to anyone that bi-lingual. I think generally people are pretty good here about not using them. Plus I really don't like them myself too much so I don't install the packages to give people more. I probably would install some if I could find strictly a scifi themed ones.

InvertedVantage wrote:
Sorry, I just thought it was strange that as soon as I went into this board's subsection, it seemed so lifeless; I mean, scroll down the page and there is not a single end point of any of the topics; no periods, exclamation marks, or question marks.

Yes this is nice to have and proper paragraphs are nice as well. But it doesn't always happen, I can look past it all as long as the content is sound. That's what is nice about the internet is that you have the freedom to express yourself the way you want and if you want to leave the periods off than so be it (like me)

😆

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
strictly a scifi themed ones

hm, i have seen on german perry rhodan board, unfortunately all refer to the series i guess.

i link them up here for whatever purpose, fun if you like

http://www.ahnungs-los.de/allesmileys/p ... liste.html

attentive readers can use them already they have a url to copy/paste them.

while they aren't real emoticons, only a list of characters, but if one likes them...

breiskoll.gif

but no i didn't really need such and yes it can be confusing, you can easy get posts like on elite-games.ru which sometimes are nearly only emoticons.

are we such degenarated?

wait they have more to offer, sci-fi, fantasy of all kinds i guess

http://www.ahnungs-los.de/allesmileys/

this ones from the star-trek section

redshirt.gif

ReplyQuote